Jun 19th, '08, 16:54

by keelyn » Jun 19th, '08, 16:54

I use a Pur faucet filter. I can taste the chlorine in the water here otherwise, and a scale develops in my stainless steel kettle if I use unfiltered water.

I also like Pur's because the 3-stage filters run the water over minerals to add a little "mountain stream" taste. How successful it is, however, I have no idea.

Since filters also contain charcoal I like to think it has near the same effect as boiling with bamboo, however this effect could just be psychological as well.

Jun 19th, '08, 17:25

Re: do you filter your water ?

by Pentox » Jun 19th, '08, 17:25

tenuki wrote:
insanitylater wrote:i've been filtering using brita pitchers but apparently they aren't that good
http://www.waterfiltercomparisons.com/W ... Matrix.cfm

aquasana looks promising but i'm also curious about water distillers. if i got the latter i would probably look into something to re add the good minerals back into it
That website is sponsored by the makers of Aquasana, but you have to dig down to find that fact. For that reason alone I'm not buying one, a quality product should not have to resort to that sort of deception. Multi-pure seems like a better alternative, but to be fair other sources also rate Aquasana highly for the price.
I had a feeling that was true. The way that comparison table was laid out really pointed right at that.

Jun 29th, '08, 17:56

Water filtering

by taitea » Jun 29th, '08, 17:56

Not sure where to put this topic, so here it is. What is the general consensus on best water to use? I basically see this as:
bottled spring water vs. tap water vs. (brita) filtered tap water

I actually recently got a brita filter but I find it adds (or maybe takes away) a weird flavor to the water when I drink the water by itself. Maybe that's what water is "supposed" to taste like?

Jul 1st, '08, 12:25

by heavydoom » Jul 1st, '08, 12:25

i got this filter thing hooked up to my tap, the water goes through four types of filter, the water tastes sweetly and there seems to be no problems with the tea. if it's not broken, why fix, yeah?

Jul 1st, '08, 12:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 1st, '08, 12:50

At home I use filtered water through the fridge.
At work I use bottled water.
Charcoal does add sweetness and a bit of softness
when added to the kettle.

Jul 1st, '08, 12:58

by chamekke » Jul 1st, '08, 12:58

keelyn wrote:I use a Pur faucet filter.
I actually first read that as a Pu-ehr faucet filter.

That would be one specialized water filter... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jul 1st, '08, 15:20

by Trioxin » Jul 1st, '08, 15:20

I've got filters installed under my sink on the the cold water line. They seem to do a great job. When they cleared out the pipes in my neighborhood, the water ran clean, while the rest of the faucets ran brown.

Jul 1st, '08, 15:38

by Carnelian » Jul 1st, '08, 15:38

We have a office style water cooler with 5 gallon bottles that we refill ourselves at the grocery store (mega cheap that way). Not only does this keep our icky tap water away from my teaware (We are not as blessed as some with municipal water supplies), but having really cold water on demand compels us to drink more fluids.
Life is like a cup of tea, savor it slowly or it will be gone too fast

Jul 1st, '08, 16:36

by hop_goblin » Jul 1st, '08, 16:36

I walk up the tallest stream and look for a spot that I can see the rocks clearly through the water to get my water!

Jul 1st, '08, 16:41

by keelyn » Jul 1st, '08, 16:41

chamekke wrote:
keelyn wrote:I use a Pur faucet filter.
I actually first read that as a Pu-ehr faucet filter.

That would be one specialized water filter... :shock: :shock: :shock:
rofl!

Jul 1st, '08, 17:42

by keelyn » Jul 1st, '08, 17:42

Pure water does not have any taste. Deciding to treat your tap water depends on the characteristics it has coming out of the tap which varies depending on your geographical location. Ie, my tap water is heavily chlorinated to the point i can taste it so I use a filter that removes chlorine.

Mineral content in water does vary and can affect the taste of brewed teas. Some people may prefer certain brands of bottled water to brew their tea due to their mineral content, but I don't dabble in this. My filtered water is just fine to my taste.

Jul 1st, '08, 19:04
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Jul 1st, '08, 19:04

It's Omar! Run!!!!

Jul 1st, '08, 20:23

by tseirPsaduJ » Jul 1st, '08, 20:23

I have well water. So no, I don't filter it. When I travel I take giant jugs of my water with me. Store bought spring water, tastes off, and "purified" city water tastes flat and chemically, even if everything is "gone". I CAN tell the difference. I was thinking about taking charcoal or those one pellets (I cannot remember the name), with me from now on though. Despite taking my weight in water there is never enough, and it is hard to travel with. I'm tired.

Jul 2nd, '08, 08:08

by Sam. » Jul 2nd, '08, 08:08

I use a Brita pitcher. I think it tastes cleaner than tap water but maybe it's just psychological.

Jul 3rd, '08, 20:02

by britt » Jul 3rd, '08, 20:02

My tap water is horrible, chlorinated, and fluoridated, so I buy bottled spring water. I'm not big on forced medication, so even if I de-chlorinated the tap water, the fluoride would still be there and I'd still buy bottled spring water.

I've been told that some bottled water, including spring water, has fluoride added but this should be noted on the label. I haven't actually seen this myself, but beware.

+ Post Reply