Mar 21st, '08, 00:41

by insanitylater » Mar 21st, '08, 00:41

i tried taking the label off the rishi tin and it isn't easy. i think i'll just soak the damn thing in warm water

Mar 21st, '08, 14:46

by Eastree » Mar 21st, '08, 14:46

What did you use? Alcohol works great with most adhesives. So does goof off, but I don't recommend it since alcohol works well enough, and GO is a very odiferous petrolium-based product, which might affect the paint on the tin. Might. Still, it stinks.

Mar 24th, '08, 11:18

by LavenderPekoe » Mar 24th, '08, 11:18

Goo Gone works really well and smells like citrus.
Teas for trade:

Mar 25th, '08, 10:55

by omegapd » Mar 25th, '08, 10:55

Hey All,

I thought I'd "piggyback" on this thread instead of starting another...

I recently have fallen in love with Adagio's Kukicha and ordered more. They were out of the 8 oz. cannisters, and for the price of two 4oz. ones, it was close enough to buy the whole pound bag (which I did). For keeping this fresh, would the best way be to take 1/2 out for everyday use and put the other half in an airtight container and stick it in the fridge? I have a small fridge that just keeps a few sodas in it so there wouldn't be any odd smells for the tea to pick up.

Good idea or not? Thanks in advance.

EW

Mar 25th, '08, 12:39

by Space Samurai » Mar 25th, '08, 12:39

LavenderPekoe wrote:Goo Gone works really well and smells like citrus.
Yeah, that's what I use.

Mar 25th, '08, 12:51

by olivierco » Mar 25th, '08, 12:51

omegapd wrote:Hey All,

I thought I'd "piggyback" on this thread instead of starting another...

I recently have fallen in love with Adagio's Kukicha and ordered more. They were out of the 8 oz. cannisters, and for the price of two 4oz. ones, it was close enough to buy the whole pound bag (which I did). For keeping this fresh, would the best way be to take 1/2 out for everyday use and put the other half in an airtight container and stick it in the fridge? I have a small fridge that just keeps a few sodas in it so there wouldn't be any odd smells for the tea to pick up.

Good idea or not? Thanks in advance.

EW
Good idea if you can avoid water condensation in the tealeaves.

Mar 27th, '08, 03:36
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 27th, '08, 03:36

Unopened tea>>>>>TeaFridge...just sayin'

Opened. I use sample tins available from Upton for my everyday use tea, the remaining balance is stored in another sample tin and a few extra layers of bags...this is opened only to replenish the everyday tin...thus stays fresher since it is opened only once or twice.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 18th, '08, 15:36

by Al » May 18th, '08, 15:36

I just bought some of these:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... U=13164185

I'm hoping with the gasket it will be air-tight enough. Anyone use anything similar? I just bought a pretty large amount of yunnan gold tips and want to keep it in good shape.

May 19th, '08, 02:27

by horsencl » May 19th, '08, 02:27

I use these tins from Rishi. My local Wegman's has them in the tea aisle. I use them to store my Janam teas since they come in foil bags that aren't really airtight. I use the same squarish tin that someone showed earlier in the thread to store my tea samples.

May 19th, '08, 10:09

by Katrina » May 19th, '08, 10:09

I purchased a bunch of tins recently from Specialty Bottle. They sell food grade containers and they were really inexpensive. I got just the basic slide on lid ones but they do have screw on and others that might be better for long term storage. (I needed quantity and CHEAP.)
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

May 19th, '08, 11:57

by Jeremy » May 19th, '08, 11:57

I like these tins, very nice. I usually wind up using these very small tupperware that I got from Ikea.

As a follow up, who keeps there tea in the fridge? Is this necessary?

Jeremy

May 19th, '08, 13:31

by PolyhymnianMuse » May 19th, '08, 13:31

Jeremy wrote:I like these tins, very nice. I usually wind up using these very small tupperware that I got from Ikea.

As a follow up, who keeps there tea in the fridge? Is this necessary?

Jeremy
Keeping unopened bags of tea in the fridge (especially japanese greens) helps keep them fresher for longer. You don't want to keep an opened bag of tea in the fridge. What happens is when you opened the seal, air gets in the bag. If you put that in the fridge the air is going to condense in the bag and ruin the tea.

Aug 18th, '08, 15:18

by Chip » Aug 18th, '08, 15:18

Accidents may be the motherhood of inventions, but also enlightenment.

A week ago I was nibbling on a pretzel sticks. I decided not to eat the last one, and since I was upstairs, I decided to put it into an empty Wenshan Baozhong tin from Harney I had sitting nearby.

Today I was thinking about using the tin for some other Wenshan Baozhong, forgetting my late nite snack I had left inside. I picked up the pretzel and took a bite. Much to my dismay and surprise, it was very stale and very soft having not only obviously been exposed to air, but having absorbed moisture as well. I then went downstairs knowing I had more pretzels left in the rolled up bag in my kitchen, the most humid room of my house. The pretzels in the bag were not new bag fresh, but were A LOT fresher and crunchier that the one in the Harney tin.

Conclusion, which I already knew, but was shocked by the dramatic accidental results. Square single top vendor tins such as Harney's are FAR from airtight, at least this one was not.

The TeaScientist in me is curious. I may try a more controlled experiment with various tins and bags I have around.

But my initial impression was that it is better to leave tea in a rolled up bag than to transfer it to a Harney tin.

Aug 18th, '08, 15:30

by Geekgirl » Aug 18th, '08, 15:30

Interesting results. I do know that other single top tins can be equally problematic, the exception being the screw top type that matcha is sold in, IF it has the polymer bead around the inside where lid contacts rim.

I know this because of Earl Grey. I have some highly fragrant EG, and when I kept it in a single top, I could smell it if I even opened the cupboard. Also, the scent from the leaves became weaker over time.

I've had some EG in a double lidded tin for about 5 months now, I cannot smell it on the outside of the tin, but when I open it, the essential oil seems as strong as the day it was purchased. I'm confident about most of my double lid tins, because when I pull the inner lid off, it makes a slight popping sound, like there is air resistance. I have two very pretty tins though, that don't make the sound, and I think they are not airtight, but still better than my single tops.

Aug 18th, '08, 15:39

by betta » Aug 18th, '08, 15:39

Chip wrote:Unopened tea>>>>>TeaFridge...just sayin'
Agree..
I also simply put it in a canister and stores it in the fridge. I'm no expert but most of tea houses I found in China store their 'precious teas' directly in subzero freezers just to keep it fresh probably because of low humidity in the fridge. Tea freshness is influenced significantly by the environment humidity.
Ask any tea drinker from china for more detail :wink:

+ Post Reply