Jan 2nd, '09, 16:02
Vendor Member

my new food/tea sealer

by gingkoseto » Jan 2nd, '09, 16:02

I got this for my tea, so I guess it counts as "tea accessory". I tried it on my snack bag (it seems that most users use it on food bags) and it works great :D

It makes a thinner line similar to the original seal of the snack bag.

I got mine in amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H6152-8-P ... _rhf_p_t_4

I had been looking for a sealer for a while. I don't like the supermarket foodsaver product, because the sealer only allows foodsaver brand bags. That's monoplay and more expensive. This one can be used for various kinds of bags, with choices of sealing time.

The main problem is it's rather bulky and industrial looking. I got the 8" size. I would rather have the 4" one. But the 4" one is only $5 cheaper than 8", and I thought, what if I need it for some large bag in future :D There are some smaller, hand holding type of sealers called "euro sealer" in amazon, for only about $10 each. But the customer feedbacks range from very good to very bad. So I chose this one.

Jan 2nd, '09, 17:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jan 2nd, '09, 17:02

I have actually been experimenting with the Reynolds Food Sealers you can buy at the supermarket. They do seal in their brand of ziplock type bags. What I have been doing is leaving the tea in the foil pouch it comes in, but leaving that open and inserting it in the zip bag and then removing the air. So they are reusable, but yeah you have to buy their bags.

Too soon to tell how it is really working, but it is air tight anyway.

Jan 2nd, '09, 17:54

Re: my new food/tea sealer

by Bubba_tea » Jan 2nd, '09, 17:54

gingko wrote:I don't like the supermarket foodsaver product, because the sealer only allows foodsaver brand bags. That's monoplay and more expensive. This one can be used for various kinds of bags, with choices of sealing time..
Actually, I've used my foodsaver to reseal potato chip bags, so not sure why it wouldn't work here either if you have one on hand already.

Jan 3rd, '09, 00:33

by wyardley » Jan 3rd, '09, 00:33

I have both a sealer similar to the one in the first post, and a food-saver type one from Sorbent Systems (sorbentsystems.com). The second one is a little tricky to work with sometimes, and can be tricky to get a good vacuum with some really small bags. But it isn't too bad for $100, and will work with many (but not all) types of bags.

Jan 3rd, '09, 00:52

by tenuki » Jan 3rd, '09, 00:52

wyardley wrote:I have both a sealer similar to the one in the first post, and a food-saver type one from Sorbent Systems (sorbentsystems.com). The second one is a little tricky to work with sometimes, and can be tricky to get a good vacuum with some really small bags. But it isn't too bad for $100, and will work with many (but not all) types of bags.
http://sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html

This one?
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jan 3rd, '09, 01:00

by Victoria » Jan 3rd, '09, 01:00

This is soooo much easier and convenient:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/food ... &HBX_PK=pi

Jan 3rd, '09, 02:15

by ABx » Jan 3rd, '09, 02:15

Victoria wrote:This is soooo much easier and convenient:

That's the same thing they're talking about above, but also that type of vacuum sealing in plastic is exactly what Shan Shui Teas uses to store their teas (which you reported were stale). Unfortunately plastic is oxygen permeable; so even though it sucks out the air, enough oxygen may still pass through to affect the tea.

Jan 3rd, '09, 02:40

by Victoria » Jan 3rd, '09, 02:40

ABx wrote:
Victoria wrote:This is soooo much easier and convenient:

That's the same thing they're talking about above, but also that type of vacuum sealing in plastic is exactly what Shan Shui Teas uses to store their teas (which you reported were stale). Unfortunately plastic is oxygen permeable; so even though it sucks out the air, enough oxygen may still pass through to affect the tea.
Well as I said my teas are "double bagged" so to speak, so there is no contact with the plastic. And the tea I got from Shan Shui came in a poly bag that had no vacuum seal. So I'm not sure I see your point.

I would not put tea loose in the plastic bag. And since I am basically using it to enclose an existing (foil) bag and then reseal that bag (which previously would have only just closed), I feel I'm going one step further by removing the air.

Jan 3rd, '09, 03:18

by ABx » Jan 3rd, '09, 03:18

Victoria wrote:Well as I said my teas are "double bagged" so to speak, so there is no contact with the plastic. And the tea I got from Shan Shui came in a poly bag that had no vacuum seal. So I'm not sure I see your point.

I would not put tea loose in the plastic bag. And since I am basically using it to enclose an existing (foil) bag and then reseal that bag (which previously would have only just closed), I feel I'm going one step further by removing the air.
I can see putting the mylar inside the plastic, as long as it's closed up tight.

I've debated the idea of getting a vacuum sealer, but I'm not sure that I get enough teas that would benefit from one to be worth it. A plain sealer like gingko got might be nice, though, particularly when sending tea to other people. I might have to check out the $10 ones; for that price I might be willing to risk it :)

As far as Shan Shui, he mentioned that he stores the tea vacuum sealed on his end. I'm sure he then puts them in the same bags but without vacuum sealing them when he sends it to you.

By the way, I apologize for the 'that's what they're talking about above,' for some reason it didn't register that those were your posts :oops: I'm not 100% tonight, for some reason.

Jan 3rd, '09, 15:11

by Smells_Familiar » Jan 3rd, '09, 15:11

i only seal with glass. i use a pump n seal which can be found at http://www.pump-n-seal.com/. it's cheap, lasts forever, easy, uses muscle energy (free), and is small. yes it's ugly...but it's practical and supposedly creates one hell of a vaccume compared to other vaccume sealer devices.
i have heard that it's not the best for sealing plastic bags though, i don't know, i only seal glass.

google it...

+ Post Reply