Jul 26th, '14, 15:04

Re: Cheap (?) Yixing teapot for a novice

by kyarazen » Jul 26th, '14, 15:04

William wrote:
Well made, good clay. I loved to use it with Yan Cha.
Why do you ask?
i've looked at the pots on teadezhang's site, reasonably priced, looks well made, decently good looking clay, and some of them are nice shape replicates of early pots.

it give me some hope that there's still "inexpensive" yixing around for tea drinkers to play with :D

Jul 26th, '14, 15:56
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Jul 26th, '14, 15:56

kyarazen wrote:
William wrote: it give me some hope that there's still "inexpensive" yixing around for tea drinkers to play with :D
We hope for the future! :mrgreen:

Jul 26th, '14, 16:20

by anabol » Jul 26th, '14, 16:20

Where can i find this teadezhang store?

I only found this - http://teadezhang.blogspot.com/

between this two pots - which would you recommend?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Chine ... 1588524286
https://www.etsy.com/il-en/listing/1786 ... =listing-5

Jul 26th, '14, 16:30

by BW85 » Jul 26th, '14, 16:30

Between those two, definitely the second one. The eBay one looks...not very good

Jul 26th, '14, 16:44

by anabol » Jul 26th, '14, 16:44

BW85 wrote:Between those two, definitely the second one. The eBay one looks...not very good
Do you mean in terms of appearance? What makes you think its not as good (i'm curious)?

Jul 26th, '14, 17:49

by tingjunkie » Jul 26th, '14, 17:49

Let's go back to the beginning anabol. Asking us to compare junk pots is like spending hours deciding whether to eat at Burger King or McDonald's. :lol:

You said you want to explore the Yixing "clay experience" as you put it, but truthfully that could mean a whole ton of things. The chances of finding a $30-$50 pot these days which is a keeper that you'll want to cherish and continue to use, season, and take care of for years to come is sadly very small indeed. That being said, finding a pot made from real clay in your price range that will introduce you to the world of Yixing, and get the ball rolling on your experience and education is quite doable. Rather than have the forum respond to a myriad of links to ebay and such, it's probably better off to give you some basic guidelines:

1) For your first pot, stick with the two basic colors of clay- red or purple. Stay away from black, blue, green as these in your price range will almost certainly contain additives to achieve their color. You can look at yellow (duan ni) pots if you wish, but personally I don't think most of them do great things for a tea's flavor and aroma.

2) Stick with a basic, plain shape. Avoid engraving and painting on the side, and definitely avoid pots in the shape of animals or other stuff.

3) Ignore all claims made by the seller. In fact, don't even read the description in the ad, aside from finding out what size the pot is. Just look at the shape and the clay and decide if you like it, and if it looks like pure clay without "makeup clay" painted on the outside surface. If the site doesn't have sharp photos that show the clay's detail, avoid it.

4) Look for clay that has slightly sandy texture, and is not too shiny, and not too dull. (Takes practice, I know).

5) When in doubt, go buy the pot I recommended, cause I've been at this for 5-6 years now. :lol: If nothing else, you'll get your feet wet, begin to learn, and you won't be throwing your money away on a piece of crap.

Jul 26th, '14, 18:01

by BW85 » Jul 26th, '14, 18:01

anabol wrote:
BW85 wrote:Between those two, definitely the second one. The eBay one looks...not very good
Do you mean in terms of appearance? What makes you think its not as good (i'm curious)?
The eBay pot just looks to be poor clay quality to me. The other one seems to have more potential and would be a safer bet. Granted, only so much can be said from photos alone.

Jul 26th, '14, 18:05

by puyuan » Jul 26th, '14, 18:05

If matters were straight-forward and simple, the answers would be too. If they aren't, they aren't. I would recommend, like everyone else, to take your time, start with a gaiwan, and if you do buy a pot, not expect too much out of it in the long run. Our demands increase and change with time, and the teapots will have to accomodate those. And I'm not even referring to genuinity or the "quality" of the clay. Do notice, for instance, that you've been linking some very large pots (250ml plus). If you start brewing gongfu like most people here, these would likely become of very little use if brewing for one or two people.

Jul 26th, '14, 19:41

by entropyembrace » Jul 26th, '14, 19:41

tingjunkie wrote:
5) When in doubt, go buy the pot I recommended, cause I've been at this for 5-6 years now. :lol: If nothing else, you'll get your feet wet, begin to learn, and you won't be throwing your money away on a piece of crap.
Good advice, tingjunkie recommended the $10 pot that I'm very happy with :lol:

Jul 26th, '14, 22:36

by tingjunkie » Jul 26th, '14, 22:36

entropyembrace wrote: Good advice, tingjunkie recommended the $10 pot that I'm very happy with :lol:
I noticed the seller of that $10 pot must have turned up one more for sale about a month ago. It sold for $70. Better appreciation than master-level works. :lol: Wish I had bought ten when I had the chance.

Jul 28th, '14, 07:36

by wert » Jul 28th, '14, 07:36

vivianrichardson wrote: i did a search, the price varied a lot from $5 to $10000 or above. of course, the more money you pay, the better quality you get.
Not necessarily true, but in the general sense yes, but only if you know the product is actually what you thought you are getting.

Jul 28th, '14, 09:45
Vendor Member

Cheap (?) Yixing teapot for a novice

by blairswhitaker » Jul 28th, '14, 09:45

I have a small yixing collection, some of my first pots are still my favorites but I bought them from reputable sources in person.

I am going to strongly disagree with everyone recommending you buy a Gaiwan first. You aren't going to learn anything about yixing buying a Gaiwan. All you will learn is about a very modern innovation in Chinese tea brewing, as brewing with a small Gaiwan is a relatively new technique pit into practice within the last twenty years, and please don't take my word for, anyone knowledgeable on this subject can tell you more.

Raw clay responds and brews very differently than porcelain. The only way to get any understanding of it is through experience. Theoretical speculation and talk are just that, and as the old saying goes an ounce of practice is worth a ton of theory.

I have seen a number of people give you the links to some "starter" pots in your budget. I would pic one and start with it. Tingjunkie especially gave some good advice.

Aug 2nd, '14, 06:02

by anabol » Aug 2nd, '14, 06:02

Thank guys.

I've bought this-
https://www.etsy.com/il-en/listing/1786 ... =listing-5

Gonna start a new thread soon with regard to some good puerh samples recommendations.

Aug 2nd, '14, 10:11

by tingjunkie » Aug 2nd, '14, 10:11

Looks like a good first pot to me. Enjoy!

Aug 2nd, '14, 11:23

by thirst » Aug 2nd, '14, 11:23

I think the point about buying a gaiwan first was that while it may not teach you about yixing (I’d disagree, because a gaiwan can serve as a point of comparison), it will still teach you about tea, and IMO it’s probably better to buy a cheap gaiwan and good tea than to invest in an expensive pot and have little money left for good tea, depending, of course, on how much one already knows about tea (beginner here).

Using a small gaiwan as a pot may be a modern thing (though I don’t think that brewing and drinking directly from a larger gaiwan is), but if it’s a useful tool or method, does it matter how old it is? :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply