52%

Total votes: 159

Sep 13th, '14, 13:44

Re: The unofficial/official HAGI topic!

by Fuut » Sep 13th, '14, 13:44

Tead Off wrote:
Fuut wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
enzomatcha wrote:Not a big fan of Hagi, but 2-3 three of them is quite enough to share an authentic matcha experience with friends, I like to drink cold tea rather then hot (well living in asia you prefer every drink as cold as possible to fend of the daily hot weather).
As someone who lives in Asia, I rarely drink cold liquids. This is a western habit, introduced through mass marketing efforts by the likes of Pepsi and Coca Cola. Even in the deserts of North Africa and the Middle East, hot tea is the preferred drink. This is said to cool the body.
Seems like it could just as well apart from tradition be preference. Some time ago i read i think on the website of habiki-teas about cold matcha as well.
Don't you think there is more flavor and complexity in hot vs cold teas? Nothing wrong with cold tea, but it's not the same as hot tea to me.
Nono, its just that i disagreed with said statement that cold tea was somehow untraditional or introduced by CC. They must've drank cold drinks if they were also able to heat water for tea during those times.

Sep 19th, '14, 22:47
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Sep 19th, '14, 22:47

rdl wrote: So while I agree there are old, rich, beautiful traditions, that in no way defines drinking tea. Maybe to a tea master an electric kettle was shocking at first. Now, except in very formal settings, they are ubiquitous, Get ready for cappuccino makers, everyone is breaking the rules. :lol:

This is simply not true at all, In Japan the exception would be to see an electric kettle in a chado setting. I go to chaji's and chakai's every week, I also practice at the urasenke gakuen, and we DO not ever use electric kettles for our practices or our actual tea gatherings... I have never once been invited to a single chaji or chakai in Japan where I saw someone using an electric kettle, and these are not upper temae being preformed, usually just hakobe, so it is not formal at all. I use an electric furo in my dorm because it's hard to do sumi in here, but I wouldn't use it for a chaji in Japan. I know things are different in europe and america, but in Japan sumi is still used prominently for all tea gatherings.

Sep 20th, '14, 21:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by rdl » Sep 20th, '14, 21:37

blairswhitaker wrote:
rdl wrote: So while I agree there are old, rich, beautiful traditions, that in no way defines drinking tea. Maybe to a tea master an electric kettle was shocking at first. Now, except in very formal settings, they are ubiquitous, Get ready for cappuccino makers, everyone is breaking the rules. :lol:

This is simply not true at all, In Japan the exception would be to see an electric kettle in a chado setting. I go to chaji's and chakai's every week, I also practice at the urasenke gakuen, and we DO not ever use electric kettles for our practices or our actual tea gatherings... I have never once been invited to a single chaji or chakai in Japan where I saw someone using an electric kettle, and these are not upper temae being preformed, usually just hakobe, so it is not formal at all. I use an electric furo in my dorm because it's hard to do sumi in here, but I wouldn't use it for a chaji in Japan. I know things are different in europe and america, but in Japan sumi is still used prominently for all tea gatherings.
This is quibbling over the word formal, not the intent of what I wrote.
The "different in europe and america" comment has no bearing on my thoughts. I was referring to Japan. Not to be misunderstood, I didn't mean to imply tea masters use them (although students do in their dorm :D , and I appreciate the honesty as that is part of what I meant by ubiquitous) and I am fascinated by the traditional and more modern tea ceremonies in Japan. Nevertheless they don't create an "authentic" to the exclusion of other manners of tea drinking. As this is a discussion and not an argument, I am just providing my opinion.

Sep 20th, '14, 23:26

by Chip » Sep 20th, '14, 23:26

... eh hem ... nudge nudge ... HAGI! :wink:

Sep 21st, '14, 09:21

by Fuut » Sep 21st, '14, 09:21

Chip wrote:... eh hem ... nudge nudge ... HAGI! :wink:
Continue the Seigan sweetness! Got these on Friday:)
Attachments
782038390_o.jpg
782038390_o.jpg (38.45 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
780574075_o.jpg
Nearly completing a set of chawan, caddy in blue:)
780574075_o.jpg (35.83 KiB) Viewed 1280 times

Sep 21st, '14, 10:20

by Chip » Sep 21st, '14, 10:20

Sweet! Love the little "yohen blush".

Sep 21st, '14, 11:22

by debunix » Sep 21st, '14, 11:22

That is the perfect touch to such a lovely confection.

Sep 21st, '14, 12:41

by Fuut » Sep 21st, '14, 12:41

Chip wrote:Sweet! Love the little "yohen blush".
Yeah its why i tried to get it. A little touch like that makes it memorable:) And the Seigan blue yuzamashi, i couldn't stand not having it! And what do you know, its Sunday again :roll:

Oct 27th, '14, 00:07

by Hannah » Oct 27th, '14, 00:07

Awesome little ao-hagi pot which has become the workhorse for my office! (and 2 matching cups, the other one is at home so no photos sorry!)
Made by Noutomi Susumu! :mrgreen:

Chip, I believe you have a very close relative of this pot! :D

It would be awesome If I could find 2 cups half the size that match but could only find the massive cups that fit everything in one! Does anyone want to trade 2 smaller ones for one of these large ones? :lol:

Oct 27th, '14, 01:02

by debunix » Oct 27th, '14, 01:02

Subtle variations on a delicate theme--lovely pieces, regardless of size. And it's always nice to have a cup big enough to hold the whole pot when you find yourself brewing for one....

Oct 27th, '14, 08:57

by Chip » Oct 27th, '14, 08:57

Bu-tea-full! What size is the kyusu ... cup? AN often has the smaller version of the same cup ... which I bought along with the larger cup. I use the small cup all the time.

Looks like you have the lil sis to my kyusu. I would have liked to get it smaller.

Oct 27th, '14, 18:16

by Chip » Oct 27th, '14, 18:16

... since it is almost Halloween, I guess I should say BOO-tea-full. :mrgreen:

AN does have a paired set of the smaller size, same color. Though still not sure which size you have but am guessing it is the next size up?

Oct 27th, '14, 18:26

The unofficial/official HAGI topic!

by Pig Hog » Oct 27th, '14, 18:26

I've been trying to avoid more hagiyaki in favour of yakimono that I don't yet have in my collection. That said, with my eyes peeled for a new chawan, there are some lovely Hagi pieces up on eBay this week.

Oct 28th, '14, 00:50

by Hannah » Oct 28th, '14, 00:50

Chip wrote:... since it is almost Halloween, I guess I should say BOO-tea-full. :mrgreen:

AN does have a paired set of the smaller size, same color. Though still not sure which size you have but am guessing it is the next size up?
Thanks Chip! :D
The kyusu is 200ml (to the brim, about 120ml of tea once it's made)
and the cups are 120ml - same size apparently as the ones on AN
Would like little twin guinomi cups for it but I can only find individual ones.. No matter though, having the two large cups is still very handy :mrgreen:

Nov 12th, '14, 07:21

by Fuut » Nov 12th, '14, 07:21

Fuut wrote:An extremely cute, lovely vase by Seigan Yamane. Heavier than it looks but smaller than it appears. One of my favorite pieces from Seigan already. It really gives me a cozy feeling.
file.jpg
file.jpg (34.05 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
I got myself a big brother for the one above:)
795716005_o.jpg
795716005_o.jpg (33.72 KiB) Viewed 1065 times

+ Post Reply