May 30th, '08, 04:26

by tenuki » May 30th, '08, 04:26

Victoria wrote:I like the sterno idea myself. But then I'm a girl.
It just seems easier and more simple.
I've used both and alcohol is easier IMO. It's basically like a candle, you light it, it burns, when you are done you put the lid on and it stops. No futzing. Filling it is as simple as pouring a liquid in a cup and screwing on the lid. FLT has wick alcohol burners on all their tables - setups pretty much like mine, and you get addicted. :D In my experience sterno can also have an unpleasant smell sometimes, not an issue outdoors.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jun 1st, '08, 02:17
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 1st, '08, 02:17

Jun 1st, '08, 02:19

by tenuki » Jun 1st, '08, 02:19

Victoria wrote:Just surfing tonight I found a couple of interesting items:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chinese-Ceramic-Tea ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ceramic-Hanging-Tea ... dZViewItem
Yup, know about those - after shipping they are just as expensive as the Hou De ones and less attractive. These are exactly the products I'm trying to replace. :D
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Dec 29th, '11, 20:17

Re: Outdoor kettle setup - research thread

by tenuki » Dec 29th, '11, 20:17

I know this is an old thread, but I have updated information. :)

I've been using my wickless alcohol burner I ordered from a scientific supply company for 8 bucks for a while now after my original glass one broke. My only complaint is that it burns a little too hot, although that isn't really a big problem it would be nice if it was at least adjustable. I'm thinking of modifying it, will report back if that works and how to do it.

Dec 30th, '11, 12:02

by tea.and.peace » Dec 30th, '11, 12:02

At home I have a electric tea kettle for boiling the water.

I don't use currently a kettle for brewing.

In a outdoor environment. Say to make tea in one of the local forests. I just pack my tea gear. Then I have my jet boil backpack stove. Something that I already owned. I boil water only once for each infusion. It boils very timely. The hardest part is just finding good spots that I can set up my gear on the forest floor. Sometimes I just use a bench along a trail, and maybe even share tea with passerby hikers. If they seem open, and patient.

The jet boil is far from a traditional way of heating water. Though it works great. It provided me no need to get all OCD on burners, pots, etc. It just works, and took little effort since I already had the backpacking stove in stock.

Dec 30th, '11, 21:19
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Dec 30th, '11, 21:19

tenuki wrote:I know this is an old thread, but I have updated information. :)

I've been using my wickless alcohol burner I ordered from a scientific supply company for 8 bucks for a while now after my original glass one broke. My only complaint is that it burns a little too hot, although that isn't really a big problem it would be nice if it was at least adjustable. I'm thinking of modifying it, will report back if that works and how to do it.
That can be a problem for a number of cooking scenarios - the solutions to which may be of help.

In order to use a Moroccan Tagine over a gas flame it is best to use a heat diffuser
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/p6280/Heat-Diffuser
this one works well with my Tagines.

Of course the ones we used in the 1960s were made of asbestos - oops - but nowadays there are many less agressive solutions http://fantes.com/trivets.html

+ Post Reply