Dec 15th, '06, 22:11

Which teapot?

by deadfingers » Dec 15th, '06, 22:11

Ok well I'm thinking of going to the BX to buy a Jar/teapot for iced tea in the fridge. They have a pretty nice place in the BX that sells porcelain tea sets/jars/pots/ etc and I want to go in and buy one possibly. So I was just wondering, if I buy a teapot that has an "open face" such as one that doesn't have a lid or anything would it affect my tea? I know Iced tea in general shouldn't be left in the fridge for more than a week, but this would be a 1-2 day thing for me then I'd brew up another tea (or a fresh batch). So should I get one with a lid? or would I be fine with just a "open faced" pot?

Dec 15th, '06, 22:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 15th, '06, 22:26

...closed...

You want it as airtight as possible in the fridge for many reasons...the two biggest being...

Tea picks up odors...the fridge is notorious for odors.

Oxygen is enemy #1 of tea...leaf or brewed. Oxygen will cause the premature discoloration and turn in flavor.

Most store bought bottled tea have preservatives in it and is more tolerant of these factors. But if you want fresh tea...and to maintain that freshness, keep it closed.

Dec 16th, '06, 02:48

by deadfingers » Dec 16th, '06, 02:48

Alright thanks, I am actually looking into getting an airtight one. Thanks for the info.

Dec 18th, '06, 06:51

by deadfingers » Dec 18th, '06, 06:51

Alright well I went to check out that shop and well they didn't have exactly what I was looking for. Anyways right now I am indecisive on what to buy. I've been looking at some Thermos made ones, but not sure if that would be "unnecessary" yet the ones Adagio sells nor other places I've seen don't have what I need either. I'd like to have something that can fit a good amount of liquid. Maybe something around 80oz would be good.I want something simple but that that will have a "vacuum" effect since I want my tea to last as much as possible, and still taste great after a day or so. So anyone have any ideas? I'm also looking at something that can brew a lot of tea at once so I am also looking at teapot/infuser types. I really like this one

Teapot

It's only 35oz which kinda sucks but I am still not sure what to get. I'd like to have something tough and rigid if I get something glass. I bought a mug off Adagio (the one with the infuser and lid) and right out of the box I could hear the handle start to crack. I was pretty disappointed with that, I bought another mug here on base that is the same size but way thicker and durable. So anyways to sum it all up, I'd like to have a nice decent sized teapot to store iced tea in the fridge as well as have a decent sized teapot as well to brew it in. The Iced IngenuiTea seems good other than the fact that after you are done brewing you need to disperse the liquid into another container. I would like to have something that big (and that "tough") to brew tea in but I would like to be able to take out the filter itself rather than having to dump the brewed tea out into another pot. Sorry if I am rambling on, just looking for ideas here. If you could help me out to pick something like that I would appreciate it.

Dec 19th, '06, 17:01

by mokie » Dec 19th, '06, 17:01

Tupperware!

Maybe not the swankiest of options, but it comes in various sizes depending on your needs, it's tough, easily cleaned plastic, and it's airtight.

Another option: sun-tea jugs. Most of the ones I've seen are a heavy-duty glass, they close tight since they're meant to be left outside, and many have a spigot at the bottom to allow you to make yourself a glass without lugging the jar in and out of the fridge.

Dec 19th, '06, 18:07

by deadfingers » Dec 19th, '06, 18:07

mokie wrote:Tupperware!

Maybe not the swankiest of options, but it comes in various sizes depending on your needs, it's tough, easily cleaned plastic, and it's airtight.

Another option: sun-tea jugs. Most of the ones I've seen are a heavy-duty glass, they close tight since they're meant to be left outside, and many have a spigot at the bottom to allow you to make yourself a glass without lugging the jar in and out of the fridge.
Tupperware? Sorry not doing that, it's either glass or metal imo. Anyways I did a search for sun tea but got a lot of recipes. Are those "jugs" made by a specific company or just a general type of tea jar? Thanks for the info.

Dec 20th, '06, 17:31

by mokie » Dec 20th, '06, 17:31

deadfingers wrote:Anyways I did a search for sun tea but got a lot of recipes. Are those "jugs" made by a specific company or just a general type of tea jar? Thanks for the info.
Not a specific company, no. The most common have plastic spigots and tops on them and floral patterns on the glass (sunflowers, watermelons, Summery things), but there are plain glass jars with metal spigots available.

Bear in mind I've not used this site, don't know the company, and am just offering the page up as an example of the jars: Prettywood Tea's sun tea jars

+ Post Reply