Bonavita Kettles One Year Later


Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

Bonavita Kettles One Year Later

Postby JRS22 » Aug 20th, '13, 11:28

I've been using variable temp electric kettles since shortly after I became a tea drinker. The first one, the Adagio Utilitea, which I purchased in November 2007, is still going strong. Two years ago I passed it on to the resident coffee drinker and he boils water in it several times daily. At that time I upgraded to an Adagio Varietea, which has temperature presets. I love that feature, but two years down the road the electronics don't work properly and it sometimes boils the water when it's turned off - clearly a safety hazard.

So, I've been thinking of buying the Bonavita gooseneck kettle. Early reviews here have been very positive, but I'm wondering how its been holding up. Would owners still recommend it to others?

Update: a lot of the negative reviews on Amazon for the variable and the original kettle complain about rust. My Adagio kettles have no rust or scale and I've never had to scrub them. I just rinse them occasionally.
User avatar
JRS22
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Nov 7th, '0

Re: Bonavita Kettles One Year Later

Postby debunix » Aug 20th, '13, 12:02

I'm very curious about the Bonavitas too. My Pino kettles do not make it easy to pour small volumes accurately and neatly into small pots/gaiwans/shibos, and one of them has a minor glitch that could justify replacing it if the Bonavitas are really holding up well.
User avatar
debunix
 
Posts: 5086
Joined: Jan 10th, '
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Bonavita Kettles One Year Later

Postby JD » Aug 20th, '13, 12:58

I've had the Bonavita variable temp goose-neck kettle for a couple weeks now and there's no rust. There is spotting on the bottom which occured after the first use but no rust. I'm not entirely certain what the spotting is but this same spotting happened on another electric kettle I've had for 10 years that also has no rust.

To avoid rust simply empty the kettle after using it and leave the lid off. You can also set it upside down on a towel to drain out.
User avatar
JD
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Apr 30th, '
Location: Puyallup, WA

Re: Bonavita Kettles One Year Later

Postby JRS22 » Aug 20th, '13, 13:18

JD wrote:To avoid rust simply empty the kettle after using it and leave the lid off. You can also set it upside down on a towel to drain out.


To my mind if air drying is necessary then I suspect the quality of the metal isn't as good as that used in the Adagio kettles. I don't have that much counter space and with the Adagio kettles when I rinse them I just put them back on the base with the lid up.
User avatar
JRS22
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Nov 7th, '0

Re: Bonavita Kettles One Year Later

Postby hopeofdawn » Aug 20th, '13, 13:34

I've only had mine since April, so I can't give a one-year review yet. That said--it pours beautifully into my tiniest pots, I've had no problems at all with temperature setting/holding, and while I have the same 'small dot' problem on the bottom that someone else mentioned, I'm pretty sure that's just the beginnings of mineral buildup and can be taken care of with a little descaler. (Bonavita actually recommends a specific brand in their manual.)

I've also seen no signs of rust, and I've been known to leave water in my pot for several days. The brushed steel exterior is pretty easy to keep looking clean as well. If I had a nitpick (and it's a teeny, tiny one), it's that the plastic over the buttons on the base is a little too easy to scratch/mar if you take the protective cover off. But that's me looking for something bad to say about it, really. I do love this kettle!
Last edited by hopeofdawn on Aug 20th, '13, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
hopeofdawn
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Dec 13th, '
Location: Seattle

Re: Bonavita Kettles One Year Later

Postby JD » Aug 20th, '13, 15:44

JRS22 wrote:
JD wrote:To avoid rust simply empty the kettle after using it and leave the lid off. You can also set it upside down on a towel to drain out.


To my mind if air drying is necessary then I suspect the quality of the metal isn't as good as that used in the Adagio kettles. I don't have that much counter space and with the Adagio kettles when I rinse them I just put them back on the base with the lid up.


Uhm..

That is the SAME THING.

Emptying, rinsing it out, and letting it air dry on the base with the lid up.. IS THE SAME THING.
User avatar
JD
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Apr 30th, '
Location: Puyallup, WA

Re: Bonavita Kettles One Year Later

Postby JRS22 » Aug 20th, '13, 16:35

JD wrote:
JRS22 wrote:
JD wrote:To avoid rust simply empty the kettle after using it and leave the lid off. You can also set it upside down on a towel to drain out.


To my mind if air drying is necessary then I suspect the quality of the metal isn't as good as that used in the Adagio kettles. I don't have that much counter space and with the Adagio kettles when I rinse them I just put them back on the base with the lid up.


Uhm..

That is the SAME THING.

Emptying, rinsing it out, and letting it air dry on the base with the lid up.. IS THE SAME THING.


You are absolutely right that It sounds like I'm doing the same thing. That's because I left out the embarrassing fact that I usually leave water in the pot and don't dry it out frequently.
User avatar
JRS22
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Nov 7th, '0

Re: Bonavita Kettles One Year Later

Postby 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Aug 21st, '13, 21:59

I've had my Bonavita (1.0 Liter Variable Temperature Gooseneck Electric Kettle) for nine 10 months now, using generally every day for an hour to two hour tea session. I have no complaints. I did a lot of research, both in the U.S. and in stores in Taiwan, and found the Bonavita to be a great product.

Important aspects to me are that the kettle have minimal or no hot water contact with plastic, pour well, and have a variable temp. setting possibility. The Bonavita pours immaculately. Once the water is warmed the kettle is quiet and does not distract from tea and conversation. The gooseneck spout attaching at the bottom of the kettle means that the pot keeps its steam/essence, not steaming out the spout the whole time, helping to preserve the temperature/氣 of the water. I find the 1.0 liter size to be perfect for me to pour 8-10 rounds with a 150 ml teapot and have enough hot water for clean up.

I've had no problems with my pot rusting anywhere. I use filtered or spring water and my pot does develop a small amount of scale; but I don't find this to be a problem. I have left water in my pot for 2 or 3 days at a time and had no problems with it. Generally though I finish my water while the pot is hot, open the top of the kettle, and the heat of the kettle (no longer "on") allows the leftover water to evaporate dry.

The pour of the gooseneck spout is so immaculate it allows me to pour from high heights into small pot openings when I wish to thin my pour stream from high to drop the water temp. if I am feeling the water may be too hot for a specific round. (ex. round two I often pour at lower temp. than the first and did an experiment noting which heights and stream thickness allowed a 1-2 deg C drop in temp. for different rounds.)

All together the Bonavita is quite a immaculate piece of technology and its appearance is elegant while also being functional. I've since had friends buy the Bonavita on my recommendation and also be quite happy with it.
User avatar
茶藝-TeaArt08
 
Posts: 451
Joined: May 11th, '
Location: Sacramento, California

Re: Bonavita Kettles One Year Later

Postby ethan » Aug 22nd, '13, 00:51

Same to say as TeaArt08 except I've had what I call "discoloration" on the rim of the lid. About every other month I ripe it away w/ a damp cloth. (That's it for a rust problem). Really very happy w/ this.
ethan
 
Posts: 457
Joined: May 27th, '
Location: Boston, MA 2/3; Thailand 1/3

Re: Bonavita Kettles One Year Later

Postby JRS22 » Aug 23rd, '13, 10:40

I'm just about convinced this is the kettle for me, based on these reviews. I intend to purchase from Amazon so if I get stuck with a kettle with a manufacturing defect (e.g. a few customers referred to crooked or improperly installed spouts) I can exchange it easily. I did notice that the lids are adjustable and now I wonder if the discoloration come from having a too-tight lid. I may appear to be over thinking this purchase but its something I use a number of times every day.

.
User avatar
JRS22
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Nov 7th, '0

Re: Bonavita Kettles One Year Later

Postby amaranto » Aug 23rd, '13, 17:43

I've had mine for almost nine months now—not a year, I know—and have had no problems with rust. I usually keep water in it for long periods of time, filling it back up when it's empty and only occasionally drying it out. The plastic coating over the buttons is not very durable, but I placed the protective slip included with the kettle over the base and have had no further problems.
User avatar
amaranto
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Dec 12th, '
Location: Mexico City

Re: Bonavita Kettles One Year Later

Postby JRS22 » Aug 23rd, '13, 19:20

amaranto wrote:I've had mine for almost nine months now—not a year, I know—and have had no problems with rust. I usually keep water in it for long periods of time, filling it back up when it's empty and only occasionally drying it out. The plastic coating over the buttons is not very durable, but I placed the protective slip included with the kettle over the base and have had no further problems.


If you can make a baby in 9 months then you can test a kettle so thanks for your info.
User avatar
JRS22
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Nov 7th, '0

Re: Bonavita Kettles One Year Later

Postby Devoted135 » Aug 23rd, '13, 22:51

JRS22 wrote:I'm just about convinced this is the kettle for me, based on these reviews. I intend to purchase from Amazon so if I get stuck with a kettle with a manufacturing defect (e.g. a few customers referred to crooked or improperly installed spouts) I can exchange it easily. I did notice that the lids are adjustable and now I wonder if the discoloration come from having a too-tight lid. I may appear to be over thinking this purchase but its something I use a number of times every day.

.


I don't think you're over thinking it at all! I've been searching for and reading bunches of threads like this one and have also come to the conclusion that when it's in the budget this'll be the kettle for me. Until then, my classic stovetop kettle boils water like a champ. :)
User avatar
Devoted135
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Sep 8th, '1


Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation