11 or more
3%
Infinity ... always room for one more
52%

Total votes: 159

Apr 22nd, '09, 13:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 22nd, '09, 13:50

Anyway, I picked out a golden glazed Hagi guinomi (sake cup) by Yamane Seigan to share with you all. It is a little wider than most guinomi at 3.2" in diameter, which is a nice size for tea.
The photos do not do this glazing justice ...
You can see the VERY rough sand clay here ... it is best described like sweet/sour Chinese sauce, rough yet smooth at the same time.
... and you can see the rough sand especially here in the base photo.
I liked it so much, that I considered this notched footed one that was recently sold. There is another one available however.

And last night, a glod glazed chawan was added. Oh no, not another chawan!!!!

(Eh hem, more to come!)
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 22nd, '09, 15:46

by olivierco » Apr 22nd, '09, 15:46

Chip wrote:So, are you planning on showing to us, Olivier? I am sure we would love to see it!
I prefer not to show pictures before actually receiving the item (They are on my photobucket album anyway and I haven't any password to prevent other to see :wink: ). It is on its way from Japan (SAL) so it should arrive in two weeks.

Apr 22nd, '09, 17:55

by woozl » Apr 22nd, '09, 17:55

Chip wrote:
(Eh hem, more to come!)
Well once Chip's house falls in upon itself from the weight of all that pottery, the market will stabilize, and us humble folks will be able to get some. :P
Or, at least rootaround in the ruins of the "Hagi black hole". :wink:
“Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone: “so I ca’n’t take more.”
“You mean you ca’n’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”

Apr 23rd, '09, 11:14

by chamekke » Apr 23rd, '09, 11:14

While we're waiting for Chip to reveal what it is he has purchased...

Here's a Hagi goat!

Apr 23rd, '09, 11:50

by Victoria » Apr 23rd, '09, 11:50

You've got Chip's goat??? :wink: :lol:

Apr 23rd, '09, 14:43

by woozl » Apr 23rd, '09, 14:43

MMMM cinnamon buns!!!! :D
Go great with tea :P

Apr 24th, '09, 20:53
Vendor Member

by TIM » Apr 24th, '09, 20:53

Find this new store in the neighborhood. Thoughts I should share with Hagi lovers.

http://themakari.com/ny/?page_id=241

Apr 25th, '09, 17:52

by Chip » Apr 25th, '09, 17:52

woozl wrote:MMMM cinnamon buns!!!! :D
Go great with tea :P
This style is commanding high prices pn auction every time right now. And for some reason,
one vendor is selling a new yunomi for 220 while they can be bought on auction for 60-80 on average.

Regardless, this seems pretty popular right now.
Last edited by Chip on Apr 25th, '09, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 25th, '09, 17:55

by Chip » Apr 25th, '09, 17:55

chamekke wrote:Here's a Hagi goat!
Well, I have not started buying up Hagi Animal Buns yet. Looks tasty!
TIM wrote:Find this new store in the neighborhood. Thoughts I should share with Hagi lovers.

http://themakari.com/ny/?page_id=241
Very interesting site, Tim. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Apr 25th, '09, 18:12
Vendor Member

by TIM » Apr 25th, '09, 18:12

Thanks Chip :D I am very lucky to walked in to this store by accident. They have some amazing hagi antiques, but mostly cater to sake drinking. Something interesting they have is sake tasting events, which they use 3 different cups from Antique hagi, new hagi and edo period cup to do the tasting. I am talking to them if they will do something similar but for tea tasting. Wish me luck :wink:

Apr 25th, '09, 18:40

Hagiyaki - the tea ceremony pottery

by robbie_olive » Apr 25th, '09, 18:40

Hi all,

As soon as I saw this topic, I immediately had to reply. To put it simply, I love Hagiyaki! In the world of Japanese pottery, it ranks second (the first being Rakuyaki) and for centuries has been traditionally associated with tea and tea ceremonies ("chado"). Hagiyaki is synonymous with tea and chado, and many Japanese consider its "wabi-sabi" nature extremely beautiful.

I lived in Western Japan for a few years in my early 20's, and it was there where I first discovered Hagiyaki. If you speak to any Japanese person who knows a bit about tea, and mention Hagiyaki, they will immediately what you're talking about. Yes, Hagiyaki can be expensive (having collected so many pieces), but they are something which will last a lilfetime.

In some cases, some tea ceremony wares can even be an investment, like the chawan, for example, for which I have about 20 in my collection so far, some of which cost thousands of dollars.

My favourite artists would have to be Kaneta Masanao and his father Kaneta Sanzaemon VI, who make very different styles of Hagiyaki, but equally just as beautiful. I do own a chawan by Kaneta Sanzaemon VI, and it is divine. It came with a "mei" (title) called "correct mind", which was blessed by a monk from the Tokoji temple in Hagi.

I can understand the frustration or concern some people may have about the "porosity" of Hagiyaki, but that is the nature of the clay, and so one must "cure" it 2-3 times before using it.

Furthermore, with more and more use, the "crackling" of the glaze will change over time, giving Hagiyaki its most prized feature. This phenomenon in Japanese is called "nana bake no hagi", which translates roughly as "The Seven Changes of Hagi", meaning that over its lifetime, Hagiyaki will develop many changes and characteristics.

I might post some pics of my Hagiyaki at a later stage.

Anyway, I just had put my two cents worth into this topic.
Thanks for reading! :)

Apr 26th, '09, 00:15

by chamekke » Apr 26th, '09, 00:15

Hi Robbie!

Thank you for posting. I indeed hope that you'll share photos of your Hagi pieces with us ... especially the chawan by Kaneta Sanzaemon :) Do you study Chadou as well?

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Apr 26th, '09, 08:36

by rjiwrth » Apr 26th, '09, 08:36

Hey fellow hagi lovers....is there a magazine (hard copy) about hagi? I know there are some basic pottery mags out there that are published every few months or so. Just wondering if there was something specific for hagi.

Thanks!
Rebecca

Apr 26th, '09, 13:32

by chamekke » Apr 26th, '09, 13:32

There are certainly books about hagi in Japanese - not so sure about magazines, but it couldn't hurt to do a search on Amazon.co.jp. (A quick search of "Japanese Books" turns up this list. There's also one English-language result, Hagi: Famous Ceramics in Japan (Famous Ceramics of Japan) - unavailable through Amazon itself, but the ISBN info is provided in case you want to do a search through a used books service such as ABEbooks.)

Failing that, you could always browse the archives of Ceramics Today - a superb source of information on all sorts of Japanese pottery types. They've got a series on Tokoname that's really good. Here are the search results for hagi on Ceramics Today if you're curious.

I also took a quick peek at Ceramics Monthly and found one short piece on Masanao Kaneta... not much else though.

Lastly, you might try doing a search on the tag Hagi on LibraryThing if you are looking for what other people already own.

And once again... I wish I could read Japanese {sigh}

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Apr 26th, '09, 17:13

by rjiwrth » Apr 26th, '09, 17:13

chamekke wrote:T

And once again... I wish I could read Japanese {sigh}
Chamekke, you are always so helpful and resourceful. Thank-you! I also wish I could read Japanese! My son is in his third year of Chinese and he helps me out with some of my Chinese endeavors...but I'm on my own for Japanese. I will check out all the rec's you posted and I surely appreciate your resourcefulness!

Rebecca

+ Post Reply