Jan 3rd, '16, 13:29

Tenmoku, Jian Zhan Info please..

by LouPepe » Jan 3rd, '16, 13:29

Greetings all. I was looking to pick up a few cups in this style/range of glaze and have not found much info on here. There are a few online sources with good information as to the process and history of tenmoku/jianzhan wares, but very little relating to modern day artists and good sources to buy from these artists.

Was wondering if there are any collectors on here who could share some pieces (pics), knowledge, and reliable sources? I might as well layout what I do know-

1. Kamada Koji is the one artist I know for a fact commands high prices for his wares (and deservedly so.)

2. I know ArtisticNippon carries some nice pieces by a younger artist.

3. Some online sources seem very sketchy as far as quality to price is concerned.

Anybody have tenmoku from the Teaspring website? They are definitely on the affordable side, but the pictures quite frankly are not that great. I don't mind spending even more, given there is piece of mind that the ware is of a reputable artist and will not de-value considerably.

Thoughts, suggestions, your own questions are all very welcome and appreciated!

Jan 3rd, '16, 16:28

Re: Tenmoku, Jian Zhan Info please..

by hobin » Jan 3rd, '16, 16:28

there are usually some interesting items on yahoo.jp. check this:

http://www.jauce.com/search/%C5%B7%CC%DC

hope it helps :D

Jan 3rd, '16, 21:16

by bintuborg » Jan 3rd, '16, 21:16

Those ones on Teaspring look nice to me, I totally did not see those hiding there.

More sources:
Verdant Tea
Teaware House

No idea about value appreciating or depreciating over time.

Jan 4th, '16, 01:19

by LouPepe » Jan 4th, '16, 01:19

hobin wrote:there are usually some interesting items on yahoo.jp. check this:

Very interesting indeed. Prices are all over the map. Have you personally bought anything from there? Thanks!

Jan 4th, '16, 01:38

by LouPepe » Jan 4th, '16, 01:38

bintuborg wrote:Those ones on Teaspring look nice to me, I totally did not see those hiding there.

More sources:
Verdant Tea
Teaware House

Yes, I had totally missed those on Teaspring myself the numerous times I'd been on the site, and only found them by googling tenmoku for sale.

Thanks for the links. Funny enough I placed my first order for one of the ones on teaware.house when the site launched. And I've been viewing Verdanttea's pieces just this weekend. Verdants reputation seems to be suffering from past fiascos, but the story and presentation of the bowls seems well done. My interest is mostly peaked by the hares fur pieces (which are quite pricey), but I'm afraid that it's a bad decision to pull the trigger on one of those. I certainly can't afford those prices on a regular, so it would likely the most and last time I spent that much on a jianzhan piece.

My interest really only is to add maybe 3 or 4 total cups/bowls to my humble little teaware collection. So I'm hesitant to spend that much unless someone could corroborate Verdanttea's facts and claims on the potter(master) who fired and crafted these. I see a lot more oil spot than hares fur pieces. Is it harder to produce hares fur pattern? (Anyone?)

Jan 4th, '16, 01:59

by kyarazen » Jan 4th, '16, 01:59

i thought it would be relevant to post some stolen pictures here, these were posted across several groups and shared by many different members on facebook, how jingdezhen has changed to being "tenmoku-ed".. looks like tenmoku is going to catch on exponentially :)~

left image = jing de zhen street image in the past, and right = now

Jan 4th, '16, 08:47

by hobin » Jan 4th, '16, 08:47

LouPepe wrote:
hobin wrote:there are usually some interesting items on yahoo.jp. check this:

Very interesting indeed. Prices are all over the map. Have you personally bought anything from there? Thanks!
yes, all the time... it's the japanese version of ebay. you can't bid directly but you have to use an agent (I use jauce.com but there are many others). the commission fee is 800 yen + 8%.

Jan 4th, '16, 09:00

by hobin » Jan 4th, '16, 09:00

LouPepe wrote:
bintuborg wrote:Those ones on Teaspring look nice to me, I totally did not see those hiding there.

More sources:
Verdant Tea
Teaware House

Yes, I had totally missed those on Teaspring myself the numerous times I'd been on the site, and only found them by googling tenmoku for sale.

