Jul 28th, '14, 03:48

Re: Is there one teapot suitable for most chinese tea?

by BW85 » Jul 28th, '14, 03:48

I would imagine they both have a multi hole filter built in. They both would be functional and look well made for a decent price. You should choose whichever one you are more drawn to aesthetically :) which one looks more pleasing to your eye

Jul 28th, '14, 08:42
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Jul 28th, '14, 08:42

gunbuster363 wrote:From these 2 teapot which one do you think best? I've order some dancong and wuyi oolong ( waiting for shipment ) and various green/white tea from other vendor.

The website said the turret teapot pour fast, however, what kind of filter does it has? If there are no filter, the tea leaves might come out along the tea if it has a wide opening. :roll:

https://www.taiwanteacrafts.com/product ... er-teapot/

https://www.taiwanteacrafts.com/product/modern-teapot/
Just send an email via the contact page (https://www.taiwanteacrafts.com/contact ... PXRKy.dpbs) and ask.

Jul 28th, '14, 13:56

by wyardley » Jul 28th, '14, 13:56

gunbuster363 wrote:Actually I quite like the clever push-button pour to separate the tea from the leaves. Also the comfortable handle.
I don't really see it as that clever - it doesn't accomplish anything that a teapot or gaiwan doesn't really.

If you like that look but want all glass, just use a french press, but put the leaves above (rather than below) the screen. Then you can pull the leaves above the water level.

Jul 28th, '14, 21:53

by debunix » Jul 28th, '14, 21:53

gunbuster363 wrote:
debunix wrote:Many of our own Teaware Artisans here make lovely small pots with glazed interiors that are suitable for a wide range of teas.
But they are not selling the teapot, do they? Also they most likely do not have stock available anytime and cannot compare to stores. Also artisan work is usually priced highly because of their wonderful craftsmanship. :|

Sometimes I might just want a teapot that works and doesn't hurt my wallet.
Actually, most of them are selling their wares, through online forums such as Etsy, or through dealers with an online presence. It's true that their work cannot compete on price vs a simple and entirely functional little pot like this one, under $10 at my local teashop:

but that can't compare on looks or ease of use with this utterly versatile beauty by Yi Yong Cheol either....

Starting with something like the glass pot while waiting for the right artisan pot to strike your fancy (and match your wallet) seems like a quite reasonable compromise.

Jul 28th, '14, 22:58

by yalokinh » Jul 28th, '14, 22:58

I find gaiwans to be most suitable due to its versatility as a vessel, though any pot will do

Jul 29th, '14, 00:23

by iGo » Jul 29th, '14, 00:23

The Qingbai 12cl or 17 cl porcelain teapots at teamasters.blogspot.com might work for you:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-d3R4urP-GD4/T ... _0646s.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RjHPbIOPmac/S ... _0653s.jpg

Jul 29th, '14, 10:13

by theredbaron » Jul 29th, '14, 10:13

gunbuster363 wrote:From these 2 teapot which one do you think best? I've order some dancong and wuyi oolong ( waiting for shipment ) and various green/white tea from other vendor.

The website said the turret teapot pour fast, however, what kind of filter does it has? If there are no filter, the tea leaves might come out along the tea if it has a wide opening. :roll:

I have followed this thread for a while now, and i have to say that i am somewhat bewildered. You live in Hongkong, one of the best tea places in the world, and yet you order tea on the web, and ask opinions on cheap and mediocre tea pots that will deliver a brew equal to any mass market pot you can get in any department store.
I would suggest to contact some of the forum members who live in Hongkong as well, and maybe they could direct you to a tea store in Hongkong which is less unfriendly. It has been almost 20 years since i was last in Hongkong, and am well aware that Hongkong is not exactly famous for politeness. But nevertheless, i have walked into quite a few tea stores which were very friendly and helpful.
I comment basically as i feel that you have a great opportunity here to properly learn how to enjoy Chinese tea, in place with many tea masters, experts and students, but miss out on all this.

Jul 29th, '14, 14:58
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jul 29th, '14, 14:58

Good to see you posting again, Red Baron.

I posted a comment expressing much of the same reaction & given an answer.

Life is funny. Sometimes one posts a question that one that one cannot easily find an answer to; yet, he gets no help. Sometimes one posts a ? w/ an obvious answer or one that is easily found; yet, people really go to work on it.

