Oct 3rd, '08, 01:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Oct 3rd, '08, 01:45

When I drink alone (almost always), I much prefer matching the pot size to the cup size and avoiding the pitcher. When there's more than me, a pitcher can make it easier to make sure each person gets the same strength, etc., since the quality of a steep changes from the first drops out to the last drops. If I don't use the pitcher, I at least try to move back and forth to even out the character of each cup. There's some cool Chinese term for this like "General Kwan reviews his troops" or something.

Oct 3rd, '08, 01:54

Re: gong fu "pitch". what's the point of this?

by wyardley » Oct 3rd, '08, 01:54

Solodays wrote:whats the point of pouring tea to pitch then tea cups? what diff does it make if you just pour it straight from teapot to tea cup?
So that every cup gets the same strength tea... that's why it's called a gong dao bei ("fair(ness) cup").

If there are a small enough number of cups to move them all back in close before you pour, and if your kung fu is good, pouring straight into the cups is possible, and, in fact, preferable, but it's harder than it looks to get the same amount of equal strength tea in each cup. Try it sometime (with 6 or 8 cups) and see how it goes. The basic idea is to fill each cup about 1/4 (one after the other), and then go around and around quickly.

On a more practical level, pouring into each cup requires that your guests all finish before you start the next round. If people aren't into being super serious about it and are making pleasant conversation, one person not finishing their cup can really slow things down.

In most of the traditional methods I know of, the tea is poured straight into the cups. I think the fair cup / cha hai is a later development, though I don't know when and where it came about.

ps - I also often use the cha hai when I'm drinking alone with a pot that's larger than my tasting cups. Either that, or I brew two cups - one for me and one for the pot or my little water buffalo. It's also useful for letting your pot sit and drip out all the extra drops of tea before the next infusion.

Oct 3rd, '08, 02:13

by Pentox » Oct 3rd, '08, 02:13

Solodays wrote:same strength

HAHA! i bet you guys wouldnt be able to tell the diff pouring to a pitch or not.
You'd be surprised. I see this happen with my kyusu all the time. Normally I only pour one cup for my kyusu, but it's very easy to see the difference. Since you don't stir in the pot and if you don't mix it, tea brews at different strengths at different levels of the water. And then when you pour if you pour it into different cups down the line you'll be able to tell and sometimes even see the difference.

Oct 3rd, '08, 06:37

by olivierco » Oct 3rd, '08, 06:37

Pentox wrote:

HAHA! i bet you guys wouldnt be able to tell the diff pouring to a pitch or not.
You'd be surprised. I see this happen with my kyusu all the time. Normally I only pour one cup for my kyusu, but it's very easy to see the difference. Since you don't stir in the pot and if you don't mix it, tea brews at different strengths at different levels of the water. And then when you pour if you pour it into different cups down the line you'll be able to tell and sometimes even see the difference.
I agree (at least for japanese greens)

Oct 3rd, '08, 07:40
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Oct 3rd, '08, 07:40

The difference is actually quite remarkable. It's just a fact.

Oct 3rd, '08, 18:08

by Pentox » Oct 3rd, '08, 18:08

Solodays wrote:
el padre wrote:

If i blindfold you and have you taste the 2. Would you have the balls to bet $100?
In a proper setting, I would.

Oct 3rd, '08, 18:09

by edkrueger » Oct 3rd, '08, 18:09

Depends on the teas. With Sencha, Ripe Pu-erh, Black Tea I'd take the bet.

Oct 3rd, '08, 18:59
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Oct 3rd, '08, 18:59

Solodays wrote:
el padre wrote:

If i blindfold you and have you taste the 2. Would you have the balls to bet $100?
Bring it on.

I've made 2 bets for that amount in the last few years and won both. You ready to put your money on the table? Because I am.

Oct 3rd, '08, 22:08

Guess I'm gonna want my 100 bucks, too

by Space Samurai » Oct 3rd, '08, 22:08

Solodays wrote:If i blindfold you and have you taste the 2. Would you have the balls to bet $100?
First, lets look at the photographic evidence.

The cup on the left contains the first half of the pot, the cup on the right has the last half of the pot. There is a clear, discernable difference in the brew. The first half of the pot is clear, lighter, and has a bit of a golden hue. The second half is darker, greener, and kind of cloudy.

Taste. The difference isn't subtle. The first half tastes watery and weak, while the second half is astringent and harsh. It was two completely different tastes. No blindfold needed.

Of course when I mixed the two glasses together, I got a balanced and decent tasting tea.

You can hit me up on paypal when you get a chance.

Oct 5th, '08, 23:45

by andycr512 » Oct 5th, '08, 23:45

I even notice the difference when pouring black tea from a thermos that has set still for awhile. The top cup is water and the bottom cup is rocket fuel, unless I remember to shake it first.

Oct 6th, '08, 09:04

Re: Guess I'm gonna want my 100 bucks, too

by kymidwife » Oct 6th, '08, 09:04

Space... this makes me wanna bake you a cake. I am strangely titillated. :lol:
Space Samurai wrote:
Solodays wrote:If i blindfold you and have you taste the 2. Would you have the balls to bet $100?
First, lets look at the photographic evidence.

The cup on the left contains the first half of the pot, the cup on the right has the last half of the pot. There is a clear, discernable difference in the brew. The first half of the pot is clear, lighter, and has a bit of a golden hue. The second half is darker, greener, and kind of cloudy.

Taste. The difference isn't subtle. The first half tastes watery and weak, while the second half is astringent and harsh. It was two completely different tastes. No blindfold needed.

Of course when I mixed the two glasses together, I got a balanced and decent tasting tea.

You can hit me up on paypal when you get a chance.

Oct 6th, '08, 10:41

by scruffmcgruff » Oct 6th, '08, 10:41

Silly troll.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Oct 6th, '08, 11:13

by Chip » Oct 6th, '08, 11:13

scruffmcgruff wrote:Silly troll.
... who is no longer with us ... His worst posts are gone as well. However, his quote lives on. :roll:

I did a similar experiment also with Japanese green. I would take that bet anyday.

+ Post Reply