Mar 30th, '15, 17:33

Brewing Temperature?

by TaiFong » Mar 30th, '15, 17:33

Hey guys,

I was looking for opinions on brewing techniques using a yixing pot or gaiwan in regards to temperatures used. Lets say using black/red tea with the water boiling. I know the question seems simple but I am wondering this;

So lets say the all the teaware is already warmed. You take the kettle to a table or wherever and start to brew the tea at 205+ degrees (I like stronger tea so my brew times may be a bit higher). So after the 2nd infusion the temperature of the water is significantly less than 205 degrees. I measured the other day and after 15 minutes or so the water temp was down to 180 degrees, mind you this was the 5th brew.

So I am wondering peoples opinion on your style of brewing? Or if you keep the water at the specific temp needed? Do you just brew really quick?

Mar 30th, '15, 19:24

Re: Brewing Temperature?

by tingjunkie » Mar 30th, '15, 19:24

I'll always rinse the leaves with freshly boiled water to wake it up, then usually do the first 2-3 infusions before boiling again, depending on the tea. General guidelines (patterns I've noticed, not hard and fast rules) for me are 1) With all oolongs, puerh, and red teas, the higher the tea quality, the hotter the water it can handle. 2) Gao shan, all puerh, and high fire oolongs usually do better with maximum heat, whereas dan cong, greener TGY, and red teas might need just slightly under boiling.

Ultimately, the tea will tell you what it wants for the next infusion. If the tea was a tad too bitter and strong, back off the infusion time. If a tea lacked punch and was a little boring, reheat the water and/or increase the infusion time. If a tea is getting to the point of being done, let it rest a little, and then add extra heat by placing the pot/gaiwan in a bowl of boiled water, or pour extra hot water over the teapot while brewing. Just one of those things that comes with more experience, but the way to get there is to listen to the individual tea itself and pay attention, instead of applying preconceived guidelines.

Also, I often like to add fresh water when the kettle gets about 1/2 way empty. Reboiling the same water too may times can make it a bit flat, in my opinion.

Mar 30th, '15, 21:55

by wyardley » Mar 30th, '15, 21:55

tingjunkie wrote:I'll always rinse the leaves with freshly boiled water to wake it up, then usually do the first 2-3 infusions before boiling again, depending on the tea. General guidelines (patterns I've noticed, not hard and fast rules) for me are 1) With all oolongs, puerh, and red teas, the higher the tea quality, the hotter the water it can handle. 2) Gao shan, all puerh, and high fire oolongs usually do better with maximum heat, whereas dan cong, greener TGY, and red teas might need just slightly under boiling.
I agree about #1 completely - tea quality is a bigger factor than the type, so it's better to start high, and back off if you don't like the results. If you try to come up with guidelines based on the type of tea, you may end up missing out (or "cooking" the tea).

I personally virtually always use boiling water with red tea, and much of the time, even with very high oxidation oolongs like Oriental Beauty. As far as gaoshan oolong, I actually personally find that I get more of the fruity notes I like (and less of the vegetal ones) by going a little under temperature-wise.

Mar 30th, '15, 21:56

by wyardley » Mar 30th, '15, 21:56

tingjunkie wrote:Also, I often like to add fresh water when the kettle gets about 1/2 way empty. Reboiling the same water too may times can make it a bit flat, in my opinion.
I also do this, splitting the difference between the "never reboil until the water's gone" and the "always top off the water" camps.

Mar 31st, '15, 00:02

by debunix » Mar 31st, '15, 00:02

I use a wide range of brewing temps--from 160 to 205, for first brew, depending on the tea, and electric kettles which will hold the temp as needed (and their digital settings top out at 205 or 207 degrees). I often brew a quick couple of infusions without reheating if the water temp is not dropping too much (e.g., mostly filled kettle and small infusions), but usually reheat. I don't worry a lot about reheating the water if I know the water won't be allowed to cool much or wait long, but I try not to bring a full kettle to boil if I'm going to just brew one or two small infusions.

Mar 31st, '15, 10:01

by TaiFong » Mar 31st, '15, 10:01

Thanks for the input!

I will need to continue my trial and error style as I have been doing since I found loose leaf, Thanks

+ Post Reply