Jun 26th, '15, 04:11

Re: Few questions about pairing tea with a new yixing teapot

by theredbaron » Jun 26th, '15, 04:11

tingjunkie wrote:Welcome! In my experience, if a pot doesn't take to a tea pretty much right away in the first session or two, it's not a good pairing.

I slightly disagree. In an already well seasoned pot this is true, but a new pot often needs some time before it shines. It really depends on the individual pot - some pots take longer, some less.

Jun 26th, '15, 07:40

by bonescwa » Jun 26th, '15, 07:40

Yes, if it's pretty low-fired, I'd let it sit in a bowl of red tea overnight. Then you probably won't have as much of a problem with it as far as dulling the tea.

Jun 26th, '15, 15:29

by tingjunkie » Jun 26th, '15, 15:29

theredbaron wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:Welcome! In my experience, if a pot doesn't take to a tea pretty much right away in the first session or two, it's not a good pairing.

I slightly disagree. In an already well seasoned pot this is true, but a new pot often needs some time before it shines. It really depends on the individual pot - some pots take longer, some less.
I agree a pot will improve some with use, especially in the first 5-10 uses, but in my experience a pot that starts out as killing a tea will never graduate to being a pot that shines with that tea.

Jun 26th, '15, 22:27

by Grill » Jun 26th, '15, 22:27

Well those suggestions of high roasted yancha in this pot were spot on. Almost tasted like a different tea though I'm sure some of that was from continued aging. Now I wish I had more lol.

One more question that's popped up now that I've used the pot a few times. Should I be keeping the lid on or off in-between steepings. With my gaiwans I've always just left it on but I'm afraid of stewing the leaves since the yixing pot holds more heat for longer

Jun 26th, '15, 22:47

by Tead Off » Jun 26th, '15, 22:47

Grill wrote:Well those suggestions of high roasted yancha in this pot were spot on. Almost tasted like a different tea though I'm sure some of that was from continued aging. Now I wish I had more lol.

One more question that's popped up now that I've used the pot a few times. Should I be keeping the lid on or off in-between steepings. With my gaiwans I've always just left it on but I'm afraid of stewing the leaves since the yixing pot holds more heat for longer
Why would you take it off? There is more chance of accident and as I see it, there is no real benefit to doing so. These teas need high heat and continued brewing to get the best out of them.

Jun 26th, '15, 23:15

by Grill » Jun 26th, '15, 23:15

Tead Off wrote:Why would you take it off? There is more chance of accident and as I see it, there is no real benefit to doing so. These teas need high heat and continued brewing to get the best out of them.
Just being paranoid I guess. Combine that with lack of knowledge and experience and you get a silly question lol. Thanks for the quick response

Jun 27th, '15, 00:57

by tingjunkie » Jun 27th, '15, 00:57

It wasn't a silly question at all. I actually do leave the lid off in between the first few infusions of lighter oolongs like green TGY, gao shan, baozhong, etc. Not with roasted oolongs though.

Try experimenting and seeing if you can detect a difference yourself. :wink:

+ Post Reply