May 3rd, '14, 13:05

Re: Help With Identifying Old Chinese Teapot

by Tead Off » May 3rd, '14, 13:05

kyarazen wrote: or like someone whom had posted the ebay link of a similar pot.. that is pretty interesting/curious because of a pre CR theme yet the pot has a bottom stamp of a maker from late qing/early ROC.. so what would that mean? :) a real wu yun shan ROC pot will be in the range of five to six digits maybe.
Wu Yunshan was mainly an ROC potter, 1892-1969. It is very conceivable that this pot was made during ROC, IMO. It could be a later pot with a bogus seal, but this was the 2nd pot offered by the seller with this mark and the rest of his estate sale on ebay contains many items that were bid on by dozens of people. The first Wu Yunshan pot sold for about $1200.

May 3rd, '14, 14:18

by kyarazen » May 3rd, '14, 14:18

Tead Off wrote:
kyarazen wrote: or like someone whom had posted the ebay link of a similar pot.. that is pretty interesting/curious because of a pre CR theme yet the pot has a bottom stamp of a maker from late qing/early ROC.. so what would that mean? :) a real wu yun shan ROC pot will be in the range of five to six digits maybe.
Wu Yunshan was mainly an ROC potter, 1892-1969. It is very conceivable that this pot was made during ROC, IMO. It could be a later pot with a bogus seal, but this was the 2nd pot offered by the seller with this mark and the rest of his estate sale on ebay contains many items that were bid on by dozens of people. The first Wu Yunshan pot sold for about $1200.
its up to the buyer to decide, there's only just so much information available :wink:

if you've time to go up to suphanburi, you might want to take a look at wat sampasieo, probably 700-800 year old temple. i wonder if a few centuries later when people re-discover the temple (that is if it falls back into ruins), to find doraemon on the temple walls, perhaps they might think of doraemon to be a disciple of the buddha many thousand years ago. when the themes on an object doesnt seem to align, or if it is 95% authentic, just 1 particular aspect that is incorrect/inappropriate, then one has to decide on the threshold of whether to reject, or to accept.

May 3rd, '14, 22:26

by Tead Off » May 3rd, '14, 22:26

kyarazen wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
its up to the buyer to decide, there's only just so much information available :wink:
+1

if you've time to go up to suphanburi, you might want to take a look at wat sampasieo, probably 700-800 year old temple. i wonder if a few centuries later when people re-discover the temple (that is if it falls back into ruins), to find doraemon on the temple walls, perhaps they might think of doraemon to be a disciple of the buddha many thousand years ago. when the themes on an object doesnt seem to align, or if it is 95% authentic, just 1 particular aspect that is incorrect/inappropriate, then one has to decide on the threshold of whether to reject, or to accept.

May 3rd, '14, 23:46

by bagua7 » May 3rd, '14, 23:46

aka_fallen121 wrote:I am so sorry that I can't get these images to display properly. They are too large for the site I think, but they won't even work when I host them on Photobucket.
Do you have a digital image editor? If no you can use any of these:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... editor.htm

The process basically would be:

Image>resize (600pixels is a good size for web images)

*If you use Photoshop, place a check mark on the option bicubic sharper (best for reduction) (this will provide the best resolution for your images).

Then save image as>save for web and devices.

This way you have a digitally reduced image you can upload easily online and send as an image attachment to your e-mails without slowing/bogging down your e-mail service or manager.

Cheers.

May 4th, '14, 01:08

by wert » May 4th, '14, 01:08

kyarazen wrote:since i did read some of mao's writings, the baochun style is one of my favourites due to the philosophy behind them i thought i'll spend some time to chime in on the subject.
*snip*
Appreciated! 报春 is a rather extensive subject and thank you for giving me a chance to learn more. 8) 8)

May 7th, '14, 02:36

by kyarazen » May 7th, '14, 02:36

wert wrote:
kyarazen wrote:since i did read some of mao's writings, the baochun style is one of my favourites due to the philosophy behind them i thought i'll spend some time to chime in on the subject.
*snip*
Appreciated! 报春 is a rather extensive subject and thank you for giving me a chance to learn more. 8) 8)
you should share too :shock: mr K should have mentioned quite a bit on the subject since he has quite some baochun on display

May 29th, '14, 18:41

by aka_fallen121 » May 29th, '14, 18:41

Thank you to everyone who has taken the trouble to post here, I do appreciate it. I concur with the view that these are not early pots. My Father was not a wealthy man, he bought things at auction which he admired and thought would appreciate in value but not necessarily expensive.

Your comments have led me to explore the possibility that it might be worth placing these for sale as I know so little compared to you guys that I feel it would be criminal for these pots not to be in the hands of someone who will appreciate them. But I feel that eBay is not the best place. I really feel that my photos will not do justice and they really need to be seen and handled by a potential purchaser prior to sale.

At the end of the day, as has been stated, these are not "rare" and the value really does depend on the appraiser. So I will now seek advice on the most knowledgable in my area (Edinburgh, Scotland).

I did very much enjoy the debate and so whilst I cannot promise to be an everyday visitor, I think I will stick around on these forums. It is a real pleasure to read your posts. I have learnt a lot, and the intellectual debate is such a contrast to many forums, I find it most stimulating.

I am going to explore the situation as regards creation of picture thumbnails as I have access to Photoshop, just haven't exploited its features to the fullest extent.

Thanks guys, I really have learnt a lot!

+ Post Reply