Apr 1st, '08, 18:50

Does your UtiliTea knob give resistance near brown setting?

by Perennial Tears » Apr 1st, '08, 18:50

I just received my UtiliTea and noticed that the knob has a spring type action and the dot on the knob won't rest on the white hash marks closer to the brown setting. Although, it will rest on the brown setting. Is mine defective?

Apr 1st, '08, 19:46

by Mary R » Apr 1st, '08, 19:46

Nah. Once you turn the knob to the brown area, the water boils. It doesn't matter if it's actually resting on a hash mark or not. My UtiliTea does the same thing. If you carefully turn it, you'll notice that there are a couple areas of resistance, one just past the green and one just by the brown. I think there must be some sort of gizmo in there that basically says "don't boil" and "boil," but I'm not cracking open my precious kettle to find out!

Apr 1st, '08, 20:04

by Perennial Tears » Apr 1st, '08, 20:04

Mary R wrote:Nah. Once you turn the knob to the brown area, the water boils. It doesn't matter if it's actually resting on a hash mark or not. My UtiliTea does the same thing. If you carefully turn it, you'll notice that there are a couple areas of resistance, one just past the green and one just by the brown. I think there must be some sort of gizmo in there that basically says "don't boil" and "boil," but I'm not cracking open my precious kettle to find out!
Thanks for the response Mary! Damn this thing heats water quick! My herbal teas that require 180 degrees @ 7 minutes have tasted way better so far, no joke!

Apr 1st, '08, 20:36

by insanitylater » Apr 1st, '08, 20:36

mine can stop on the white hash mark before the brown one but not on the three before that one. i didn't think it was a big enough deal to send the kettle back so i didn't

Apr 1st, '08, 22:15

by Mary R » Apr 1st, '08, 22:15

Perennial Tears wrote:Damn this thing heats water quick!

Seriously. The UtiliTea is my third electric kettle. The first was some sort of hand-me-down I got from an auntie when I was in college. It looked like a stovetop kettle with a plug...and it took a good 15 minutes to bring 4 cups of water to a boil. I'd flick it on in the morning, take a leisurely shower, and be done just in time to hear the whistle.

The UtiliTea works on light speed compared to that miserable piece of junk.
insanitylater wrote:mine can stop on the white hash mark before the brown one but not on the three before that one.
I've just fiddled with my kettle, and that's where the catch is on mine, too. I can feel a little bit of resistance on the dial just a notch or so past the green zone, then a significant bit just at that point.

I'm pretty sure that's where the boil switch is.

I need to go through and figure out what temps are where again. All my crazy markings have worn off.

Apr 2nd, '08, 11:32

It looks like its working to spec.

by Perennial Tears » Apr 2nd, '08, 11:32

Here's a reply from Adagio:

"Thank you for your note. The utiliTEA is meant to function with the green
and orange settings only, with the spring turning all the way to the
orange/boiling setting. We hope this information helps!"

Apr 3rd, '08, 15:41

by insanitylater » Apr 3rd, '08, 15:41

so the other ones are not meant to be used ? odd

Apr 3rd, '08, 18:58

by Mary R » Apr 3rd, '08, 18:58

Meh, not really. If you'll notice, Adagio recommends a brewing temp of either 180ºF or 212ºF for all their teas. The upper-most green notch is just about 180º and the brown zone is clearly 212º (depending on your altitude, of course).

The kettle is capable of temperatures lower than 180º, of course, and with a bit of finesse, you can get it to consistently go stop at temps in the 190º range, but it does take a bit more quality kettle time to find those dial points.

I don't know if the range was the idea, or if it was just a happy coincidence, but that's why I like the kettle.

+ Post Reply