Feb 12th, '08, 21:48

Travelling teaware

by Pentox » Feb 12th, '08, 21:48

So I'm finding myself travelling for work more and more nowadays, and I keep wondering if there is some good way for me to take some tea with me. Recently I've just been missing my teaware more and more while i'm out. Anyone have some suggestions for air travel safe teaware?

(and no I'm not going to get the uber-puerh set yet)

Feb 12th, '08, 22:35
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Feb 12th, '08, 22:35

What kind of tea are we talkin'?

Feb 12th, '08, 22:38

by Pentox » Feb 12th, '08, 22:38

Victoria's Own wrote:What kind of tea are we talkin'?
Mostly I drink Japanese greens, but i'm willing to switch around for travelling. Got something in mind?

Feb 12th, '08, 22:48

by Victoria » Feb 12th, '08, 22:48

Well only when desperate times, call for desperate measures -
Oolongs, Black and Whites all do fine in these fillable tea bags from TeaCuppa:
http://www.teacuppa.com/Self-Teabags.asp
They are larger than most and fill from the side, so easier than most too. Also the quality is much nicer than those paper ones you see around - ick.
Very unceremonious for a Japanese Green kinda guy, but effective.

Feb 12th, '08, 23:30

by Cinnamon Kitty » Feb 12th, '08, 23:30

I know skywarrior has one of the mugs from Xiu Xian Teas. If you scroll down, they have a mug where you can put the leaves in, steep the tea, take the leaf compartment off, and resteep the leaves later. I want to try one eventually, but they seem like a good idea for traveling.

Another option is the microwaveable IngenuiTea from Adagio, or to get a bunch of paper tea bags to make brewing easier. Finding a metal mesh filter that you can place in a mug may work as well. I know in most hotels, you can ask for a hot water kettle at the front desk and they may have one.

Feb 13th, '08, 07:49

by Ladytiger » Feb 13th, '08, 07:49

Victoria's Own wrote:Well only when desperate times, call for desperate measures -
Oolongs, Black and Whites all do fine in these fillable tea bags from TeaCuppa:
http://www.teacuppa.com/Self-Teabags.asp
They are larger than most and fill from the side, so easier than most too. Also the quality is much nicer than those paper ones you see around - ick.
Very unceremonious for a Japanese Green kinda guy, but effective.
I think Victoria misses her silk teabags. They're pretty nice though!

Feb 13th, '08, 08:57

by Victoria » Feb 13th, '08, 08:57

Ladytiger wrote: I think Victoria misses her silk teabags. They're pretty nice though!
Awww thanks Ladytiger - yes still crying, those silk bags were the bomb.

Feb 13th, '08, 11:09

by Pentox » Feb 13th, '08, 11:09

Yeah, I guess it looks like i'm going to be switching to teabags or getting a travel mug/infuser. I wish there were some way to tote around a teapot that wouldn't break that isn't a tetsubin.

Feb 13th, '08, 11:14

by Mary R » Feb 13th, '08, 11:14

Actually, the ingenuiTEA or similar pots are rather durable. I'd probably take something like that with me traveling if I didn't already have tetsubins.

Feb 13th, '08, 12:12

by Pentox » Feb 13th, '08, 12:12

Hm I actually hadn't thought of taking an ingenuiTEA with me. Even though that's like one of the most popular ways to brew tea apparently. I guess it's about time for one.

Feb 13th, '08, 12:20
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Feb 13th, '08, 12:20

Cinnamonkitty wrote:I know skywarrior has one of the mugs from Xiu Xian Teas. If you scroll down, they have a mug where you can put the leaves in, steep the tea, take the leaf compartment off, and resteep the leaves later. I want to try one eventually, but they seem like a good idea for traveling.

Another option is the microwaveable IngenuiTea from Adagio, or to get a bunch of paper tea bags to make brewing easier. Finding a metal mesh filter that you can place in a mug may work as well. I know in most hotels, you can ask for a hot water kettle at the front desk and they may have one.
The bottom half of the travel mug is microwavable, which is why I got it. I got a smaller one first from another vendor, liked it a lot, and bought the Xiu Xian Tea one. (Plus you can't go wrong with a dragon on it.)

I've seen a traveling gaiwan on Ebay that looks really cool from Yunnan Source. I don't know how nice it actually is nor have I bought from this vendor. The long shipping time has dissuaded me though. :cry:

Seriously, there is absolutely no reason for you to go tealess while traveling. I'm going to a SFF con this week and bringing my tea stuff. :idea:

Feb 13th, '08, 12:28

by Pentox » Feb 13th, '08, 12:28

Hm and I guess a follow up pair of questions would be:

Suggestions for heating water, microwave, coffee maker, or do you take your own solution?

Suggestions for transporting tea? Just take one kind in like a tin, sandwich bags or something of the ilk, or something more complex and diabolical?

Feb 15th, '08, 12:46

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Feb 15th, '08, 12:46

Well, if you are travelling you will probably be at a hotel.....so for water heating, I would say your best bet is just using a microwave and mug in the room. There are the coffee pots in the room, but honestly, we know all the nasty things that lurk in the sheets of hotels, who knows what scum is in that coffee pot! And there is probably also a residual coffee taste in that pot already. As far as bringing tea, I shy away from plastic bags.....they tend to impart an unwanted taste onto the tea leaves......I either use small metal tins, or glass spice jars. In my opinion, although it would not be ideal, or like having your best tea ware with you, you could get an inexpensive ceramic kyusu and just bubble wrap it, or wrap shirts/socks/etc. around it in the suitcase/duffel bag and Im sure it would stay safe.....just my 2 cents! Hope this helps!

-Nick (TaiPing)

Feb 15th, '08, 15:07

by ABx » Feb 15th, '08, 15:07

You could get a wire mesh basket made for teapots and use that in a plain mug with a makeshift lid (just put something on top) to make your own infuser mug. That way you only need to take a $1 mesh basket with you. If you're going to a hotel you could call ahead to see if they have a kettle and mug that you can use in your room. If they only have a coffee pot you can always take the basket and carafe out to just get the plain hot water.

You could also just learn how to "glass brew" (brewing in a glass). When starting out with tea I often found that a scant tsp of green tea in a 16 oz mug or probably a smaller glass (no infuser, just leave the leaf in) would often make a very good cup. The leaf usually falls to the bottom when it's done.

Feb 15th, '08, 16:54

by Pentox » Feb 15th, '08, 16:54

Hmm so many options. I think i'm leaning toward filling an inginuitea from a coffee maker. I like the thought of taking some of the adagio sampler tins with me, although the teabag solutions are also very alluring. I'm a bit afraid of the crush factor though. I think I do need a travel mug though. Thanks for all of the input so far everyone!

+ Post Reply