Oct 13th, '08, 15:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 13th, '08, 15:13

Mr. T, no problem. Unfortunately there are many spammers who would take advantage of the forum for their own gain and post self promoting links. It is hard to discern which are and are not. So, we have a rule for all new members.

Please enjoy the forum, and I am looking forward to reading your future contributions.

Be sure to visit TeaDay and share what is in your cup!!!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Oct 13th, '08, 15:45

by UncleIroh » Oct 13th, '08, 15:45

my little altar to the matcha gods. and hey, i managed to post it without undue trauma or confusion, which represents a personal victory for me. :D

the tetsubin was the first teapot i ever bought for myself. the red bead is actually a magnet on a chain, to which i used to attach teabags so i could pull them back out after steeping and have a big pot of tea to drink over a bit of time. although i only use it for water these days (the cast iron keeps it hot just long enough to make two or three bowls of matcha), i still like the way the bead catches the light, so there it stays.

the natsume is my only authentic antique, dating back to the 1930s. it's largely ornamental, as it isn't airtight and won't keep tea fresh for long. but i love it still.

the Daruma netsuke and tea miniatures were gifts from my girlfriend.

this is my first attempt at posting a teaware cheesecake pic (or at taking one!) so please be kind!
~sean

Oct 13th, '08, 16:19
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 13th, '08, 16:19

Victoria wrote:I don't think it's your pic size, the link is just reallllllly long and seems to be making TC hang up.
Oh! Thanks. I will try again later with some shorter link then. :D
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Oct 13th, '08, 16:23

by Victoria » Oct 13th, '08, 16:23

UncleIroh wrote:Image

my little altar to the matcha gods. and hey, i managed to post it without undue trauma or confusion, which represents a personal victory for me. :D

the tetsubin was the first teapot i ever bought for myself. the red bead is actually a magnet on a chain, to which i used to attach teabags so i could pull them back out after steeping and have a big pot of tea to drink over a bit of time. although i only use it for water these days (the cast iron keeps it hot just long enough to make two or three bowls of matcha), i still like the way the bead catches the light, so there it stays.

the natsume is my only authentic antique, dating back to the 1930s. it's largely ornamental, as it isn't airtight and won't keep tea fresh for long. but i love it still.

the Daruma netsuke and tea miniatures were gifts from my girlfriend.

this is my first attempt at posting a teaware cheesecake pic (or at taking one!) so please be kind!
~sean
Congrats on your first pic, well done!! Very nice set up!
Can you post bigger?
:twisted:

Oct 13th, '08, 16:27

by chamekke » Oct 13th, '08, 16:27

UncleIroh wrote:the tetsubin was the first teapot i ever bought for myself. the red bead is actually a magnet on a chain, to which i used to attach teabags so i could pull them back out after steeping and have a big pot of tea to drink over a bit of time. although i only use it for water these days (the cast iron keeps it hot just long enough to make two or three bowls of matcha), i still like the way the bead catches the light, so there it stays.
What a great idea! And your bead does look very dazzling. Thanks for sharing its story.
UncleIroh wrote:the natsume is my only authentic antique, dating back to the 1930s. it's largely ornamental, as it isn't airtight and won't keep tea fresh for long. but i love it still.
Natsume-s aren't really intended to be airtight, so please be assured that there is nothing wrong with yours.

In tea ceremony, the natsume is really intended as a sort of attractive serving dish from which the matcha is spooned prior to making the matcha. So the matcha is put into the (hitherto empty) natsume just before the tea event. Back in the mizuya or kitchen/anteroom, once the guest has gone, the host will immediately clean out the natsume, returning any remaining matcha to its original tin. So the "natural state" of a natsume is empty :wink:

P.S. I second the request for a bigger pic - or maybe some photos of your individual pieces. Your photo has only whetted our appetite!

Oct 13th, '08, 16:33

by Salsero » Oct 13th, '08, 16:33

UncleIroh wrote: Image
Dutch master c. 1655?

Photobucket will resize it for you if you like.

Oct 13th, '08, 16:44

by Shelob » Oct 13th, '08, 16:44

If I read her text correctly, I believe Victoria was referring to the font size, not the picture :twisted:

Which by the way is way cool and well done for your first try!

:lol: Maybe she needs reading glasses??? :lol: Only kidding Victoria... I think!

And all this coming from a NEWBIE who still can't use that darn quote button even
though at least 3 of you have tried to give me assistance. I just totally gave up, and I'll do it my way!!

Oct 13th, '08, 16:53
Vendor Member

by TIM » Oct 13th, '08, 16:53

Salsero wrote:
Dutch master c. 1655?

Photobucket will resize it for you if you like.

Looks like one of my all times favorite photographer's work! What a beauty : )

Oct 13th, '08, 17:00

by Victoria » Oct 13th, '08, 17:00

Wow, TIM, beautiful, it does look similar!

Do you have a link to the full size pic on the right? I would love that as wallpaper!

Oct 13th, '08, 17:05
Vendor Member

by TIM » Oct 13th, '08, 17:05

Victoria wrote:Wow, TIM, beautiful, it does look similar!

Do you have a link to the full size pic on the right? I would love that as wallpaper!
These are Gentl & Hyers works:

http://www.edgereps.com/main.html

Under Still Life section. Enjoy

Oct 13th, '08, 17:34

by Victoria » Oct 13th, '08, 17:34

Wow, beautiful thanks!

Oct 13th, '08, 18:06

by UncleIroh » Oct 13th, '08, 18:06

thank you all for your replies. this is one of my favorite threads on this board, and it's both nice and slightly surreal to see my stuff included here. i will definitely post bigger in the future. this was my first photobucket experiment--i'm still getting my sealegs. but i do have many many more tea treasures, and i plan to photograph them all in time...

chamekke-- thanks for the natsume info. its my one little link to the actual, traditional practice of chado. i won't feel bad that it sits empty most of the time!

sal-- thank you for assuming the backdrop was a stylistic choice. it was actually just easier to drape a sheet over the back of a chair than to straighten up the part of the room that otherwise would've shown in the background!

victoria-- thanks again for the posting advice. i hope i'll be able to bring you all prettier pics in the near future...

~sean

Oct 13th, '08, 18:23

by Victoria » Oct 13th, '08, 18:23

Looking forward to that UncleIroh - Today's was already a beauty!!

Since the topic of Raku has come up, I thought I would show off my new Raku teabowl:

Oct 13th, '08, 18:46

by Salsero » Oct 13th, '08, 18:46

UncleIroh wrote: it was actually just easier to drape a sheet over the back of a chair than to straighten up the part of the room that otherwise would've shown in the background!
Those were Rembrandt's exact words!

Oct 13th, '08, 19:01

by Geekgirl » Oct 13th, '08, 19:01

Wow! *eyes popping* Absolutely lovely still life. I'm very impressed.

And Holy Carp! Victoria, I must know:
Victoria wrote:
Where, where where!!!!???? That's one of the prettiest Raku bowls I've seen!