2%
11 or more
3%
Infinity ... always room for one more
52%

Total votes: 159

May 18th, '09, 22:10

by Tead Off » May 18th, '09, 22:10

Chip wrote:I will be sharing something new and quite different in Hagi hopefully in the next few days, but speaking of different, though not completely new ...

This is a rather large teacup by Yamane Seigan. The size makes it multi purpose, could be used as a small matcha bowl as well. It is quite a bold piece and extremely striking.

The notched foot, very masculine, and finishes the bold impression of this cup.

It's incredibly fascinating to see all the cups and bowls tea drinkers have. The Japanese really took the ceramic arts to a different place.

For myself, color is so important in choosing teaware. Also, how a tea looks against a particular color is also a factor. So, I'm curious as to what you drink in your Seigan bowl that goes with the intensity of that blue.

May 18th, '09, 23:21
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 18th, '09, 23:21

Tead Off, nothing but Japanese green will ever touch this cup. Matcha looks incredible in Seigan blue! But mostly sencha!

I used to use only white cups for tea, and had an old glass 5-6 ounce mug at work. I guess I simply decided I like color in teaware as well. I still use a white cup more times than not, and especially the first few times I try a new tea, but a great cup can be another "color" besides white.

Sencha looks grand in blue, especially fukamushi. 8)
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 19th, '09, 06:23

by Tead Off » May 19th, '09, 06:23

I like color too and I especially like the Japanese aesthetic. So, in deference to you, I tried some tea in a blue glazed cup of similar shade, not exactly the same, but, not a light blue. The tea tasted just as good as if it were in a white porcelain cup. :lol: But, the beauty of the tea and its nuances were completely lost. :cry:

So, for myself, I think I have to separate the beauty of the teaware from the actual experience of the tea table and how all the pieces add to my overall experience. Tenmokku may be another glaze that never makes it to my table because of the dark color except for frothy matcha which might add to the textural experience. I'm sure I'm not alone with this choice of pairing teaware and tea, and, by your own admission, you still use white more times than not. I guess I'm a little tired of white and am beginning to think about color and what works for me.

May 19th, '09, 09:19

by chicagopotter » May 19th, '09, 09:19

Chip wrote:I will be sharing something new and quite different in Hagi hopefully in the next few days, but speaking of different, though not completely new ...

This is a rather large teacup by Yamane Seigan. The size makes it multi purpose, could be used as a small matcha bowl as well. It is quite a bold piece and extremely striking.

The notched foot, very masculine, and finishes the bold impression of this cup.

The glaze on this piece is s amazing. Such depth! The foot is also very unique. How does it feel in your hand?

May 19th, '09, 13:28

by Chip » May 19th, '09, 13:28

Chris, the foot is not sublime, it is assertive, but not overly so. It is well done and highlights this bold cup.

The edges are smooth, and it feels surprisingly comfortable in hand.

May 19th, '09, 22:20

by woozl » May 19th, '09, 22:20

Some "new" old hagi. :wink:

May 19th, '09, 23:11

by Chip » May 19th, '09, 23:11

Ha, saw that pair and conceded to you. :wink:

They are really different. I hope they serve thee well.

May 19th, '09, 23:18

by woozl » May 19th, '09, 23:18

But if ya' got 'em all we'd have none :cry:

Yeah,
Thea servin' some OC YM, sends you regards!!!
“Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone: “so I ca’n’t take more.”
“You mean you ca’n’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”

May 19th, '09, 23:29

by Chip » May 19th, '09, 23:29

woozl wrote:Yeah,
Thea servin' some OC YM, sends you regards!!!
Glad to see they got a good home!!!

May 19th, '09, 23:36

by woozl » May 19th, '09, 23:36

Didz I getz it right??

Ifn not feel free to do ....
“Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone: “so I ca’n’t take more.”
“You mean you ca’n’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”

May 19th, '09, 23:58

by Smells_Familiar » May 19th, '09, 23:58

This is a rather large teacup by Yamane Seigan. The size makes it multi purpose, could be used as a small matcha bowl as well. It is quite a bold piece and extremely striking. It is very impressive.

to me, this piece teases a sort of flow, with it's channels...some converging (or diverging), and challenges me to define the flow and where it comes from and where it's going. just me, first glance ramble...

and it is assertive chip, and VERY confident in it's imperfections (skillfully done). holding it's ground. nice find!

May 20th, '09, 11:35

by Chip » May 20th, '09, 11:35

Smells_Familiar wrote: to me, this piece teases a sort of flow, with it's channels...some converging (or diverging), and challenges me to define the flow and where it comes from and where it's going. just me, first glance ramble...

and it is assertive chip, and VERY confident in it's imperfections (skillfully done). holding it's ground. nice find!
I am glad it speaks to you SF!!! :D So, since I am showing some feet ... 2 more Yamane Seigan notched foot "small bowls or large cups." They cannot help but make an impression on me each time I see them. Not coy at all.

And the notched foot ... is that a smiley face inside the cup/bowl?

I may have shared this one somewhere else on the forum, but worth sharing again since we are talking about notched foot. Another Yamane Seigan.

May 20th, '09, 11:56

by iannon » May 20th, '09, 11:56

man i really like those last two..what volume do they hold? i have yet to catch one like that anywhere

May 20th, '09, 12:15

by Chip » May 20th, '09, 12:15

All three I have just posted have shown up once and never a duplicate replacement.

I have never measured the volume, guess I will have to, but I would guess 8 ounces. Big Yunome, small Chawan.

May 25th, '09, 12:06

by Victoria » May 25th, '09, 12:06

My newest Hagi from Artistic Nippon:

It is very thin and light and completely different than any other Hagi
ware I own. I love the shape, the slight wavy topline and the nautilus swirl.
It is even better in person that I thought it would be.

I think my pics are making it appear larger than it is:
Approx. Size: diameter 4"(10.4cm); height 2.3" (6cm)
Vol. approx. 200 ml (6.3 oz)* up to the rim

+ Post Reply