Tea Pets?

Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

Tea Pets?

Postby DethChef » Oct 8th, '07, 17:45

I'm fairly new to the world of ultra-premium teas and brewing paraphernalia but have quite a bit of time behind an espresso machine.

Anyway, what are the little Yixing animals that you see on some peoples tea tables? I've been looking for some, but honestly haven't seen any other than in pictures.

Cheers!
Chris
DethChef

Postby scruffmcgruff » Oct 8th, '07, 17:54

They're just for decoration, as far as I know. You can get them on a couple of the ebay stores, like yunnansourcing llc or dragon tea house.
scruffmcgruff

Postby DethChef » Oct 8th, '07, 18:18

Okay, I found a couple. I find them curious and wouldn't mind finding more, but it would seem as though most of the tea shops here see them as more or less esoteric.

Thanks for the leads.
DethChef

Postby ABx » Oct 8th, '07, 18:46

You're more likely to find them at Chinese shops. They keep them on the tea tray, and pour some excess over the animal for luck. I got mine (my avatar) on eBay, but our local tea shop (caters to Chinese, it's in an all-Asian shopping center) has a couple as well. I know that some do use small jade or wood carvings as well, so the yixing animals aren't the only ones you can use.
ABx

Postby DethChef » Oct 8th, '07, 18:48

Is there a correct or formal name for these?
DethChef

Postby Samovar » Oct 9th, '07, 09:49

Since I don't shop on ebay, is there another place on the web that has these animals?

Samovar
Samovar

Postby DethChef » Oct 9th, '07, 11:35

I contacted Yunnan Sourcing on eBay about them and he wrote back saying he's got access to "hundreds of yixing beasts". You can probably email him your request and see if he can get you what you want. I'm working on a list for him now, if you'd like me to make the inquiry just PM me.
DethChef

Instant Messenger

Permissions