May 12th, '09, 19:20

by t4texas » May 12th, '09, 19:20

Smells_Familiar wrote:i didn't contact scott about the smell issue. if i remember correctly, it took ~ 3 months for the pots to arrive at my door and once i got them i just didn't want to deal with anymore problems. so i boiled them and opened them up and hoped the smell would go away...and it did. in scott's defense, i ordered them right at the time of the olympics and that is the cause for the delayed shipping. i'm not going to contact scott as it's been ~ 9 months and the smells have gone.

if i sell these, i won't be giving my problem to someone else, as there is no problem with the pots... the one has a pour that's, imo too slow for sheng (ill mention in discription), but it would be fine for most other teas. don't worry about it..
To each his own. I just could not imagine paying that much for a pot and not asking Scott what was going on. I'm not drinking out of something that smells like latex paint or acryl.

BTW, what was the pour rate on yours?

Anyone else have a report on these pots? Good, bad or indifferent?

May 12th, '09, 21:22

by wyardley » May 12th, '09, 21:22

I don't know about these particular ones, but sometimes pots pick up smells from the glue of the box.

May 12th, '09, 21:32

by babalian » May 12th, '09, 21:32

wyardley wrote:I don't know about these particular ones, but sometimes pots pick up smells from the glue of the box.

from my experince most of time the box it come with or the wrappers will indeed make the pot smells a bit odd. However your teapot should be smell free after soaking in the water for about half of a day (even before you boil it).

May 13th, '09, 08:32

by chrl42 » May 13th, '09, 08:32

Zhuni doesn't really smell, that's one of characteristics of Zhuni.

From what I know, that Wang Jian Ying-made DHP pot is made from clay owned by Fan Yue Hong, descendant of famous potter Fan Da Sheng, one of members of Fan Jia Hu Zhuang family that is run by crafts-and-arts master Fan Wei Jun, who never makes a pot but only uses a stamp at the end.

Modern DHP clay is found between areas of Fudong and Xiao Mei Yao, I heard Fan Yue Hong DHP clay is one contained with iron red powder so fired at low temp, that could makes a pot unglossy or smell.

Huanglong mountain DHP clay is really heavy and dense, somewhat dark tone often shows black dots (iron) sparkling.

What does your lid in-and-out tell ya?

+ Post Reply