Aug 10th, '07, 09:04

gong fu tea trays

by JT » Aug 10th, '07, 09:04

Hi, new member here.
I've been searching for a tea tray recently and I haven't found much of a selection anywhere yet. It seems like most places have the same trays just at different pricing or they're out of stock. Sites I've browsed already are
funalliance, ebay, TeaSpring, thewholeleaf, yuzumura and a few others. So please recommend some places that i may not have checked out.
What you're opinions on the type of wood used? I've seen mostly bamboo, oak, and a few rosewood trays. Does one hold up better than the others after being exposed to water frequently?
Also, there seems to be 3 styles of trays. One with a sliding plastic tray underneath, the simple box with removable top, and the trays with drains and plastic tubes. Any opinions on these different types? Ease of use, hard or easy to clean etc..
Thanks,
J.

Aug 10th, '07, 12:33

by Space Samurai » Aug 10th, '07, 12:33

I like mine a lot. Though it was more expensive than many of the other's I've seen, I think it was worth the price. It is bamboo; I prefer bamboo. I've had it since February, and so far water has not effected it. It's a box style with removable lid, easy to clean, just dump, rinse, let dry. It has a large capacity for water--I've done tea classes before and haven't filled it up.

Anyway, here it is if you want to take a look: http://www.rishi-tea.com/store/product. ... =14&page=1

Aug 10th, '07, 13:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Aug 10th, '07, 13:50

For the more plain and practical (but still quite nice) trays, you might check out www.sensationalteas.com -- they have some of the best prices I've seen, and the trays are well built.

For the more decorative trays, I've found the best trays and deals on eBay. There are a few teaware vendors that have eBay stores, and usually have a number of good items. I'd just search for "bamboo tea tray" (or similar) and pay attention to the seller's stats. I'm sure you can find something.

Aug 10th, '07, 14:15

by Space Samurai » Aug 10th, '07, 14:15

I don't know why, but I kind of like this one: http://www.sensationalteas.com/LGteatraylong.html

Aug 10th, '07, 14:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Aug 10th, '07, 14:23

Having owned both a tray with the removable top and a tray with a plastic tray, I have to say I like the plastic tray better, as I don't have to worry about pieces warping and not fitting back together again.

The two-piece wooden models are probably the most convenient, but also the most likely to have problems (especially leaks). The draining rigs are often the best-looking, but it isn't as easy to move them around and reattach tubing/ etc., and they seem like they are likely to clog unless you use a bamboo mat or somesuch to catch leaves and keep them from clogging your drain. Still, they are convenient since you can empty into a large bucket and not have to worry about carrying around a shallow tray full of sloshing water.

All that being said, I would suggest going with the cheapest tray you can find for your first one. The type of tray doesn't really matter that much, and you can get an idea of your habits and what you want in a gongfu tray for when it's time to upgrade. Hope this helps!

+ Post Reply