Where can I buy yixings under 120ml?


Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

Postby chrl42 » Jun 26th, '08, 11:07

britt wrote:
MarshalN wrote:All Yixing artisans make their pots in sets of three -- you never fire one, but you fire three of the same kind. It's just how work is done (mostly because if you fire one and it's damaged during firing, you end up with none). So technically, they should be at least three of a kind, not one of a kind.


Japanese Bizen artisans should be so lucky! A Japanese vendor told me that typically 3 out of 10 items survive the kiln, and it is very rare that any two of these look the same.


Well, that's exactly surviving percentage of Zhu Sha ni(type of Zhuni).
User avatar
chrl42
 
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mar 22nd, '
Location: Beijing

Postby tenuki » Jun 26th, '08, 13:56

I think this shelf is 100ml and under....

Image
User avatar
tenuki
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Oct 23rd, '
Location: Seattle Area

Postby Geekgirl » Jun 26th, '08, 13:58

cool, which teashop is that?
User avatar
Geekgirl
 
Posts: 2700
Joined: May 31st, '
Location: Portland, OR

Postby ABx » Jun 26th, '08, 14:24

I'm sure that 5000 Friends has some good pots, but most of them seem to have been rubbed down with shoe polish to artificially age them. I tend to stay away from them on principal, though it doesn't look like they hike up their prices.

I got my small 60ml(?) from Chinese Teapot Gallery (the small one on the right):
Image

The one on the top left is a big one that's of exceptional quality. It was claimed to be a "master" quality, and while I don't really know whether it is or not it really is the best made pot I've ever seen. The picture doesn't really capture the incredible surface of the clay - very dense/tight, smooth, and as shinier than I've seen in a new pot elsewhere. I don't often use it because of it's size, but it's still one of my favorites.
User avatar
ABx
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Jul 7th, '0
Location: Portland, OR

Postby ABx » Jun 26th, '08, 14:32

MarshalN wrote:Your point 2 has less to do with the pot's make than how you pour. I can make any pot pour with bubbles, or no bubbles. It's entirely dependent on the way you pour, and not on the pot itself. Dripping is another issue, but we're not talking about dripping. Unless you provide parameters for your bubble test....
Can't that also be a quality of the tea that you're brewing? I thought I read that somewhere, but it's equally possible that I was reading about signs of brewing well; I don't quite recall, it's been a while since I read it.
User avatar
ABx
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Jul 7th, '0
Location: Portland, OR

Postby MarshalN » Jul 2nd, '08, 00:10

Cracks are unfortunately not salvagable. It'll only get bigger if you keep using it.

So.... stop using it... if you want it to look good.

Otherwise... buy the same one from wherever you got.
User avatar
MarshalN
 
Posts: 2041
Joined: Mar 15th, '

Postby hop_goblin » Jul 2nd, '08, 10:49

tenuki wrote:I think this shelf is 100ml and under....

Image


You can tell by the sheen of these pots that they are of lower quality. Oh don't ge me wrong, they will do the job, but will possibly not become seasoned or have that luster about them after years and in some cases months of using them. I believe that Zisha should almost never shine like this unless they are weathered or of course the infamous Zhuni. In fact, many of these types of pots are made of Taiwanese clay and or poor quality zisha with additives in them.
User avatar
hop_goblin
 
Posts: 1937
Joined: May 22nd, '
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!

Re: Yixing selection and hairline crack...

Postby hop_goblin » Jul 2nd, '08, 10:53

Sleepydrakos01 wrote:I must admit, I still am very new to yixing and selecting. Since 3 of the same design are fired, each one is inturn unique. I was wondering if someone could help me.

My girlfriends teapot has a tiny hairline crack, most likely from the kiln. Today, she heard the crack get bigger. How can we save this teapot?

The crack is clear through the clay.

By the way, I know I am still not anywhere near knowledgeable about Yixing. I can spot some cheap ones but authenticating is another issue all together.

Hope to get your feedback.


Yes, Take Marsaln's advice. Yixing will expand and contract according to temp of the water which will undoubtably make the crack bigger.
User avatar
hop_goblin
 
Posts: 1937
Joined: May 22nd, '
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!

Re:

Postby bagua7 » Jan 14th, '13, 20:11

ABx wrote:I'm sure that 5000 Friends has some good pots, but most of them seem to have been rubbed down with shoe polish to artificially age them.


