Dec 14th, '13, 00:17

Re: Zhongguo Yixing Seal

by Tead Off » Dec 14th, '13, 00:17

Can you post any examples with these seals,宜興紫砂 or 陽羨紫砂. I'd like to see what they look like on the bottoms.

From Billy Mood's Yixing site: In the early 1900s companies such "Tie Hua Xuan" and "Jin Ting Shang Biao" in Yixing and Shanghai engaged a number of renown potters, including Gu Jin Zhou & Wang Yan Chun, to make new teapots and copies of works of Ming and Qing masters. If the pot is a copy of past works, the potter would imprint his seal on the inner face of the cap as an indication that it is a copy. Chops of this era include seals that consist of patterns and no words, with English alphabets, mixture of Manchu and Chinese characters including those square seals with the chinese words "zhong guo yi xing" with or without flower patterns all round. Others with the Chinese words "yi xing zi sha" are also commonly found."

Dec 14th, '13, 00:30

by chrl42 » Dec 14th, '13, 00:30

Tead Off wrote:Can you post any examples with these seals,宜興紫砂 or 陽羨紫砂. I'd like to see what they look like on the bottoms.

From Billy Mood's Yixing site: In the early 1900s companies such "Tie Hua Xuan" and "Jin Ting Shang Biao" in Yixing and Shanghai engaged a number of renown potters, including Gu Jin Zhou & Wang Yan Chun, to make new teapots and copies of works of Ming and Qing masters. If the pot is a copy of past works, the potter would imprint his seal on the inner face of the cap as an indication that it is a copy. Chops of this era include seals that consist of patterns and no words, with English alphabets, mixture of Manchu and Chinese characters including those square seals with the chinese words "zhong guo yi xing" with or without flower patterns all round. Others with the Chinese words "yi xing zi sha" are also commonly found."

Above is the typical ROC seal, 'flower' pattern.

Zhong Guo Yi Xing seals are used with Factory-1 (Mao's PRC), at least that's how I've known. Correct me if I am wrong..

Dec 14th, '13, 01:27

by Tead Off » Dec 14th, '13, 01:27

Thanks for posting that. Do you have an example of the other ROC seal,陽羨紫砂?

Dec 14th, '13, 01:30

by Tead Off » Dec 14th, '13, 01:30

Here is one without the flower pattern.
Yixing Zisha seal.jpg
Yixing Zisha seal.jpg (6.07 KiB) Viewed 1825 times

Dec 14th, '13, 01:36

by Teaism » Dec 14th, '13, 01:36

chrl42 wrote:
wert wrote:@chrl42
Thanks so much for your insights. In my opinion, it is at best a 80s product, it doesn't feel "old". If it helps, I remembered it comes in those standard white cardbox.
I wonder what kind of cardbox that is.

White cardbox (with 'made in China' & pot pic in red print) is earlier than black or patterned cardboxes..some people who are doubtful (like Teasim :mrgreen:) about purchasing Yixings only buy pots packed in F1 cardboxes..white cardboxes are 7~80s export-Yixings from my understanding.

But then again, there are many 'white' cardboxes out there :)
Chrl42,
I miss this post last time and just saw it. My, apologies, let me side track from your current discussion with Teadoff and talk about the box.

White box is fine. Even Factory 1 have white box. The reason for white box as far as I know is they were made for Taiwan market. China and Taiwan was not on commercial terms that time and the middleman in Asia commissioned those pots and send to Taiwan via, HK or Singapore. Factory 1 pots is good especially the clay and even the workmanship. Factory 2 way of business is more "robust"....I think those old traders know what I mean by that term.... :wink:

Sep 16th, '15, 23:29

by LouPepe » Sep 16th, '15, 23:29

So what's the deal with those modern zhong guo pots? I'm getting one from Jing and the claim is the clay is factory 1. Anyone own any of JTS's pots?

