Feb 14th, '14, 08:58

More or less the same Xishi Zhu Ni but different prices?

by VanFersen » Feb 14th, '14, 08:58

I am sorry if I created a nearly similar thread but I thought this should stand on its own ;).

My wife planed to let my birthday shine quite yixingly :D, and so I was able to choose some pots and cups I would like to have. In fact I already had everything and the order was complete but then a problem accrued with one store and they refunded the money back to my account. In this case it was a nice xishi Zhu ni Teapot but now it gets strange.

I found this same type of teapot 4 times on the net but with completely different prizes.

The first one costs 165$ and has a lot of pictures on the site which explains where the clay comes from, who the artist is...so in fact a lot of info but quite expansive. it is this one here on the picture:

Another one which is exactly the same one, same pictures maybe the same artist that's why maybe they used the same pictures but it just costs 99$. This was in fact the one I was not able to buy. It is this one here

And then I found a third one on ebay. It has the nearly the same look and same kind of crafting but different pictures. So not the same ones like the other ones. But it just costs 46$ and it is this one here:

I mean is it even possible that it is the nearly same type of pot and nearly same quality? Because on the pictures all three of them look nicely made but I am not sure if I can trust the ebay one. I mean the guy has 100% rating but just 50 until now. I don't want to speak of the devil and he shows up but in fact those 50 positive ratings could also be fake ratings. Maybe other chinese friends or colleges of him who helped him to have a nice appearance on ebay. But maybe that's to naysayer.

I asked him and he guaranteed that this teapot is 100% zhu ni and handmade. But it is hard to believe. Because if the pictures are real they look to good to be true. I mean. This teapot looks flawless and this for just 46$??? Is this even possible?

Then I found another one. This one looks a bit the same but the colors are to bright and to artificial. And you can't see nearly no grains on the surface of the pot. So I am not sure but I think it is artificial or what do you say? Here is the picture:

The prize would be for this one 78$.

Now it is hard to decide. One is already out of the game because they refunded the money back and it seams they are not at service at the moment. I mean if I can save money and have nearly the same teapot by just spending 46$ instead of 165$ that would be great but on the other side I can't believe that it would be that easy. I can't be the same. Would you say is the 46$ one worth it or better leave it? The sellers has 100% but I much those this count in the end?

Thank guys and girls for reading and your time :) I really appreciate it ;)

Feb 14th, '14, 10:48

Re: More or less the same Xishi Zhu Ni but different prices?

by Joel Byron » Feb 14th, '14, 10:48

I know little to nothing about yixing pots, but I'll throw out a few questions.

Are these pots all the same volume?

Have you factored in shipping to your prices? A lot of the ebay sellers for this type of thing are based in China. That cheap teapot gets quite a bit more expensive when you add shipping from China.

By the way, check in the TeaSwap section of the forum. I think there are some pots available from several forum members.

Good luck :wink:

Feb 14th, '14, 12:23

by wyardley » Feb 14th, '14, 12:23

I think the colors on the last one look fine, but it's just a different type of material.

I would skip them all, but I actually like the last one the best of the bunch.

Feb 15th, '14, 02:46

by bagua7 » Feb 15th, '14, 02:46

Welcome to modern China + Yixing market.

The $45 one is OK, just a modern zhuni/hongni blend. I'd buy it at that price point.

Feb 15th, '14, 03:39

by VanFersen » Feb 15th, '14, 03:39

First of all thank you for your answers. Now there are two between I would choose. I really would like to know what you guys and girls would say:

The first one, ist the one I posted before. The one for 46$. The Xishi Zhu Ni

Or this one. A Di Cao Qing Ni Xishi for 70$:

What would say would make more sense?
And thank you in advance :)

Feb 15th, '14, 03:48

by chrl42 » Feb 15th, '14, 03:48

The first one looks Zhuni :)

Some modern Zhuni can be very nice as well, just the amount is few.. :(

Feb 15th, '14, 05:25

by bagua7 » Feb 15th, '14, 05:25

Zhuni: non-porous clay, it behaves almost like porcelain.

Di Cao Qing: porous clay.

I hope this will help you making a better decision.

Feb 15th, '14, 09:29
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Feb 15th, '14, 09:29

Why don't you just buy a teapot from a trusted seller, such as http://www.essenceoftea.com/teaware/clay/yixing-1.html or http://www.houdeasianart.com/index.php? ... x&cPath=15?

In this way you are sure that the teapot you will buy, will be made of real and good/high quality Yi Xing clay besides being totally handmade (if it is so described).

This is my advice.

Have a nice day my friend.

Feb 15th, '14, 15:17

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Feb 15th, '14, 15:17

wyardley wrote:I think the colors on the last one look fine, but it's just a different type of material.

I would skip them all, but I actually like the last one the best of the bunch.

+1
William wrote:Why don't you just buy a teapot from a trusted seller, such as http://www.essenceoftea.com/teaware/clay/yixing-1.html or http://www.houdeasianart.com/index.php? ... x&cPath=15?

In this way you are sure that the teapot you will buy, will be made of real and good/high quality Yi Xing clay besides being totally handmade (if it is so described).

This is my advice.

Have a nice day my friend.
+1

And I would add Life In Teacup (http://www.lifeinteacup.com) to that list, either her website or the E-bay page. On the website she gives very honest, detailed accounts of her teapots (http://www.lifeinteacup.com/teapots). On E-bay search "gingko_seto" for the seller's name. Also, there is Origin Tea too (though it looks like he doesn't have any current stock on hand).

Blessings!

Feb 15th, '14, 15:33

by wyardley » Feb 15th, '14, 15:33

Stéphane has these ones, which are pretty good for the price.
http://teamasters.blogspot.com/2011/02/ ... -back.html

I prefer the spout shape on that one, though it's a matter of personal preference.

The same maker's pots are also available on Taobao, but I don't think the price is much lower, and the smaller size one is hard to find there.

Feb 15th, '14, 20:40

by VanFersen » Feb 15th, '14, 20:40

wyardley wrote:Stéphane has these ones, which are pretty good for the price.
http://teamasters.blogspot.com/2011/02/ ... -back.html

I prefer the spout shape on that one, though it's a matter of personal preference.

The same maker's pots are also available on Taobao, but I don't think the price is much lower, and the smaller size one is hard to find there.
But this entry is nearly 3 years old. I am not sure if they are still available. But I wrote an email to him. So I will find out soon :)

Feb 16th, '14, 03:12

by bagua7 » Feb 16th, '14, 03:12

Tea Masters' xishi pots are not longer available as you can see in here. I also got his 2013 Winter price list and no sign of those pots.

Feb 16th, '14, 08:35

by wyardley » Feb 16th, '14, 08:35

150 ML one is available for around $130 on Taobao, in several different clays e.g.,
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... 8279894139

but of course you'd have to use a proxy and pay shipping fees.

Feb 16th, '14, 16:53

by tst » Feb 16th, '14, 16:53

VanFersen,

Sent you a PM.

Feb 18th, '14, 10:56

by VanFersen » Feb 18th, '14, 10:56

Thank you everyone. I asked a friend to check taobao for me because he can speak and read chinese fluently and got an taoboa account already. TST thank you but maybe it sounds stupid but I am not that comfortable at the moment to use a used teapot. I know normaly it is even better because it is already filled with flavor but...yeah ;) that's me

+ Post Reply