Jul 16th, '08, 18:59

Suggestion for the "Show Off your Pots" thread

by joelbct » Jul 16th, '08, 18:59

I suggest that the "TeaChat-Powers-That-Be" add a "TeaWare Photo Gallery Area," like this- ie not a thread, but an adjunct Photo-only app. This would be not to replace the "Show Off Your Pots/Cups" thread, but just a parallel area: only the Photo's, w/ tags for the item type, origin, style, owner, etc (maybe comments add-able as well).

Then say someone wanted to look at just all the Chawans, or just Western Pots or cups, or just YiXing pots, or everything, or whatever combination, they could pull that up and search by owner/poster, by most recent, etc, without having to troll through 1,500 posts, many of which don't even have TeaWare in them. I love that thread, but it is indeed getting to be a bit cavernous...

Anyway, it would be a nice little virtual Teaware museum, and would enable us to catalogue our considerable group collection.

Any thoughts?

Jul 16th, '08, 20:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Jul 16th, '08, 20:22

Jul 16th, '08, 20:30

by Mary R » Jul 16th, '08, 20:30

Okay, that might just be the incentive I needed to jump on the Flickr bandwagon.

Jul 16th, '08, 20:33

by brandon » Jul 16th, '08, 20:33

If you join the group, you will also see photos from me.
My photos are not marked private, but for some reason they do not show up to unregistered users.

Jul 16th, '08, 20:51

by chamekke » Jul 16th, '08, 20:51

Argh... I've been saving my photos to PhotoBucket.

Is there a way to batch-export them to Flickr?

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jul 16th, '08, 21:10

by joelbct » Jul 16th, '08, 21:10

chamekke wrote:Argh... I've been saving my photos to PhotoBucket.

Is there a way to batch-export them to Flickr?
I too... Yah I suppose flicker could work.

Here's a project for someone without a job or on summer break or just independently wealthy with lots of free time- go through the entire 1,500 page thread and save all the TeaWare images to Flickr, and tag them as well.

Sounds like a party!

Jul 16th, '08, 22:35

by Chip » Jul 16th, '08, 22:35

Yeah, an interesting idea. Initially, it would require a huge effort, and then constantly adding new ones.

The alternative would be to simply have an accessable official TeaChat Photo Bucket or Flicker account. Victoria and I discussed this a bit. She has a lot of experience to draw from from her moderator days.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 16th, '08, 22:54

by Geekgirl » Jul 16th, '08, 22:54

I don't think you'd want an open access flickr account, but what you could do is have several people with group access. But if you are drawing photos from the pool here at Teachat, you would very quickly exceed your "free" display.

About Flickr:

Flickr shows the last 200 photos uploaded to a free account. Anything older than 200 pics does not display, although links to the photos (like for blogs and DBs,) remain live, and the photos will display there.

Groups on flickr do not have that limitation, so if teachatters create an account, upload their own photos and place them in the pool, they may never individually need more than the free account.

You can buy a "pro" account for $25/year, which lifts upload restrictions, displays all of your photos in your "photostream" (album), and lifts image size restrictions. So if you get the free account there, you have plenty of room to play so you can decide if you want to maximize your account.

FTR, I've paid for my "pro" level account for 2 years running and like it very much. Usability is very basic, and I often wish I had a zenfolio account or some other photo host so I could so some fancy album display tricks. But the Flickr display is clean and sequential, you can make basic folders, and rearrange the folders, though you can't arrange your photostream. Your first displayed photo is ALWAYS your most recent upload (you can manipulate this just a bit by changing the upload date in "edit." Ha!)

Their tagging system is awesome, so if you want your photos to be found (or to find other photos,) search works great. And there are the "social networking" aspects in the photoshare groups.

But, there is no multiple user function for a single account, though I do think you can add admin for groups. If multiple people here wanted to upload photos to a single flickr account, they would need to share a single YahooID and password. (Probably not a fantastic idea to post a general one on a public board.)

Jul 17th, '08, 00:19

by joelbct » Jul 17th, '08, 00:19

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:You can buy a "pro" account for $25/year, which lifts upload restrictions, displays all of your photos in your "photostream" (album), and lifts image size restrictions.
Well, I suspect that whatever software Adagio is using for this forum comes equipped with a photo album feature already, and they just haven't activated it. Flikr and photobucket are cool, but it might be more convenient to have it here rather than on a different url. Something like:

...this pcapex forum gallery or this avs forum gallery... But with TeaWare instead!

Jul 17th, '08, 01:27

by Space Samurai » Jul 17th, '08, 01:27

...am I the only one who thinks maybe we're over thinking this one a bit?

Jul 17th, '08, 01:45

by chamekke » Jul 17th, '08, 01:45

Space Samurai wrote:...am I the only one who thinks maybe we're over thinking this one a bit?
Nawww.

Jul 17th, '08, 01:54

by Victoria » Jul 17th, '08, 01:54

That's very possible Space. I never really thought of the thread as any kind of reference, and rarely do I go back. I take it for what it is, people showing of their recent purchases. You keep up on it and see who's bought what, and it ends there for me anyway.

That being said I think maybe the TeaDay photos should be preserved. But I guess that is my opinion. Just as others want the pots & cups preserved.

I am more than willing to help out in whatever or whichever official version is decided upon.

Jul 17th, '08, 02:29

by Salsero » Jul 17th, '08, 02:29

Space Samurai wrote:...am I the only one who thinks maybe we're over thinking this one a bit?
I always say, if it ain't fixed, break it.

Jul 17th, '08, 09:45

by Zodduska » Jul 17th, '08, 09:45

I agree. Too late to stop now though.. I think an album type posting would be easier to get all the pictures in one place.

I think it would be really good if people archived already posted pictures to an album type setting to preserve them.
Last edited by Zodduska on Jul 17th, '08, 11:46, edited 2 times in total.

Jul 17th, '08, 09:46

by joelbct » Jul 17th, '08, 09:46

I respectfully disagree- photo gallery features are pretty standard on forums. This isn't rocket science here...
Zodduska wrote:it would also eliminate the nice discussion and image posting thread we already have going which directly contributes to forum activity. :?
joelbct wrote:This would be not to replace the "Show Off Your Pots/Cups" thread, but just a parallel area
(wouldn't eliminate anything)

+ Post Reply