Jul 20th, '07, 19:45

by Eastree » Jul 20th, '07, 19:45

Thread resurrection!

It's a good thread. Why not post your new stuff when you get it? If you love it so much, aren't you proud of it?

Any way, here's most of my current out of the ordinary stuff -- that is except the mugs that came with the dished I bought when I moved here.

edit: The short story behind them all. Why? Because doesn't every cherished piece have some kind of story?

The tea pot! A few years ago I was getting curious about loose tea. An online importer listed this hilarious blowfish tea pot, and I jumped at the opportunity. Shortly after, I was transferred so the pot lived in a box for quite some time. I moved about a year ago, and put the tea pot in a corner of my kitchen counter with other things as decoration. Recently I was considering using the Cup Noodle cup, and the tea pot caught my eye. I don't know how I had forgotten about it!

The Cup Noodle cup was from the same importer, and just too fun to pass up. It's that simple xD

R2D2: Around Christmas two years ago, I found it at a local store filled with M&Ms! It was a two-fer!

The monkey cup was a birthday present from someone who knew that (at the time) I was becoming obsessed with Asian culture (mostly Japanese). Since I was born in a year of the monkey, well, you get the idea.
Last edited by Eastree on Jul 20th, '07, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 20th, '07, 21:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Jul 20th, '07, 21:02

I have a matching faircup too

Just for decoration

I couldn't resist :)

Jul 26th, '07, 17:44

A New Addition...

by tomasini » Jul 26th, '07, 17:44

This is my newest piece of teaware and by far one of my most prized! It is the first "tea" gift I have ever received from a friend and I am so ecstatic to be sipping some Dragonwell from it now!

:wink: Thanks Xine

Aug 1st, '07, 03:38

by Eastree » Aug 1st, '07, 03:38

My new stuff is here ... So why not post it?

Aug 3rd, '07, 09:14

by aqueoustransmegan » Aug 3rd, '07, 09:14

I have a complete brambly hedge tea set from royal doulton i use most days.

if i do not feel like having a delicate breakfast i pour my brewed tea into a nalgene and then into mugs...our out of the nalgenes...yeah I know...

I really want to get a less nice tea pot. i really love my b.h. but I started getting it like 20 years ago and I know how much the whole set is worth so I'm always on pins and needles...don't drop the cup don't drop the cut....DOG! get away from my tea! [I have 4 dogs....this happens often]

I'd love to get one of the yixing pots but I like to brew a LOT of tea at once and they are all teeny tiny with teeny tiny cups....not my cup of tea!

Aug 3rd, '07, 10:49

My teapot Family

by hop_goblin » Aug 3rd, '07, 10:49

Here are my recent additions

I have a couple of gaiwans made of white and green jade.

Aug 3rd, '07, 12:44

by tomasini » Aug 3rd, '07, 12:44

Ah, such beautiful yi xing pots!!!

Aug 3rd, '07, 22:07

by ABx » Aug 3rd, '07, 22:07

New stuff! I'm in love with this tray..

Aug 19th, '07, 17:56

by Salsero » Aug 19th, '07, 17:56

My signature cup enjoys shu for one

Tie Quan Yin in a lowrider

Puerh in a teapot on which I've been experimenting lately. Please note the elegant abandoned pie plate which is setting a new style trend, replacing the démodé bamboo tea tray some people are still using.

I have been brewing something -- indifferently sheng puerh or any-which-kind of oolong -- once a day in this poor pot. I have a dozen other yixing style pots, but about a month ago I decided to devote extra time to the care and raising of this pot.

I had been losing my patience with the decades-long dedication you're supposed to give the aging of pots and decided to experiment with a little time compression. This pot was very inexpensive and pours annoyingly slowly (about a 12 second pour time) so I wasn't worried about ruining it. I figured I could afford to donate its body to science, if worse came worst.

After each brewing session, I have been placing the pot and the spent leaves (of whatever tea) into a bowl, covering them with boiling water, and leaving them to steep for 8 to 20 hours. I usually strain the leaves out at some point: seems less likely to nurture ugly things growing in the tea water as it cools and sits. The teapot has been through this form of torture now perhaps 20 times. It started life as a so-called Huang Ni (Yellow Mud) pot. It really wasn't yellow, but it was lighter than it is now. Unfortunately, I never photographed it when it was new, so I don't know how much it has changed. It seems probably a little more shiny now than it used to be, and buffing with a soft cloth does bring out a nice little shine. To the touch, the feel is pretty smooth, but I can't remember how smooth/rough it was to start out!

My question is: Am I abusing this poor pot by feeding it all manner of sheng and oolong (roasted, green, old, light, dark) and then drowning it over night in it's own juices? At least I'm not exposing it to shu, hei cha, or hong cha. Gotta respect its youthful innocence!

I'm not sure what my initial goal with this process was except vaguely to "age" the pot. I don't notice any bothersome carry over of one tea flavor to another (but then mine is not the most discriminating palate). I might notice a touch more softness to the brews in my recent sessions with this pot, a feature which I probably like more than dislike.

If the future of this experiment proves interesting, I may update this note in a month or two.
Last edited by Salsero on Nov 3rd, '07, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 19th, '07, 19:24

by Eastree » Aug 19th, '07, 19:24

Salsero, it looks very much like one of my Yixing pots >_>

Did you by chance get it from a certain ebay dealer?

Aug 19th, '07, 20:43

by Salsero » Aug 19th, '07, 20:43

Yes, a certain ebay dealer with the initials YS. I think Hobbes has the same model. Course now he has a fistfull of better ones.

Aug 19th, '07, 21:13

by Eastree » Aug 19th, '07, 21:13

ahh xD different dealer, very similar pot

Aug 19th, '07, 22:30

by scruffmcgruff » Aug 19th, '07, 22:30

THAT'S the YS huang ni pot?! I have that one too, and it looks so *completely* different I never would have recognized it. I think you've got a good thing going here.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Aug 28th, '07, 18:00

by Salsero » Aug 28th, '07, 18:00

A family portrait of pots waiting for you to drop in and have some tea!

[img][img]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u320 ... 04copy.jpg[/img][/img]
Last edited by Salsero on Feb 1st, '08, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 28th, '07, 18:17

by Space Samurai » Aug 28th, '07, 18:17

i recognize a fukugata