Sep 23rd, '15, 01:22

by bagua7 » Sep 23rd, '15, 01:22

I do have some of JTS's pots. They brew tea as any other pots, lol. Artistically nicer to look at but the effect on the tea brew is, in essence, the same. Don't get caught up in the Yixing hoopla, some people pay astronomical prices for basically fancy mud, :lol:

If you want to save your pennies, the pots sold by this eBay vendor recently spotted by tingjunkie (thanks!) are good enough, I'd say better than average. Good pots, and real Yixing clay. I just purchased a second pot, this baby. Very pleased with it. :)

Sep 23rd, '15, 01:29

by kyarazen » Sep 23rd, '15, 01:29

LouPepe wrote:So what's the deal with those modern zhong guo pots? I'm getting one from Jing and the claim is the clay is factory 1. Anyone own any of JTS's pots?
No big deal 8) 8) it would be very great if everyone shifts their interests and attention to even more recent/modern pots so that there can be a chance again for me to procure and pick the older pots for a song.

If only :p

Sep 23rd, '15, 06:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Sep 23rd, '15, 06:51

kyarazen wrote: No big deal 8) 8) it would be very great if everyone shifts their interests and attention to even more recent/modern pots so that there can be a chance again for me to procure and pick the older pots for a song.

:lol: :lol:

If we only had a time machine .. :mrgreen:

Sep 23rd, '15, 10:33

by LouPepe » Sep 23rd, '15, 10:33

bagua7 wrote:I do have some of JTS's pots. They brew tea as any other pots, lol. Artistically nicer to look at but the effect on the tea brew is, in essence, the same. Don't get caught up in the Yixing hoopla, some people pay astronomical prices for basically fancy mud, :lol:

If you want to save your pennies, the pots sold by this eBay vendor recently spotted by tingjunkie (thanks!) are good enough, I'd say better than average. Good pots, and real Yixing clay. I just purchased a second pot, this baby. Very pleased with it. :)
Very nice looking pots indeed! Bummer I hadn't come across these earlier. I've about completed my humble yixing collection for drinking.
kyarazen wrote:
LouPepe wrote:So what's the deal with those modern zhong guo pots? I'm getting one from Jing and the claim is the clay is factory 1. Anyone own any of JTS's pots?
No big deal 8) 8) it would be very great if everyone shifts their interests and attention to even more recent/modern pots so that there can be a chance again for me to procure and pick the older pots for a song.

Funny I paid little attention to the age of the pot or clay when making my yixing purchasing decisions. As a relative newbie I tried to focus on getting authentic good clay instead. But now that I have a few experts attention :P , I would like to get some input on a few pots from my humble and completed(crossingmyfingers) collection.

Here I have the JTS Zhongguo pot I received, qinghuini clay 90 ml.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (36.91 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (36.91 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (31.19 KiB) Viewed 1510 times

Sep 23rd, '15, 10:36

by LouPepe » Sep 23rd, '15, 10:36

A few more..
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.89 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (29.79 KiB) Viewed 1510 times

Sep 23rd, '15, 10:51

by LouPepe » Sep 23rd, '15, 10:51

And here a similar colored Wen Ge Lv Ni also from JTS.

What's this reference to Lu Ni all about? The qinghuini also is referred to as lu ni on the JTS website. My observations from the two pots is that the wen ge is heavier clay and thicker walled. The qingshuini has a greener/gray hue in certain lighting and is very smooth on the exterior surface. It's definitely used before by someone, and brewed up some really nice 5 year old EoT Yancha :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (37.49 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (26.99 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (46.2 KiB) Viewed 1508 times

Sep 23rd, '15, 11:57

by bryan_drinks_tea » Sep 23rd, '15, 11:57

I own some, they are fine, some are better than others for whatever reason. Enjoy your new pot! :D

Sep 25th, '15, 23:56

by LouPepe » Sep 25th, '15, 23:56

bryan_drinks_tea wrote:
I own some, they are fine, some are better than others for whatever reason. Enjoy your new pot! :D
Thanks! So far so good :wink:

+ Post Reply