Thanks for the links. Funny enough I placed my first order for one of the ones on teaware.house when the site launched. And I've been viewing Verdanttea's pieces just this weekend. Verdants reputation seems to be suffering from past fiascos, but the story and presentation of the bowls seems well done. My interest is mostly peaked by the hares fur pieces (which are quite pricey), but I'm afraid that it's a bad decision to pull the trigger on one of those. I certainly can't afford those prices on a regular, so it would likely the most and last time I spent that much on a jianzhan piece.

My interest really only is to add maybe 3 or 4 total cups/bowls to my humble little teaware collection. So I'm hesitant to spend that much unless someone could corroborate Verdanttea's facts and claims on the potter(master) who fired and crafted these. I see a lot more oil spot than hares fur pieces. Is it harder to produce hares fur pattern? (Anyone?)
authentic hare's fur bowls are from the song era
http://www.metmuseum.org/collection/the ... arch/42455

99% of what you can buy on the internet are of course reproductions.
however I've seen quite a few nice hare's fur bowls on yahoo.jp. They are old (from the XX century however) and usually come with this box and they are affordable (no more than 5-6000 yen = 50 dollars. but if you're lucky even less)

http://www.jauce.com/auction/q98600029

why are hare's furs (Jianyao) most treasured? It's a zen thing: japanese monks that went to china to learn buddhism and tea usually came back with these bowls...hope this helps

Jan 4th, '16, 09:07

by hobin » Jan 4th, '16, 09:07

Jan 4th, '16, 16:46

by bintuborg » Jan 4th, '16, 16:46

LouPepe wrote: And I've been viewing Verdanttea's pieces just this weekend. Verdants reputation seems to be suffering from past fiascos, but the story and presentation of the bowls seems well done.
Hehe. Yes, I have noticed some weird stuff about Verdant Tea's site. Like that the dimensions of their tea bowls are obviously wrong. I told them that but they didn't fix it. But I really like their small Jianzhan stuff so I ordered from them twice :roll:

Jan 4th, '16, 22:31

by LouPepe » Jan 4th, '16, 22:31

kyarazen wrote:i thought it would be relevant to post some stolen pictures here, these were posted across several groups and shared by many different members on facebook, how jingdezhen has changed to being "tenmoku-ed".. looks like tenmoku is going to catch on exponentially :)~

left image = jing de zhen street image in the past, and right = now

Wow! Thanks for this. And here I was wondering why not much qinghua was showing up on west-faced vendor sites.

If this is not a sign of a trend, then I don't know what is :)

Jan 4th, '16, 22:32

by LouPepe » Jan 4th, '16, 22:32

hobin wrote:
LouPepe wrote:

More sources:
Verdant Tea
Teaware House

authentic hare's fur bowls are from the song era
http://www.metmuseum.org/collection/the ... arch/42455

99% of what you can buy on the internet are of course reproductions.
however I've seen quite a few nice hare's fur bowls on yahoo.jp. They are old (from the XX century however) and usually come with this box and they are affordable (no more than 5-6000 yen = 50 dollars. but if you're lucky even less)

http://www.jauce.com/auction/q98600029

why are hare's furs (Jianyao) most treasured? It's a zen thing: japanese monks that went to china to learn buddhism and tea usually came back with these bowls...hope this helps
Huge help thanks! Seems to me I need to start considering an order :lol:

Jan 6th, '16, 08:07

by Frisbeehead » Jan 6th, '16, 08:07

Toru has a selection of tenmoku pieces on his site. They're all by Hashimoto Daisuke, I own one of the Yunomi and I love it.

http://www.artisticnippon.com/product/f ... items.html

It's too bad the cups are mostly sold out though.

Jan 15th, '16, 20:41

by LouPepe » Jan 15th, '16, 20:41

Frisbeehead wrote:Toru has a selection of tenmoku pieces on his site. They're all by Hashimoto Daisuke, I own one of the Yunomi and I love it.

http://www.artisticnippon.com/product/f ... items.html

It's too bad the cups are mostly sold out though.

I've definitely checked those out. Pretty nice for the price. Hopefully there will be more soon.

Jan 15th, '16, 20:43

by LouPepe » Jan 15th, '16, 20:43

Anyone know if most Chinese/Japanese tenmoku is fired in electric or gas kiln? I don't think many are fired with wood, but if they are then I'm sure cost would be more. Not sure if there are any benefits or downfalls to any particular method.

+ Post Reply