Sep 28th, '08, 20:17

by edkrueger » Sep 28th, '08, 20:17

Nice. For those who don't know, that is from Molo Design.

Sep 28th, '08, 20:26

by PolyhymnianMuse » Sep 28th, '08, 20:26

I would love to see that thing lit up and night :)
It must look amazing.

Sep 28th, '08, 20:55

by Pentox » Sep 28th, '08, 20:55

Oh my, so you finally got one. Looks pretty cool though.

Sep 28th, '08, 22:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Sep 28th, '08, 22:50

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:I would love to see that thing lit up and night :)
It must look amazing.
I am admittedly a poor photographer and even worse at night shots
but I gave it a try. By the way it holds about 16oz of tea and comes
with a glass infuser basket. I'll put this whole thing in the fridge when
it cools down and save this second steep for iced tea tomorrow.

Thanks all for your comments and sharing my enthusiasm!

Sep 29th, '08, 02:44

by inspectoring » Sep 29th, '08, 02:44

congratulations..it truly is amazing....I had been eyeing it for such a long time......you will enjoy it for a very long time...

Sep 29th, '08, 23:08

by Maitre_Tea » Sep 29th, '08, 23:08

Lachlan wrote:Bizen cup/teapot
Wow, it looks really rustic and down-to-earth? Where did you unearth such a treasure?

Sep 29th, '08, 23:36

by Bubba_tea » Sep 29th, '08, 23:36

scruffmcgruff wrote:
chamekke wrote:Thank you Salsero and Victoria! (You may be seeing more badgers...)

:twisted:
Now, Mr. Scruffy - do you use that razor?? I have the same one (Merkur I think??). I also have my late Grandpa's gillette metal razor in that kind of design from the old days.. but my electric is a little faster / easier on bumps on my face!

Sep 29th, '08, 23:44

by scruffmcgruff » Sep 29th, '08, 23:44

Bubba_tea wrote:Now, Mr. Scruffy - do you use that razor?? I have the same one (Merkur I think??). I also have my late Grandpa's gillette metal razor in that kind of design from the old days.. but my electric is a little faster / easier on bumps on my face!
I use that one sometimes, but I usually reach for my Merkur Slant. Electric might be faster, but won't ever be as close. :)
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Sep 30th, '08, 00:23

by Salsero » Sep 30th, '08, 00:23

Lachlan wrote: Bizen cup/teapot
Very cool.

The teapot has no handle? Is it more hohin than kyuusu? Are those coasters they are sitting on?

I for one would like to see some tea in that cup! Get brewin'.

Sep 30th, '08, 03:45

by inspectoring » Sep 30th, '08, 03:45

scruffmcgruff wrote:
Bubba_tea wrote:Now, Mr. Scruffy - do you use that razor?? I have the same one (Merkur I think??). I also have my late Grandpa's gillette metal razor in that kind of design from the old days.. but my electric is a little faster / easier on bumps on my face!
I use that one sometimes, but I usually reach for my Merkur Slant. Electric might be faster, but won't ever be as close. :)
Agreed. I tried all the high end electric razors on the market. And I then I went back to Mach 5 but still felt that something was missing - untill - I came across - the art of shaving kit with a pre shave oil + badger brush.

It is amazing how close of a shave one can get with these. And I feel that my skin is healthier than ever.

Sep 30th, '08, 12:32

by Pentox » Sep 30th, '08, 12:32

Lachlan wrote:Daikoku by Shiki is the store in Japantown, San Francisco, where I bought them. They have a whole section of the store of Bizen pottery (vases, sake sets, tea, etc).
Aha! I knew it was them. The only other thought I might have had was from Genji, but I thought that would be doubtful.

Oct 1st, '08, 08:56
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 1st, '08, 08:56

chamekke wrote:
Victoria wrote:Wow, beautiful! That was really nice of Hou de!
Last week, at the infamous consignment shop, I actually found what I now suppose may be a gaiwan (not the ruffly kind) with the ridged type of pouring spout. At the time, I thought it was an inexpensive gyokuro-style houhin, except that the knob on the lid doesn't look right for that. However, there are so many styles of houhin and kyuusu that I couldn't be sure. On the other hand, the stamp on the bottom gives me the impression that it is Chinese.

Wow! This is so cute!! And from a consignment shop?? Now I think I should seriously consider finding some consignment shops in my area, the yard sale of the mass, as you said, they seem wonderful!

I don't even know if we have nice consignment shops around. The only ones I went to are salvation army (not much stuff there) and a shop where I sold my jeans for $4 each (they seem to only carry women outfits). Are your consignment shops more of the boutique town center style?

By the way, the photos are nice and clear enough to show the good quality of the cup. The broken ice porcelain, I like it very much. I got some tea ware in similar material recently, but from your photo I can tell your consigned one has better quality than my newly bought one! :wink:

Oct 1st, '08, 11:12

by chamekke » Oct 1st, '08, 11:12

gingko wrote:I don't even know if we have nice consignment shops around. The only ones I went to are salvation army (not much stuff there) and a shop where I sold my jeans for $4 each (they seem to only carry women outfits). Are your consignment shops more of the boutique town center style?
The one where I've discovered most of my "finds" is not especially fancy; it's a neighbourhood consignment shop that has the feel of a well-organized yard sale. Tons of brass knick-knacks, yards of china cup-and-saucer sets, used toasters and other small appliances, that kind of thing. But the occasional Japanese gem does make an appearance, as well as some nice pieces by B.C. potters such as Wayne Ngan. Once I found a tenmoku chawan of his that was tucked away with the "other" planters:

Thing is, I live on the west coast, so Asian pieces are likelier to turn up in charity and consignment shops. One item I see frequently is furoshiki, a Japanese squareish cloth that is used for wrapping gifts and also as a kind of carrying bag for bento boxes; it's meant to be reusable. I think that Japanese visitors to my city frequently give these as gifts, but because the dimensions aren't quite right for a scarf, the puzzled recipient eventually shrugs and donates the thing to a charity shop! I love furoshiki, collect them, and use them frequently for all sorts of things (my family now uses them exclusively as holiday giftwrap).