SEEM. The key word. Have you purchased and PERSONALLY handled any of their pots? No, you haven't.

I have several 5000friend pots and the clay used is good. It is not old zhu ni otherwise the prices would be really high. Still those pots are made of older clay, lower use of mixing various clays. I am very happy with the four pots I got from that vendor.

The reason I have bumped this old thread is to provide factual information to new users enquiring about various Yixing vendors and to put to an end to all rumours that 5000friend pots are either fake or been rubbed with shoe polish, which is just pure hearsay, no real facts. Yixing gossip.
User avatar
bagua7
 
Posts: 1193
Joined: Jul 21st, '

Re: Re:

Postby TIM » Jan 14th, '13, 20:42

bagua7 wrote:
ABx wrote:I'm sure that 5000 Friends has some good pots, but most of them seem to have been rubbed down with shoe polish to artificially age them.


SEEM. The key word. Have you purchased and PERSONALLY handled any of their pots? No, you haven't.

I have several 5000friend pots and the clay used is good. It is not old zhu ni otherwise the prices would be really high. Still those pots are made of older clay, lower use of mixing various clays. I am very happy with the four pots I got from that vendor.

The reason I have bumped this old thread is to provide factual information to new users enquiring about various Yixing vendors and to put to an end to all rumours that 5000friend pots are either fake or been rubbed with shoe polish, which is just pure hearsay, no real facts. Yixing gossip.


Please show us your pots from 5000 as examples?
User avatar
TIM
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Apr 4th, '0
Location: NYC

Re: Re:

Postby AdamMY » Jan 14th, '13, 22:20

bagua7 wrote:
ABx wrote:I'm sure that 5000 Friends has some good pots, but most of them seem to have been rubbed down with shoe polish to artificially age them.


SEEM. The key word. Have you purchased and PERSONALLY handled any of their pots? No, you haven't.

I have several 5000friend pots and the clay used is good. It is not old zhu ni otherwise the prices would be really high. Still those pots are made of older clay, lower use of mixing various clays. I am very happy with the four pots I got from that vendor.

The reason I have bumped this old thread is to provide factual information to new users enquiring about various Yixing vendors and to put to an end to all rumours that 5000friend pots are either fake or been rubbed with shoe polish, which is just pure hearsay, no real facts. Yixing gossip.



Also I want you to keep in mind you revived a 4-5 year old thread. anyone who has watch 5000 fiend these past 4-5 years, knows that they have actually become more honest lately. About 5 years ago you could often find incredibly dubious age claims on their site, which was attempted to be backed up by pots that were quite visibly shoe polished, easily spotted by amateurs after they have seen a few good and bad examples.

I realized as I am responding to this I have not checked out their store for several months. Things today look a lot better than they did five years ago.
User avatar
AdamMY
 
Posts: 2336
Joined: Jul 22nd, '
Location: Capital of the Mitten

Re: Re:

Postby ImmortaliTEA » Jan 15th, '13, 00:10

AdamMY wrote:
bagua7 wrote:
ABx wrote:I'm sure that 5000 Friends has some good pots, but most of them seem to have been rubbed down with shoe polish to artificially age them.


SEEM. The key word. Have you purchased and PERSONALLY handled any of their pots? No, you haven't.

I have several 5000friend pots and the clay used is good. It is not old zhu ni otherwise the prices would be really high. Still those pots are made of older clay, lower use of mixing various clays. I am very happy with the four pots I got from that vendor.

The reason I have bumped this old thread is to provide factual information to new users enquiring about various Yixing vendors and to put to an end to all rumours that 5000friend pots are either fake or been rubbed with shoe polish, which is just pure hearsay, no real facts. Yixing gossip.



Also I want you to keep in mind you revived a 4-5 year old thread. anyone who has watch 5000 fiend these past 4-5 years, knows that they have actually become more honest lately. About 5 years ago you could often find incredibly dubious age claims on their site, which was attempted to be backed up by pots that were quite visibly shoe polished, easily spotted by amateurs after they have seen a few good and bad examples.

I realized as I am responding to this I have not checked out their store for several months. Things today look a lot better than they did five years ago.


+1
User avatar
ImmortaliTEA
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Apr 12th, '
Location: Sunrise, FL

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation