Oct 3rd, '08, 23:30

What do you want?

by andy825 » Oct 3rd, '08, 23:30

So you walk into a tea shop at the mall, a place that caters to average folks and tea newbies...

What would you like to see?
Are there any tea gift items you like to get at holiday time?
I am blatantly fishing here, I work in the tea shop in the mall and we're trying to decide on some new items to stock this holiday season and beyond.

Help a teasister out!

Oct 3rd, '08, 23:50

by Pentox » Oct 3rd, '08, 23:50

Hm, well I think that from this crowd your answer of what we would want to see is a bit different than what your normal client wants to see.

In a general sense, I would say something to convert the non-drinker into the world of tea. Things like the easy use teapots, teabag assortments, sampler sets. Prefrably in a nicely packaged way that you don't really have to wrap. For the lazy bachelor in me.

For the californian in me I would say something for conveience, travel brewers, travel mugs. Something that would let me infuse / stop infusing tea on the go. keep it warm.

For the teaddict in me i'd say something nice something fancy. Something you wouldn't normally get, but hey it's the holidays be nice treat yourself, treat a fellow teaddict, etc. Nice bone china cup or something like that.

Hope that helps.

Oct 4th, '08, 00:25

by andy825 » Oct 4th, '08, 00:25

Thanks for the response, Pentox.
We definitley specialize in inducting newbies into the world of tea. We don't sell any bagged teas (go us!) So we have lots of paraphenalia to make loose leaf tea brewing more convenient. We have lots of cast iron ware, bodum tea presses, and ceramic pots w/ infuser baskets, as well as an ingenui-tea type infuser. So we're covered on that front. We'll be adding some mid-range yixing wares soon, and definitley doing more in the world of sampler sets and prepacked gift boxes this year.
We're lacking in the on-the-go department, but we're working on that, so its good to know that you'd appreciate it!

Are there any specific fancy-pants tea gifts that you might be interested in?
We have lots of really lovely Koransha wares, super nice Japanese stuff, but most sets are $100 and up, so a little out of reach for most of our customers.
They do look pretty on the shelves, though. :wink:

Oct 4th, '08, 00:53

by Pentox » Oct 4th, '08, 00:53

Personally i'm hunting for a very nice chabako.

But in more general terms I think a cabinet/chest for tea storage would be a nice gift for people. Since most of us I imagine have rather unsightly piles of tea packets, a nice box to store them in would be good.

Nice tea caddies/tins are also good too.

Oct 4th, '08, 09:35

by tsverrir » Oct 4th, '08, 09:35

I would have converted to tea drinking a lot sooner if I could get a decently priced yixing pot or gaiwan at the supermarket.

Oct 4th, '08, 09:51

by olivierco » Oct 4th, '08, 09:51

Yes a gaiwan would be a good idea.

Oct 4th, '08, 10:21

by eanglin » Oct 4th, '08, 10:21

olivierco wrote:Yes a gaiwan would be a good idea.
With perhaps, a demonstration of how to use it.
For most tea newcomers, lidded cup /= teapot. Show them how simple it is to use, and how elegant it is for single person use, and I think you will sell many.

Tea tastes better when it is freshly brewed in small quanitites, one cup at a time.
Demo with a gaiwan or a small pot and let people taste what really good, properly made tea tastes like and I think a quality product will almost sell itself.

Oct 4th, '08, 10:46

by chamekke » Oct 4th, '08, 10:46

I agree, a small selection of gaiwan would be nice (along with some tasting cups). So many tea shops don't stock even a single basic gaiwan.

Also, if you stock yixing teapots, it's good to stock the simple traditional models as well as the decorative ones. My local tea shop's selection offers only highly decorated pots - overly large ones, too - that, while pretty to look at, are impractical to use.

Some really good tea storage containers couldn't hurt, too - e.g. the double-lidded variety often found in Japan - something that's super air-tight and doesn't allow in any light.

How about selling some yunomi?

Lastly, just an idea, how about selling some pre-cut silicone tubing as anti-drip protection for teapot spouts? A lot of kyusu (Japanese teapots) come with these already on them, but it would be handy for purchasers of other pots. It's the only anti-drip (and anti-chipping!) measure I've seen that really works well.

Oct 4th, '08, 13:24
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Oct 4th, '08, 13:24

Yup, gaiwans, glass teapots and yunomi would all get my attention.
As well as holiday coasters.

Oct 4th, '08, 17:22

by edkrueger » Oct 4th, '08, 17:22

eanglin wrote:
olivierco wrote:Yes a gaiwan would be a good idea.
With perhaps, a demonstration of how to use it.
That is no fun!

Oct 4th, '08, 20:07

by andy825 » Oct 4th, '08, 20:07

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm surprised that gaiwans made the list. I had considered it, but thought they might be intimidating for newbies. If we can find a good source we might try some.
I have definitely seen the shops that only have the larger, decorative yixing, and not the tiny ones. Partly I think that is due to the American tenet of "bigger is better". I can imagine a lot of customers having trouble wrapping their heads around doing multiple steeps in an itty bitty pot.
They shall be educated, though!

Thanks again for taking the time to make suggestions, and keep them coming!

Oct 4th, '08, 20:18

by wyardley » Oct 4th, '08, 20:18

andy825 wrote:Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm surprised that gaiwans made the list. I had considered it, but thought they might be intimidating for newbies. If we can find a good source we might try some.
I think education is the most important thing... if you educate people to want the right sorts of things, they'll want them. :>

It amazes me that people find gaiwans so confusing. It's really about as simple as it can get. It takes a little practice / finesse, but mostly people just need to be shown "what the hell do I use this for?"

Is it the shop on the second floor of the Paseo? If so, I think I've been there.

Oct 4th, '08, 21:43

by andy825 » Oct 4th, '08, 21:43

Yes, we're on the second floor by the PF Changs.
I think the issue with gaiwans at first is that there's nothing about it that says "teapot" to Americans. Its so unfamiliar, and so unlike the way that we are used to thinking about tea making.

Oct 5th, '08, 00:46

by Trioxin » Oct 5th, '08, 00:46

Another vote for some nice tins to store tea in. Maybe also some various spices that go well with tea would sell. Dried mint, vanilla, cardamom, ginger, clove, cinnamon, sage, etc...

It wouldn't hurt to also have some pu-erh cakes. Almost everyone I've introduced to pu-erh has loved it and even purchased some for themselves. The reason why its not popular in the US is that no one has heard of it, and hardly anyone carries it.

Oct 5th, '08, 01:07

by Pentox » Oct 5th, '08, 01:07

andy825 wrote:Yes, we're on the second floor by the PF Changs.
I think the issue with gaiwans at first is that there's nothing about it that says "teapot" to Americans. Its so unfamiliar, and so unlike the way that we are used to thinking about tea making.
The same could be said for a french press for coffee. It's not the std issue mr. coffee autodrip, so they're unfamiliar with it. But back during my coffee days I converted a lot of people over to french press. I think the same could be said for gaiwans. Having them would increase curiosity, and thereby conversation and education.

Also I was thinking some books on tea would be nice.

+ Post Reply