$19 Koroko teapot from Den's Tea

Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

Postby Mary R » Feb 19th, '08, 12:15

osadczuk wrote:Sorry for the moronic question - but could someone please post links/images to show me what a 360*. non-360* screen looks like?

Time4Tea wrote:Which one of these has the 360 screen?

The first image is an "Ita-Ami" filter, which is a stainless steel filter that just covers the spout area. It is from the Den's Koroko pot. The second image is an "Obi-Ami" filter, which is a stainless steel 360º filter. It is from the Den's Yutori pot. The third image is a clay sasame filter, which just covers the spout area. It is from the Rishi Kikumaru pot.
Last edited by Mary R on Feb 19th, '08, 12:34, edited 2 times in total.
Mary R

Postby Chip » Feb 19th, '08, 12:20

Time4Tea wrote:Which one of these has the 360 screen? Chip, which do you recommend? While we're on the subject, what IS the best way to clean the screens--with a scrub brush or something sturdier? (Oy, who knew drinking tea would be so complicated! :wink: )

Drat Mary. I just finished my post...and you had done a super job, so, I just deleted mine.

T4T, I just rinse it thoroughly, very thoroughly. It is important to allow it to drain and dry with the spout pointing straight down.

And as I mentioned earlier, I prefer the screens at the spout only. If you use the pot a lot as I do, well, I just worry what goes on unseen behind the 360 screen.

For many sencha, I prefer the SS screen. For my highest grade sencha that is non Fukamushi (deep steamed and consiting of finer particles) I like the Sasami...it has more class. :wink:
Last edited by Chip on Feb 19th, '08, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Mary R » Feb 19th, '08, 12:25

:D

Super Mod swoops in for the steal!
Mary R

Postby Chip » Feb 19th, '08, 12:29

...*delete Mary from existence*

An interesting advantage of these inexpensive, fully glazed kyusu from Den's, you can give it a soak with vinegar, but never do it with an unglazed interior.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Mary R » Feb 19th, '08, 12:32

Chip wrote:An interesting advantage of these inexpensive, fully glazed kyusu from Den's, you can give it a soak with vinegar, but never do it with an unglazed interior.

Yet another reason I want one.

Dangit, I e-mailed Den's a good two weeks ago about when the Koroko will be back in stock and have still received no reply. What gives?
Mary R

Postby Buzz fledderjoh... » Feb 19th, '08, 12:35

Mary R wrote:
Chip wrote:An interesting advantage of these inexpensive, fully glazed kyusu from Den's, you can give it a soak with vinegar, but never do it with an unglazed interior.

Yet another reason I want one.

Dangit, I e-mailed Den's a good two weeks ago about when the Koroko will be back in stock and have still received no reply. What gives?

Hey Mary,

I bought the So-An a couple of weeks ago and asked Den when the Kokoro would be back in stock. He told me by May...along with some new pots.
Buzz fledderjoh...

Postby Buzz fledderjoh... » Feb 19th, '08, 12:38

JRS22 wrote:I thought that the 360 degree screen on the So-An would be removable because there's something at the bottom right below the spout that looks like a tab. Is a removable screen in a kyusu unheard of?

The So-An doesn't have a 360 degree screen (I thought it did too). I bought one a couple of weeks ago and it does indeed have an ita-ami (see Mary's post)
Buzz fledderjoh...

Postby Mary R » Feb 19th, '08, 12:55

May, eh?

I guess I can live until then. :)
Mary R

Postby Wesli » Feb 19th, '08, 14:29

Give me sasame or give me death.
Wesli

Postby Pentox » Feb 19th, '08, 14:42

I've only used Sasami or Obi-ami. I might pick up one of the Den's Kokoros when they're back in to try out the Ita-ami
Pentox

Postby Salsero » Feb 19th, '08, 16:50

Time4Tea wrote:Oy, who knew drinking tea would be so complicated!
It's not just complicated, it is a solemn responsibility! :wink: (The word "oy" seems to be infiltrating TeaChat lately. I think Victoria's Own was the instigator.)

As for cleaning the obi-ami screen, so far I haven't and it looks fine. I have probably brewed a hundred sessions in this pot so far. After brewing tea, I rinse it thoroughly with a full stream of tap water, direct some water into the spout, fill it with boiling water (often twice just to make sure it is really hot), let it sit for 5 minutes or so, drain the water leaving the empty pot still hot, use a paper towel to dry the inside as best I can including the screen, maybe twist the paper towel up and poke it into the spout, leave the lid off for at least 12 hours, and (best) place it spout-down in a mug.

Still, after reading Chip's speculation about what is growing behind the obi-ami, I am a little freaked. Oh, well, it hasn't killed me yet, and (more important) it doesn't seem to be hurting the taste of my sencha.

If there is something back there, I suspect that the best cure would be to brew a nice pot of sencha. Even if it doesn't kill the creepy crawlies, at least it will make me feel better!

And -- as Chip mentioned -- stronger cleaning measures, such as vinegar, can be employed in the case of a glazed kyūsu.

Mary R-

Dang that is a beautiful post about the filters! Thanks.
Salsero

Postby osadczuk » Feb 19th, '08, 17:10

Thank you for the enlightening me. Fo rthe life of me I couldn't figure out how a 360* screen would work, but I get it now.

As with many things, it's actually quite simple once you know.
osadczuk

Postby tmikuckis » Feb 21st, '08, 00:28

very cool looking tea pot, I am looking for a new teapot this may be the one I decide to buy, 19 bucks is a pretty good deal
tmikuckis

Postby Pentox » Feb 21st, '08, 00:31

I'm growing afraid of what will happen at Den's the day they get them back in stock.

Imagines the following scene at Den's:

Guy 1: Oh hey we got the pots back in stock, cool.
Guy 2: Oh um, how many of those did we get in?
Guy 1: 50?
Guy 2: Oh, they're not in stock then. GET PACKING
Pentox

Postby Chip » Feb 21st, '08, 03:16

Sal,

OY..............
Chip
Mod/Admin

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions