Jan 1st, '08, 12:27

What kind of cup or mug do you use?

by joelbct » Jan 1st, '08, 12:27

Just interested, what material? I like white china teacups, but the tea looks good in glass cups... Is there a taste difference? I seem to notice a slight taste difference with glass teacups...

Jan 1st, '08, 12:38

by Wesli » Jan 1st, '08, 12:38

Some not-great clay with white/clear glazy. I seem to notice a taste difference in everything. From one cup to another, I notice a wide variance. To me, glass seems to preserve the flavor profile, while other clay-made cups actually lend a hand in creating the flavor of the tea. You may think glass is better because it doesn't interfere, but I beg to differ.

Jan 1st, '08, 13:32

by joelbct » Jan 1st, '08, 13:32

Indeed, it seems earthenware imparts some kind of a tempering property upon the tea...

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing...

Jan 1st, '08, 17:37

by Space Samurai » Jan 1st, '08, 17:37

I like cha wan's mostly, tasting cups for gong fu. Personally, I don't much care for glass.

Jan 1st, '08, 18:15
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 1st, '08, 18:15

I have used the same cheap Japanese white porcelain 90 ml cups since I started drinking good tea 8 years ago. I bought them from of all places, Stash. They are just so friendly, approachable, and feel right in my hands. Just the perfect size.

Hell, I even drink my Chinese tea from them. How can I justify this when I preach same country tea/teaware in the Fukugata thread. I have no justification for this except they are so generic, that for all I know they were made in China anyway. When I think how many times I have used them, I am astounded they still look brand new.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jan 1st, '08, 18:26

by TheSteamyPot » Jan 1st, '08, 18:26

Does anyone know where I can get a 180ml Gaiwan set that comes with the cups and sharing pitcher? I can't seem to find a set anywhere.

Jan 1st, '08, 18:52
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Jan 1st, '08, 18:52

As un-fancy as it may be, I almost always drink my tea from a coffee cup. They're readily available and get the job done.

Jan 2nd, '08, 09:25
Scrolling: scrolling

by CynTEAa » Jan 2nd, '08, 09:25

For my everyday tea consumption, must admit i also go for 'un-fancy' vessels -- the All-American Diner Mugs. The heavy duty ceramic preserves the heat as long as possible and as clumsy as I can be, I haven't broken any of them (yet).
:wink:

When i cup something special, i like to use one of the fine white porcelain cups from my tea tasting set.

Jan 2nd, '08, 13:29

by Wesli » Jan 2nd, '08, 13:29

TheSteamyPot, take a look at Dragon Tea House (ebay store). They have lots of sets that sound like what you're looking for.

Jan 2nd, '08, 22:18

by TheSteamyPot » Jan 2nd, '08, 22:18

Thanks, they do have the Gaiwans in the size that I want but I want matching cups and a sharing pitcher. Rishi Tea has one but it only comes with one cup and I have to buy the sharing pitcher seperatly and the bad part is that they don't seem to offer the matching cups seperatly. I emailed them but have not gotten a response to as if they carry the separate cups.

Jan 6th, '08, 02:20

by Mary R » Jan 6th, '08, 02:20

A full, matching set is sort of hard to come by, particularly in the US. You might have better luck buying separate pieces that are all white, or perhaps getting a gaiwan you really like, but white cups and pitcher? If it's any consolation, it appears that the thing to do is to find a set of matching cups. Often times, any brewing vessel will go with them, and the pitchers tend to be a generic white or even a glass.

If the matching is important, I did find some sets.

Yunnan Sourcing has a few selections of a gaiwan, pitcher, and various numbers of matching cups. If the link defaults back to the YS home page, look under their "Ceramic Tea Sets" section. I don't believe any is 180ml, but a couple are 100.

In Pursuit of Tea currently has a larger-capacity set, but it's $70 and has a floral pattern...which I'm not crazy about.
Dragon Tea House DOES have a full set (complete with matching filter) in a goldfish motif, which I rather like. I'm not sure what the capacity is, though.

Imperial Tea Court also has a set called "Imperial Yellow Tea Set" that comes with a small pot. It's advantage is that it also has an aroma cup as well as a drinking cup, which can be useful. In their gaiwan section, they also offer a matching gaiwan. The two would run over $160, though.

You might also find similar pieces in different stores. This cup set from Imperial, for instance, goes nicely with this gaiwan and this fair cup from Dragon.

Jan 6th, '08, 14:20

by hop_goblin » Jan 6th, '08, 14:20

My cups always have to be porceline and Celedon. Just feels right this way!

Jan 6th, '08, 14:21

by TheSteamyPot » Jan 6th, '08, 14:21

Thanks for all the wonderful info Mary! :)

I am planning on getting this set from Dragon Tea House I am also going to get the Waste Water Bucket to go with it. Then I can make my tea all gong fu style. :D

+ Post Reply