Jul 29th, '14, 21:34

by gunbuster363 » Jul 29th, '14, 21:34

theredbaron wrote:

I have followed this thread for a while now, and i have to say that i am somewhat bewildered. You live in Hongkong, one of the best tea places in the world, and yet you order tea on the web, and ask opinions on cheap and mediocre tea pots that will deliver a brew equal to any mass market pot you can get in any department store.
I would suggest to contact some of the forum members who live in Hongkong as well, and maybe they could direct you to a tea store in Hongkong which is less unfriendly. It has been almost 20 years since i was last in Hongkong, and am well aware that Hongkong is not exactly famous for politeness. But nevertheless, i have walked into quite a few tea stores which were very friendly and helpful.
I comment basically as i feel that you have a great opportunity here to properly learn how to enjoy Chinese tea, in place with many tea masters, experts and students, but miss out on all this.

Hi, thanks for the long reply and I have something to say about this.

Why do you think Hong Kong is one of the best place for tea? I assume when you said tea you mean Chinese tea. It is assumed that because of the close proximity of China and Hong Kong, many great tea would be distributed in Hong Kong, I agree.

There is a culture of drinking tea in Hong Kong, however, most of the people living in Hong Kong are easily satisfied with cheap puerh/TGY. The good stuff are only in the circle of the tea masters. And the tea masters in Hong Kong do not go out to the world and promote their tea, say, create an online store. Did you ever stumble upon an Hong Kong online tea shop? No.

Real tea in Hong Kong is expensive because the tea master value the tea a lot and also because of the expensive rent of the store. I think the price doesn't really reflect the value of the tea so I set out to the world.

I would not buy Yixing in Hong Kong. Many fake Yixing came from China. Real Yixing is really expensive. Also you don't know how to identify real Yixing. You should not trust the merchant because it is their nature to trick you. I don't trust Chinese at all.

The reason that I would like to use that teapot because they less likely to contain toxin except the PC part. I would ultimately replace the teapot with other neutral material such as porcelain but I am not going to buy it from Chinese merchant.

It's already a sad situation because Chinese come from China. Anyway, I still have a choice over the teapot.

I would take a day off and check out the local store and report to you anyway because many of you think they are great. But I have to stress this, the price also factors in the rent. :?

Really, I lived my life in Hong Kong and I KNOW about them.

Jul 29th, '14, 21:38

by kyarazen » Jul 29th, '14, 21:38

gunbuster363 wrote:
I would not buy Yixing in Hong Kong. Many fake Yixing came from China. Real Yixing is really expensive. Also you don't know how to identify real Yixing. You should not trust the merchant because it is their nature to trick you. I don't trust Chinese at all.
then... i suppose you dont drink a single drop of chinese tea made from leaves of plants grown in china?

Jul 29th, '14, 21:50

by gunbuster363 » Jul 29th, '14, 21:50

kyarazen wrote:
gunbuster363 wrote:
then... i suppose you dont drink a single drop of chinese tea made from leaves of plants grown in china?
I have to pick the tea carefully. I don't want to drink tea from unknown source. It would be best for the tea to pass the EU standard or other standard of pesticide level in the world.

Mostly I drink Japanese tea but I also would like to explore tea from the world.

Jul 29th, '14, 22:08

by gunbuster363 » Jul 29th, '14, 22:08

If there are anyone who wants to discuss/flame this topic about Chinese, please open a new thread in other section. I have plenty of evidence.

Here in Hong Kong we are at the front line against the Chinese problem. Toxic food, expired food, toxic water, etc.

You know the Guang Dong Province sell us dirty water ( literally it is dirty water from their polluted river ) and we use our own plant to filter/clean/sterilize the water?

Jul 29th, '14, 22:14

by wert » Jul 29th, '14, 22:14

gunbuster363 wrote:
kyarazen wrote:
gunbuster363 wrote:
I have to pick the tea carefully. I don't want to drink tea from unknown source. It would be best for the tea to pass the EU standard or other standard of pesticide level in the world.

Mostly I drink Japanese tea but I also would like to explore tea from the world.
I understand your concerns. In that case it would be better for you to skip all china chinese tea. You can consider taiwanese tea instead, which incidentally might or might not be from taiwan (thailand, vietnam), but at least they are not from china, which you think is not safe.

Jul 29th, '14, 23:52

by bonescwa » Jul 29th, '14, 23:52

Wow... China just got told
"Front line against the Chinese problem" XD

Jul 30th, '14, 00:10
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Jul 30th, '14, 00:10

Why don't you buy a Japanese porcelain kyusu?

+ Post Reply