Oct 20th, '14, 23:51

To Zhu Ni or not to Zhu Ni?

by heliospace » Oct 20th, '14, 23:51

It's not a trick question. Just sourcing potential information related to this little fellow. I own one confirmed zhuni teapot in my collection. So I have little to go by at this point (and would like to understand zhuni better!). BUT... this sounds like zhuni, acts like zhuni, and the inside of the teapot looks exactly the same as my other zhuni teapot. Comments and assistance requested. Thanks!

Oct 21st, '14, 00:27

Re: To Zhu Ni or not to Zhu Ni?

by tingjunkie » Oct 21st, '14, 00:27

There's zhu ni, and then there's zhu ni. Many different levels of quality involved, vintage vs. modern, and lots of fake stuff too.

Judging by the super-visable joint lines running behind the handle and the spout, the craftsmanship of your pot is pretty... well... bad. Sorry, but there it is. Anytime a pot has very common craftsmanship, I automatically assume the clay is pretty low quality as well (unless we're talking about the very mass produced end of older Factory stuff which may be made from great clay despite the rushed laissez-faire craftsmanship).

Whatever this clay is, it has a lot of sand or other clay mixed in, due to the bumpy texture. I've seen the faking of zhu ni shrinkage lines ("muscle lines") done by texturing the outer surface using tissue paper, but I don't think that's what's going on here. My guess would be just very high fired common red clay with sand mixed in that showing a slight bit of shrinkage due to the firing. I'll let the better educated folks tell you differently if I'm wrong though, which is always a possibility! The changing texture seen on the bottom of the pot has me scratching my head to be honest.

Long story short, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to ID this pot. Just decide if it makes good tea, and if you like it enough to keep it and raise it!

Oct 21st, '14, 00:58

by heliospace » Oct 21st, '14, 00:58

I think i read somewhere that a broken zhuni teapot would reveal black beneath the surface... true or false? Thanks for your advice ting. The bottom is intriguing because it is the most zhuni like. I dont know enough to warrant my own opinion but im open to all ideas and comments. It did take a bleach soak after these photos were taken to ready it for my own use.

Oct 21st, '14, 11:49

by steanze » Oct 21st, '14, 11:49

I also think it's some kind of hong ni, but I am not an expert so I'd like to hear what others think about it. It's hard to judge from pictures, also because the first one was taken in low light conditions and the colors seem off, the others seem taken under direct sunlight so there is a lot of reflection. It would be ideal to have a picture with daylight but indoors, or on a cloudy day...

Oct 21st, '14, 17:44

by heliospace » Oct 21st, '14, 17:44

steanze wrote:I also think it's some kind of hong ni, but I am not an expert so I'd like to hear what others think about it. It's hard to judge from pictures, also because the first one was taken in low light conditions and the colors seem off, the others seem taken under direct sunlight so there is a lot of reflection. It would be ideal to have a picture with daylight but indoors, or on a cloudy day...
I'll do that sooner than later. But for the record, the seal reads "Fu Ji" (福记) and is the name of a "zisha" shop. Thought I'd relay that. Making progress... Cheers!

http://www.t4u.com.tw/chat2/viewthread. ... tid=118580

Scroll down to #17. A match on the "exact" seal. Still not sure on the clay. But question, would they use the same seal on different clay?

Oct 22nd, '14, 00:55

by bagua7 » Oct 22nd, '14, 00:55

Late Qing Huanlong Mt zhuni teapot

Zhao Zhuang early ROC zhuni teapot

Taiwan export Cultural Revolution Factory 1 zhuni teapot

New zhuni 1990s teapot

Source

Oct 22nd, '14, 03:11
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Oct 22nd, '14, 03:11

From what I know F1 never made Zhuni teapots, at least not officially.
Correct me if I am wrong! :)

Regards.

Oct 22nd, '14, 03:45

by chrl42 » Oct 22nd, '14, 03:45

William wrote:From what I know F1 never made Zhuni teapots, at least not officially.

