Jun 11th, '14, 14:24

Good non-yixing pots

by MEversbergII » Jun 11th, '14, 14:24

Greetings!

Where is your go-to place for non-yixing, non-Japanese style pots? I'm looking for something around 250ml and well suited for general purpose use - greens through to pu'er. I've found a few options but I'm betting at least one user here has an insight.

Thanks!

M.

Jun 11th, '14, 14:28

Re: Good non-yixing pots

by entropyembrace » Jun 11th, '14, 14:28

Check teaware artisans :)

I really enjoy using my Petr Novak pot :)

Jun 11th, '14, 14:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 11th, '14, 14:50

I like the Petr pots as well ... however they are not particularly suited for fukamushi (I saw you are looking at Japanese greens in another post) ... it is possible but can be a bit trying at times.

Jun 11th, '14, 14:52

by Poseidon » Jun 11th, '14, 14:52

A good porcelain pot is hard to beat IMO.

Jun 11th, '14, 15:39

by MEversbergII » Jun 11th, '14, 15:39

Well, I have my side handle kyusu for Japanese stuff - looking for something a little less distinctive for non-Japanese stuff.

M.

Jun 11th, '14, 18:31
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jun 11th, '14, 18:31

I have a pot for you, MEv., that fits your description. I bought it in Thailand a few months ago from a family from whom I started buying 2 or 3 years ago. I've used a few celadon pots made by them & celadon & non-celadon cups & bowls. Like their stuff. Medium/thick walled, glazed well, functional, pretty....
If you are interested, I'll get the teapot photographed. (Hopefully w/ some of the celadon I have amassed & should sell.) I think it cost me < $20 & would sell it for what it cost. (Written in one of my notebooks.)
I have one extra celadon teapot, but it holds about 500 ml.

Jun 11th, '14, 20:05
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 11th, '14, 20:05

I use $4-5 Chinese porcelain pots/gaiwans with spouts and handles. I actually use my 150ml gaiwan with spout and handle more than any of my other teaware, and I have both small and large cups to match. I think I'll pick up another set for our home in Mumbai (headed that way next week).

https://www.peonyts.com/what-is-a-shouzhuawan/

Jun 11th, '14, 22:20
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jun 11th, '14, 22:20

I also use gaiwans but for around 90 ml. Jay, your hands are big enough to handle a 150-ml gaiwan easily, but I think I couldn't. You live in a good city for getting gaiwans cheap, but think about the hands that will handle the gaiwans that you buy.
I'd guess that most people would find handling a 250-ml gaiwan quite awkward. So, MEv. can do well w/ a pot for preparing substantial amounts of tea. & sure, porcelain is very often the best; yet, there are times one benefits from heavier, thicker teaware. Sometimes the main benefit is that it is pretty. That's okay if there is space on the shelf.

Jun 11th, '14, 23:43
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 11th, '14, 23:43

Ethan,

My most used gaiwan has a teapot-style handle, so no major worries there as far as hand-sizing. :) Yes, HK is a good place to be as far as buying cheap Chinese teaware...I only need to walk a couple of blocks to get pretty much whatever I need!

Jun 12th, '14, 01:04

by kyarazen » Jun 12th, '14, 01:04

if i were to get another non-yixing, non-japanese, non purion pot, i would go for a very nice celadon. 嫩嫩的汝(乳)瓷..mmmz...

Jun 12th, '14, 01:12

by yalokinh » Jun 12th, '14, 01:12

entropyembrace wrote:Check teaware artisans :)

I really enjoy using my Petr Novak pot :)
+4 (I have four of them :lol: )

Jun 12th, '14, 01:23

by debunix » Jun 12th, '14, 01:23

If I were in the market for another fully-glazed vessel for all-purpose use, I'd have fun browsing offerings from Tead Off's Korean artisans, my Etsy favorite shop list (many of whom are in the TC Teaware Artisans forum here), other TC TAs who are not on Etsy, and see what came of that. I might even ask one of the TA to make something special just for me. As it happens, most of my Petr Novak pots and shibos are unglazed inside, so limited to particular teas, but that also means I have an excuse for a little larger collection overall (the sencha pot, the green/white shibo, the yancha pot, the puerh pot, the office puerh shibo, etc, etc).

Jun 12th, '14, 10:18

by MEversbergII » Jun 12th, '14, 10:18

I've been considering Petr for a at home pot a while now. I think I'll see if I can get a glazed one from him sometime soon (so as to not limit it to a particular tea). What about some mass market ones? I don't think I'd want a good artisan pot for here at the office (in case it gets knocked over).

M.

Jun 12th, '14, 10:56

by Poseidon » Jun 12th, '14, 10:56

jayinhk wrote:I use $4-5 Chinese porcelain pots/gaiwans with spouts and handles. I actually use my 150ml gaiwan with spout and handle more than any of my other teaware, and I have both small and large cups to match. I think I'll pick up another set for our home in Mumbai (headed that way next week).

https://www.peonyts.com/what-is-a-shouzhuawan/
Those are my favorite way to brew a new tea! All of the "extra" flavor a gaiwan gives with the ease of a filter pot.

Where do you get them for so cheap?!

Jun 12th, '14, 12:05

by yalokinh » Jun 12th, '14, 12:05

MEversbergII wrote:I've been considering Petr for a at home pot a while now. I think I'll see if I can get a glazed one from him sometime soon (so as to not limit it to a particular tea). What about some mass market ones? I don't think I'd want a good artisan pot for here at the office (in case it gets knocked over).

M.
ah I see.
A small glazed pot should do great, they are not hard to find I think.
I would suggest a gaiwan since its probably the easiest option to find, but some people find it uncharacteristic with puer and other types of teas.
chinese greens work really well, I don't think japanese greens would work. some oolong as long as the leaves don't expand too much (or your vessel isnt too small),
you can make puer in a gaiwan, though some people prefer not to.

+ Post Reply