Tea Tins - what do you use?

Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

Tea Tins - what do you use?

Postby teaintennessee » Jan 4th, '07, 16:35

I love the 2 oz. and 4 oz. containers from agagio, but I purchased some larger amounts and also some tea from a local store and some type of tin or container. If you have found something similar, can you post here? Thanks! :wink:
teaintennessee

Postby Cinnamon » Jan 5th, '07, 10:54

I've picked up so many of the sample tins from Adagio that I use that for my storage. When they're empty I give them a wash, relable them, and fill them from my larger containers. It seems to be working pretty well so far.

There was some discussion about storage containers earlier. You may be able to get some answers viewtopic.php?t=1127. Good luck!
Cinnamon

Location: curled up with my cats, a good book, and a nice cup of tea

Thanks!

Postby teaintennessee » Jan 5th, '07, 17:44

I have been using the sample tins as well, but I really need something a little larger.

That link helped out, I actually tried searching for something like that in the posts but did not see it. Thanks! :wink:
teaintennessee

Postby LavenderPekoe » Jan 5th, '07, 20:39

I <3 the Stash Teas Forest green double lidded tins, but they aren't getting them anymore so the smaller ones are sold out. I think they still have some of the larger ones, though.
LavenderPekoe

Are the replacements as good?

Postby teaintennessee » Jan 6th, '07, 01:46

I looked up what you mentioned on their site, and it shows some replacements - they look a little different though. I could certainly do without the design as well, but a pretty decent price.

http://shopstashtea.com/400009.html
teaintennessee

Postby deadfingers » Jan 6th, '07, 02:15

Those are pretty good, I guess I can throw these in as well

http://rishi-tea.com/store/product.php? ... =16&page=1

They are 2 dollars more but they hold a pretty good amount I'd say.
deadfingers

Postby jogrebe » Jan 6th, '07, 09:43

I have a collection of the old style adagio silver tins that I refill with whatever teas I'm drinking. For the larger amounts (I now only really buy the pound bulk bags) I use airtight plastic food storage containers that I keep in the closet to protect them from the light to refill my main "serving tins".
jogrebe

Postby LavenderPekoe » Jan 6th, '07, 15:36

The Rishi Tea ones look nice.

I don't know if the Stash replacement ones are any good. I don't like the looks of them so I haven't ordered any. I would love to find a new source for the green ones, though.
LavenderPekoe

Postby kissmyhuman » Jan 6th, '07, 19:56

You could always go for some large glass pickling jars with the gasket top. Might be easier to find in some specialty grocery store than tins are.
kissmyhuman

Postby EvenOdd » Jan 6th, '07, 20:02

Just be sure to keep them out of the light.
EvenOdd

Postby teaintennessee » Jan 6th, '07, 20:33

deadfingers wrote:Those are pretty good, I guess I can throw these in as well

Hey deadfingers, those look perfect! I just wish they were a little cheaper. It would be great if they had some maybe 4 ounce sizes too.
teaintennessee

Postby Chip » Jan 7th, '07, 00:48

teaintennessee wrote:
deadfingers wrote:Those are pretty good, I guess I can throw these in as well

Hey deadfingers, those look perfect! I just wish they were a little cheaper. It would be great if they had some maybe 4 ounce sizes too.

I agree, 5 bucks is a crime. UTI has some that are a little smaller albeit, but I buy them by the box...around half a buck.

http://uptontea.com/shopcart/item.asp?f ... egoryID=84

But 5 bucks, I don't think so!!! But then again, Rishi charges 24 bucks for 4 oz of kukicha...they are just very expensive...and then they add insult to injury by overcharging for shipping.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby deadfingers » Jan 7th, '07, 00:51

Actually I completely forgot about these http://rishi-tea.com/store/product.php? ... =16&page=1

They are 2 dollars cheaper and hold more, and honestly I love the black finish. I didn't look into them before because I didn't think they were airtight, but I must have misread. They are airtight, hold 12oz and look way nicer, oh and cheaper at that. :wink: Might stock up on these later one and just buy erasable labels. :)
deadfingers

35 grams?

Postby teaintennessee » Jan 7th, '07, 00:52

Those look nice, but 35 grams - how many ounces is that? I tried to look it up and it only seemed like just over 1 ounce - is that all?
teaintennessee

Postby Chip » Jan 7th, '07, 01:00

...1.25 oz...
I place tea that I am using in it and leave the rest in a reserve container that remains unopened until the tin is empty. This way the reserve stays fresher since I am not constantly opening it.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Instant Messenger

Permissions