Mar 11th, '14, 22:16

Re: Small (or moderately) sized yixing pots?

by Teaism » Mar 11th, '14, 22:16

kyarazen wrote:
bagua7 wrote: The problem is the sizing, most are larger that what you are after. The Chinese rarely drink tea by themselves so it is hard for them to understand the Western mentality of drinking tea alone; it's part of their culture which we have imported in ours.
thats really interesting :lol: :mrgreen:
Yes I find this statement interesting too. I drink tea alone 90% of the time so I will join the Western category. :D

Actually, to me there is no Western, Eastern, Northen and Southern. Tea is just tea. I have a nice tea guest from US last weekend and although we are from different culture, it is tea that bond us together. Likewise for pots, look at it as a universal tea brewing vessel.

Just my personal opinion. I might be wrong. :D

Cheers and have a good tea day everyone. :D

Mar 11th, '14, 22:51

by chrl42 » Mar 11th, '14, 22:51

bagua7 wrote:
The problem is the sizing, most are larger that what you are after. The Chinese rarely drink tea by themselves so it is hard for them to understand the Western mentality of drinking tea alone; it's part of their culture which we have imported in ours.
I agree.

But the old Chaozhou quote says "one person gains its holiness, two persons gain its vibe, three persons gain its taste". I heard Chairman Mao loved drinking Longjing alone when pondering deeply.

For me too many people it becomes 'drinking', than 'sipping'. But you are right they normally share tea with other people as tea drinking is consumed as daily activity in China

peace.

Mar 11th, '14, 22:57

by chrl42 » Mar 11th, '14, 22:57

Teaism wrote:
kyarazen wrote:
bagua7 wrote: The problem is the sizing, most are larger that what you are after. The Chinese rarely drink tea by themselves so it is hard for them to understand the Western mentality of drinking tea alone; it's part of their culture which we have imported in ours.

Actually, to me there is no Western, Eastern, Northen and Southern. Tea is just tea. I have a nice tea guest from US last weekend and although we are from different culture, it is tea that bond us together. Likewise for pots, look at it as a universal tea brewing vessel.
That's a nice Singaporean quote :D

The sea of the Atlantic ocean and the Pacific ocean will eventually meet, we share the same air in the end, tea is omnipresent :)

Mar 11th, '14, 23:10

by Teaism » Mar 11th, '14, 23:10

chrl42 wrote:For me too many people it becomes 'drinking', than 'sipping'.
peace.
When drinking tea alone, I always "listen" rather than sipping the tea. The "aura" of a good tea has gentle whisper... :D

Cheers! :D

Mar 11th, '14, 23:18

by kyarazen » Mar 11th, '14, 23:18

chrl42 wrote: But the old Chaozhou quote says "one person gains its holiness, two persons gain its vibe, three persons gain its taste". I heard Chairman Mao loved drinking Longjing alone when pondering deeply.
peace.
Jit Nang Deh Ki Sin, Nor Nang Deh Ki Un, Sar Nang Deh Ki Bi..

so interestingly queer when translated to english.. now its holy :mrgreen:

Mar 11th, '14, 23:24

by chrl42 » Mar 11th, '14, 23:24

Teaism wrote:
chrl42 wrote:For me too many people it becomes 'drinking', than 'sipping'.
peace.
When drinking tea alone, I always "listen" rather than sipping the tea. The "aura" of a good tea has gentle whisper... :D

reminds me of a famous Korean Puerh authority who regards the highest level of tea drinking, as 'listening the sound of unfurling tea leaves' :D

I know of someone whose nickname 聽雪 (listening snow..does falling of snow has a sound? :? )...looks like I haven't got to that stage anyway. :)

cheers

Mar 11th, '14, 23:28

by chrl42 » Mar 11th, '14, 23:28

kyarazen wrote:
chrl42 wrote: But the old Chaozhou quote says "one person gains its holiness, two persons gain its vibe, three persons gain its taste". I heard Chairman Mao loved drinking Longjing alone when pondering deeply.
peace.
Jit Nang Deh Ki Sin, Nor Nang Deh Ki Un, Sar Nang Deh Ki Bi..

so interestingly queer when translated to english.. now its holy :mrgreen:
looks like Chaozhou dialect? :roll:

thanks for 'holy' translation :)

Mar 12th, '14, 00:06

by theredbaron » Mar 12th, '14, 00:06

Teaism wrote:
kyarazen wrote:
Yes I find this statement interesting too. I drink tea alone 90% of the time so I will join the Western category. :D

Just my personal opinion. I might be wrong. :D

Cheers and have a good tea day everyone. :D

My tea teacher said to me once, a long time ago, that both is important. Drinking in a group will keep you inspired, keeps you learning and is simply plain fun, while drinking alone is for the more serious meditative tea drinking.