Regards.
More likely, during the CR, the main export destinations were SE asia and Japan, commercial trade with Taiwan only occurred after mid-80s..before that, pots going into Taiwan were via HK...commercial collaboration with HK and Yixing happened since late-70s...correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Oct 22nd, '14, 08:33

by steanze » Oct 22nd, '14, 08:33

heliospace wrote:
steanze wrote:I also think it's some kind of hong ni, but I am not an expert so I'd like to hear what others think about it. It's hard to judge from pictures, also because the first one was taken in low light conditions and the colors seem off, the others seem taken under direct sunlight so there is a lot of reflection. It would be ideal to have a picture with daylight but indoors, or on a cloudy day...
I'll do that sooner than later. But for the record, the seal reads "Fu Ji" (福记) and is the name of a "zisha" shop. Thought I'd relay that. Making progress... Cheers!

http://www.t4u.com.tw/chat2/viewthread. ... tid=118580

Scroll down to #17. A match on the "exact" seal. Still not sure on the clay. But question, would they use the same seal on different clay?
Yes, 福記 is a well known studio, I remember it being mentioned in an earlier post. The question is whether there are fakes around, and how to distinguish them from the real pots.

With respect to your question, it is quite common to use the same seal on different clay - usually the seal indicates the craftsman or the studio. If the craftsman or studio produces teapots with more than one type of clay, the seal will usually remain the same. Sometimes a craftsman uses more than one seal, but usually the seal is not changed depending on the type of clay. Sometimes earlier pots get a seal and then the seal changes for later pots, sometimes half handmade and fully handmade pots get different seals.

Oct 22nd, '14, 11:32
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Oct 22nd, '14, 11:32

chrl42 wrote:
William wrote:From what I know F1 never made Zhuni teapots, at least not officially.

Regards.
More likely, during the CR, the main export destinations were SE asia and Japan, commercial trade with Taiwan only occurred after mid-80s..before that, pots going into Taiwan were via HK...commercial collaboration with HK and Yixing happened since late-70s...correct me if I'm wrong! :)
ZZ Zhuni should be orangish in colour, right? From what I know even the lower grade that are used these days are orangish.The ones heavy fired have a simular colour. So the second example posted by Bagua or it was heavy fired or it is not ZZ Zhuni.
Correct me if I am wrong! :D

Oct 22nd, '14, 13:10

by steanze » Oct 22nd, '14, 13:10

William wrote:
chrl42 wrote:

Regards.
ZZ Zhuni should be orangish in colour, right? From what I know even the lower grade that are used these days are orangish.The ones heavy fired have a simular colour. So the second example posted by Bagua or it was heavy fired or it is not ZZ Zhuni.

The second one looks fine to me, the picture was taken in low light conditions so it seems darker than it is...

Oct 22nd, '14, 18:17

by chrl42 » Oct 22nd, '14, 18:17

steanze wrote:
William wrote:
chrl42 wrote:

Regards.
From what I know, the one with a high amount of natural Shihuang clay tends to be redder. Also related with a temperature of firing, late-Qing and ROC Zhuni were very delicate and shrunk high, so they were fired at kinda lower temperature, that's why they tend to be orange-ish.

Modern ZZ Zhuni has no correct sources, gotta be careful.

Oct 22nd, '14, 19:03

by heliospace » Oct 22nd, '14, 19:03

I had to ask here. It is a perplexing issue. This teapot came from a collector who actually had collected a few of these teapots prior to his passing that had various stamps from the same shop. I know the matter with fake seals and such. And I know the matter with fake clay. This, in person, appears to be more of a reddish-brown vs orange, or any other color. It definitely isn't a "red" but more of a cinnamon red. And from what I thought, zhu ni meant cinnabar clay. I suppose my terminology may be off, but I do appreciate the insight nonetheless and bagua7, thank you for posting those pots. Really helps!!! Cheers!

Oct 24th, '14, 03:21

by bagua7 » Oct 24th, '14, 03:21

Most welcome. That's why why have this lovely community, helping each other out and always learning something new in this 'bottomless rabbit hole.' :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply