Feb 3rd, '09, 06:07

by Jack_teachat » Feb 3rd, '09, 06:07

A Japanese cast Iron Tetsubin, although I couldn't recommend any particular one, somebody should be able to link you to a good one.

Jack :D

EDIT: Whoops I didn't see that you'd already suggested a Tetsubin :oops: Still a good idea anyway I would say.

Feb 3rd, '09, 06:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Feb 3rd, '09, 06:08

A tetsubin seems like your only choice if you don't want glass or porcelain. You can't do all those in one clay pot, so tetsubin it is.

Good luck on your quest!

Feb 3rd, '09, 08:04

by joelbct » Feb 3rd, '09, 08:04

Well, I always recommend glass for multi-tea-type-use... sorry!

Feb 3rd, '09, 09:23

by thanks » Feb 3rd, '09, 09:23

joelbct wrote:Well, I always recommend glass for multi-tea-type-use... sorry!
+1

Feb 3rd, '09, 11:35
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 3rd, '09, 11:35

This is why there are so many teapot styles in the first place.

A tetsubin will include a basket for infusing, and generally TOOOO small at that.

I used to use my first ever kyusu for anything and everything. The denser clay ones will not readily absorb tea flavor, but better yet in your case, a glazed one would do it all for you.

Edited for spelling.... :roll:
Last edited by Chip on Feb 3rd, '09, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 3rd, '09, 14:55

by TokyoB » Feb 3rd, '09, 14:55

Chip wrote:This is why there are so many teapot styles in the first place.

A tetsubin will include a basket for infusing, and generally TOOOO small at that.

I used to use my first ever kyusu for anything and everything. The denser clay ones will not readily absorb tea flavor, but better yet in your case, a glazed one would do it all for you.
+1

That's what I use at work (glazed kyusu with metal strainer) for all types of tea.

Feb 3rd, '09, 15:25

by Pentox » Feb 3rd, '09, 15:25

I haven't seen a tetsubin with an internal filter so unless you're going to add a spout filter (which don't work well in my experience) you probably should go something clay (since that's about your only other option), well I guess plastic like an ingenuiTEA would work too, but I wouldn't suggest that.

I agree with chip that a glazed kyusu will probably be your best bet. Although I'm not sure about the 3dl size range though. I tend to favor much smaller ones.

Feb 3rd, '09, 15:56

by Beidao » Feb 3rd, '09, 15:56

Yeah, glazed clay should be good I think.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Feb 3rd, '09, 17:14

by JoeCha » Feb 3rd, '09, 17:14

When I brew at work I like the ease of cleanup that comes with the gaiwan. I have a small porcelain pot as well, but there is something to be said about the ease of access that a gaiwan (or even a tasting set) offers.

You just dump the leaves in the trash and wipe it out. There is no digging about, cleaning out filters, or en excessive need for water. There are no places for tea bits to hide, and grime is easy to spot.

If you really don't want to use porcelain or glass you can go with celadon (or any other type of glazed clay as mentioned above). I like the celadon gaiwans at the eBay store *Dragon Tea House*. The *Imperial Tea Court* site has one as well, and I don't think their "Passion Gaiwan" is porcelain. I would post links but this is only my second post on these forums.

-- Joe

p.s. My experience:

Presently I have tasting set and small absorbent towel at work. That's all I use. It only takes one paper towel (which I use repeatedly through out the day) and two ounces of water to clean. I poor the water in a plant after it cools.

I've struggled with tea at work for some time now. I've had yixing, tetsubins, porcelain pots, loose tea and bags, tea balls, and infusers...BUT, nothing has been as easy as my tasting set. Not even my favored gaiwans. This is the best tea experience I've had at work. For some reason I favor utility when at work, and this ease of use makes my tea time here much more serene.

Like I said though, this is my experience. I don't like huge mugs of tea. I don't have easy access to a sink. I only drink oolongs, greens, and larger leaf blacks at work. I'll take simple form and function over aesthetics, and I'll save my true rituals for when I'm at home.

Preparing tea is truly an artful expression of the interaction between function and love. Your space and your mind define the parameters, but you experience it with your heart. Do whatever it is that satisfies you.

Feb 3rd, '09, 17:35

by tenuki » Feb 3rd, '09, 17:35

Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Feb 3rd, '09, 17:45
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Feb 3rd, '09, 17:45

Tetsubin / iron kettles historically had a specific purpose: treat hard water that impaired the esthetic qualities of delicate green teas. Average hardness of *treated* public water supply/tap water is 60, moderately hard water.

Iron kettles help to reduce Fe/Mn through reductive properties of specially treated kettle interior, while pottery teaware tamed carbonate hardness that changed the solubility and volatility of flavor components.

Japan is the land of volcanoes; the eroding sediments carried by mountain rivers (Quaternary sediments) found in the many valleys and coastal plains has quite the dissolved mineral load.

There is a really good reason why black tea never caught on much in Japan. Didn't you ever wonder why they kept to green teas?

The modern lined teapots are more eye-kandy than multifunctional teapot, because they no longer serve their original purpose as hot water kettle.

A kyusu and/or gaiwan plus tasting set would be your best bet. A standard tetsubin would keep your tea hotter, but it's also going to be difficult to control infusion mechanics (shape/filter issue).

+ Post Reply