I have too rarely the opportunity to drink tea in a group here. Unfortunately many former tea friends of mine here won't speak with me anymore - that's the problem of living in a society of enormous political and class hatred, and where tea appreciation is seen as a somewhat elitist occupation, and my known sympathies, or lack of hatred, for the common people's side made me a pariah in the circles that see themselves as better than the rest of the population.

But yes - western, eastern, and all those artificial boxes... i find that tea is one of the great bridges between cultures.

Mar 12th, '14, 00:38

by chrl42 » Mar 12th, '14, 00:38

theredbaron wrote:and where tea appreciation is seen as a somewhat elitist occupation, and my known sympathies, or lack of hatred, for the common people's side made me a pariah in the circles that see themselves as better than the rest of the population.
Brewing the juices of a mere plant called camelia sinensis (or assamca) becomes elitist occupation? And why not for rice and grains? :roll:

anyways...pity.. :P

Mar 12th, '14, 01:03

by theredbaron » Mar 12th, '14, 01:03

chrl42 wrote:
theredbaron wrote:and where tea appreciation is seen as a somewhat elitist occupation, and my known sympathies, or lack of hatred, for the common people's side made me a pariah in the circles that see themselves as better than the rest of the population.
Brewing the juices of a mere plant called camelia sinensis (or assamca) becomes elitist occupation? And why not for rice and grains? :roll:

anyways...pity.. :P

It's quite insane - even wearing the wrong T-shirt color in the wrong place and time could get one tortured and/or killed here, presently. And get me started on rice - that's also really political here now as well. Not eating it - everybody does it - but who and how the growers are paid for it.

It has always been difficult for me to explain the difference in attitude towards tea here in Thailand to my friends from outside. Life is still quite feudal here in many aspects. I guess that is why modern tea culture has never hit it off here as it has in most other parts of the region with large Chinese minorities (or majorities), or in China itself.

Mar 12th, '14, 19:33

by tingjunkie » Mar 12th, '14, 19:33

theredbaron wrote:http://www.origintea.net/teaware/teapots

This shop has some nice pots available on a regular base which won't break your budget.
+1

Mar 12th, '14, 21:43

by bagua7 » Mar 12th, '14, 21:43

chrl42 wrote:I heard Chairman Mao loved drinking Longjing alone when pondering deeply.
Yes, nice way of putting the spiritual/metaphysical aspect of drinking tea in perspective akin to the link between Chinese culture and Taoism:

But this doesn't explain why many potters favour making 200mL+ pots which are totally impractical for modern/Westernised/Western tea drinkers (bearing in mind that tea, especially puerh, is steadily increasing its price year after year).

Mar 12th, '14, 21:46

by Teaism » Mar 12th, '14, 21:46

No worries, when the price collapsed, we can brew in bigger pots. :lol:
Coming soon...

Mar 12th, '14, 22:30

by chrl42 » Mar 12th, '14, 22:30

bagua7 wrote:
chrl42 wrote:I heard Chairman Mao loved drinking Longjing alone when pondering deeply.
Yes, nice way of putting the spiritual/metaphysical aspect of drinking tea in perspective akin to the link between Chinese culture and Taoism:

But this doesn't explain why many potters favour making 200mL+ pots which are totally impractical for modern/Westernised/Western tea drinkers (bearing in mind that tea, especially puerh, is steadily increasing its price year after year).
It seems easy subject, but rather complicated. Since we don't have a time-machine. Qing dynasty (or was it Ming) script wrote about old-time drinking fashion of using Yixing, it wrote 1 person gets 1 Yixing, more people come, more Yixings. It was about the earliest script mentioning the using of Yixing teapot. During that time, most of Yixings were huge.

In Taiwan and southern China, small pots are popular (let's say under 200ml) and in northern China, bigger pots are popular. It's been said small pots are more practical while bigger pots can impress visitors.

Likewise, the size of yixing doesn't explain the number of people drinking. In Taiwan and southern China, they used the number of cup to indicate the size of yixing, which is ascribed to the number of people drinking.

3-cup (san-bei) is about 6~70ml and 4-cup is about 8~90ml, 6-cup is about 1~120ml. 3-cup~6-cup size were most common during the heyday of Gongfucha,

I've noticed recent days they often use those old Gongfu teapots for the purpose of 1-person drinking, mostly for old Puerhs. And some even use larger pots, take it to brew longer time, for 1-person only.

You can use larger Yixing (than 1-person amount) for yourself, or you can use small Yixings for many people. That's the variables...that's all I can say :P

]

Mar 12th, '14, 22:33

by Teaism » Mar 12th, '14, 22:33

+10. Well said chrl42! :D

+ Post Reply