Nov 11th, '08, 00:34
Vendor Member

by TIM » Nov 11th, '08, 00:34

Salsero wrote:Lit from beneath, but just room light above? Really stunning photos, Tim, and entirely appropriate to the classic lines of this beautiful cup. Congratulations and thanx!
The lightbox beneath is the only source in the room, Sal. And a piece of paper on top to bounce back. Glad that you like it. T

Nov 11th, '08, 00:47
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Nov 11th, '08, 00:47

Bouncy bouncy. You are really a genius with images, dude. But as you say, they are your life! Thanks for sharing that life here.

I'll never forget your Magnum opus series of photos last May of your teapots. It really raised my level of understanding of yixing pots enormously.

Nov 11th, '08, 00:50

by Geekgirl » Nov 11th, '08, 00:50

Salsero wrote: Magnum opus series of photos last May of your teapots.
wow!

Nov 11th, '08, 00:54

by Salsero » Nov 11th, '08, 00:54

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: wow!
Indeed. Now you know why he gets excited about teapots.

Nov 11th, '08, 01:05

by Victoria » Nov 11th, '08, 01:05

Holy cow!! Gorgeous!

Nov 11th, '08, 13:42

by daughteroftheKing » Nov 11th, '08, 13:42

Here's my 2nd entry in the contest. This set is just for show and gets gentle treatment because the paint is thick (which creeps me out when trying to drink from it) and there are a few chips. But it's my fanciest and I had to show it here, too. :)

Handpainted, cobalt blue wave on edges and foot of cup with gold flourishes, pattern inside the cup is identical to the saucer, outside of cup has blue and pink flowers that don't really show here (poor photo skills!). No discernable maker's mark.

Nov 11th, '08, 15:19

by daughteroftheKing » Nov 11th, '08, 15:19

Victoria - You probably can't enter the competition since you're the impetus behind it, but I'd like to see your favorite English-style teacups anyway. Please share with us!
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Nov 11th, '08, 15:47

by Geekgirl » Nov 11th, '08, 15:47

doK, that is a very unusual piece. I haven't seen henley around here lately, but I'd love to hear her take on it. Lots of the more ornate china from the turn of the century are blanks that individual artist have painted, either in single or in series. You see a lot of them on ebay, and I have a couple in my personal collection. They are often very delicate, and really look handpainted, the paint might be rough and "bumpy."

This hobby was pretty popular in the 80s for a time too, with "china painting" shops springing up all over the place.

Very few of these pieces have specific marks on them, either completely without makers mark, or with just a signature, or else original porcelain company, but no information about pattern.

Fun stuff.

Nov 11th, '08, 16:20

by edkrueger » Nov 11th, '08, 16:20

daughteroftheKing wrote:Victoria - You probably can't enter the competition since you're the impetus behind it, but I'd like to see your favorite English-style teacups anyway. Please share with us!
The cool heart shaped one in her avatar must be one. Lets see some pictures.

Nov 11th, '08, 17:16

by daughteroftheKing » Nov 11th, '08, 17:16

Geekgirl - To make it even more unusual, if you look closely around the violets & leaves in that cup and saucer, you can see a very faint pink-peachy color where some of the paint is slowly starting to leech into the white paint.
No idea how old it is. Like so many of our "treasures", it was found at a local antique/consignment shop.

Nov 11th, '08, 17:30

by daughteroftheKing » Nov 11th, '08, 17:30

And finally, my 3rd entry.
Not as beautiful as my Royal Albert or Mikasa, but I couldn't NOT enter it. This is the cup I reach for when I need a bit of pampering - ever reliable Allerton, Pink Willow. (Technically it's Red Willow, but in person it looks a bit more pink.) Next to it in the photo are my sole pink willow plate and favorite Blue Willow teapot.

Fell in love with the Blue Willow pattern as a child when Mom would serve hot chocolate in blue willow mugs. For college graduation, my parents gave me a complete Blue Willow dinner service (& teapot!) with instructions that it was to be used every day ("Better to wear out than to rust out.")...29 years later it's still what I use every day. Over the years I've collected a number of odd pieces and recently have started thinning them out, but the Pink Willow cup and saucer remain ever dear to my heart.

Nov 11th, '08, 17:43

by Geekgirl » Nov 11th, '08, 17:43

I'd love a better look at the blue willow teapot. I've been eye'ing some black toile transferware, and have been noticing the blue willow. There's a beautiful set of authentic blue willow at one of the local antique stores, but the asking price is way out of my budget. :lol:

Nov 11th, '08, 22:50

by daughteroftheKing » Nov 11th, '08, 22:50

Geek - Gladly. I'll try to get a picture up tomorrow in a new teaware thread so we don't jack this one.

Nov 11th, '08, 23:02

by Carnelian » Nov 11th, '08, 23:02

Everyone's cups are just gorgeous, I'm sorry for whoever has to decide the winners
Life is like a cup of tea, savor it slowly or it will be gone too fast

Nov 11th, '08, 23:08

by Victoria » Nov 11th, '08, 23:08

Carnelian wrote:Everyone's cups are just gorgeous, I'm sorry for whoever has to decide the winners
I will be adding a poll and we all will be voting!!

It will be tough - no doubt!

+ Post Reply