Oct 13th, '08, 19:23

by chamekke » Oct 13th, '08, 19:23

Seconded. Victoria, that's a beautiful bowl. Was it a local find, or...?

And Sean, looks like you and I have the same tea miniature set! Except that yours has Hotei sitting next to it. (Mine has two bears - a Zuni black-marble "fetish" with turquoise eyes, and a vintage black plastic bear of unknown provenance. Just 'cause everyone knows that bears love tea.)

Oct 13th, '08, 21:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Oct 13th, '08, 21:34

It is an Etsy potter - Ericka from ElmStudios - And it is amazing, yes. I had to have it even if I could not use it for tea. Now of course, I do.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5162086

Oct 13th, '08, 22:01

by chamekke » Oct 13th, '08, 22:01

Edited to remove foot from mouth :oops:

Oct 13th, '08, 22:17

by Victoria » Oct 13th, '08, 22:17

Well I did have concerns - I posted in the Raku thread her dialog with me and her research on the subject. As she stated she uses lead free glazes and the other concerns as the effect on the vessel are outlined there. After much correspondence and many thoughtful emails, she took the added precaution of glazing the teabowl for me with a food safe glaze.

You are correct, the other bowls on her site have not been treated in this way. It would be a special request. But the buyer, if from this board, may not feel it is necessary, if they read all the info on the Raku thread.

In retrospect, I would not have had it done. At that time I did not know about cold soaking, or about tea's non-acidic nature and raku.

Oct 13th, '08, 22:41

by chamekke » Oct 13th, '08, 22:41

Victoria wrote:In retrospect, I would not have had it done. At that time I did not know about cold soaking, or about tea's non-acidic nature and raku.
Ooh. But the cold soaking / tea not being acidic question is in relation to Japanese raku. I am not convinced that it applies to American raku, whose formula is very different.

To quote the Tea Toys facts page:
Tea Toys wrote:Real Raku, made by the family of Raku Kichizaemon and his 14 generations of ancestors in Kyoto and the 11 generations of Ouhi Chozaemon's family of Kanazawa is very different from the low temperature, pit-fired and dipped in all kinds of oily stuff that is called "raku" in the West.
Which still doesn't say what American raku glazes contain, of course :? (The Tea Toys site is concerned mainly with Japanese wares.)

Anyhow, I've convo-ed an Etsy seller from whom I once bought a ("non food safe") American raku bowl, to ask her if she can shed any more specific light on the question. If/when I find out, I'll post an answer on the raku thread. 'Til then, I'm gonna hold my tongue on the topic of safety, and just say that I think your new tea bowl is gorgeous!!!

Oct 13th, '08, 22:54

by Victoria » Oct 13th, '08, 22:54

Thanks! And I'm sorry I did not see you removed your post till after I posted, I have been having IE problems all day.

I have complete trust in my ebay seller that all materials she uses are safe.
Considering my mom smoked and drank and took asprin while pregnant, and all the lead paint, asbestos, tobacco and smoke, poly carbs, and other health scares that I have been exposed to most of my life, I'm not that worried. I am careful but not fanatic.

Oct 14th, '08, 03:24

by inspectoring » Oct 14th, '08, 03:24

Victoria wrote:It is an Etsy potter - Ericka from ElmStudios - And it is amazing, yes. I had to have it even if I could not use it for tea. Now of course, I do.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5162086
I just went to buy it....unfortunately she states that the cup is not foodsafe. Interestingly - she also states that all Raku is not food safe? :shock:

Oct 14th, '08, 09:43

by Victoria » Oct 14th, '08, 09:43

Did you read the thread called Raku Lead Glaze Concern?
There I posted part of my conversation with her along with her
extensive reply. From what I have read so far from her and what
others have posted, I would not have any worry buying her cups as they are.

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?t=6583

Oct 14th, '08, 11:03

by chamekke » Oct 14th, '08, 11:03

Victoria, I appreciate that the piece you received from this potter has been specially glazed internally and that you feel this one is OK for you to drink from (= you feel the risk is minimal).

I just want to caution people (who may leap to conclusions otherwise) that this is still a far cry from saying that all American, i.e. western-style, raku is food safe.

When I read discussions like these on the clayart forum (raku and varnish? and raku glaze questions), I become concerned because it does indeed appear that the majority (probably vast majority) of American raku pieces are not food safe, i.e. there are toxic components in many if not most raku glazes.

Indeed it also looks as though there are some potters who take extra steps to ensure that their raku is food safe (and Victoria, it looks as though your potter was quoting this clayart posting in her reply), but given that I've seen the "not food safe" warning alongside every other raku piece I've ever seen, I think they must be in the minority.

In other words - I think people should still exercise great caution about drinking or eating from American raku pieces.

P.S. For those who are interested in reading the pottery world's to-and-fro on this one, check out all the raku-related threads on the clayart archive.

Oct 14th, '08, 12:06

by Victoria » Oct 14th, '08, 12:06

I appreciate your concern and I agree people should be careful. If you will check my posts I believe I have stated numerous times that I am referring to this potter only. Definitely do your research people, if you intend to take the risk.

Oct 14th, '08, 20:37

by t4texas » Oct 14th, '08, 20:37

scruffmcgruff wrote:Good finds, t4texas, thanks for posting those links (not that I'm in the market, just sayin'). The first one looks like it might even have a good pour speed. The last one, on the other hand... heh.
You were right. The first linked pot dumps its 125 ml in 9 seconds. Not too bad for a $12 - $15 pot. I am sure it's the same as mine - made on a wheel and may be dipped, too - it's a little too shiny for me, but nice classic proportions. The surface is so dense I don't think it will absorb much tea, or it will take a long time, but I used it today to brew some sheng gongfu style and got about 12 infusions. I gave out before it did. I may try giving it a three day soak to see if it will absorb more tea.

Oct 16th, '08, 17:36

by heavydoom » Oct 16th, '08, 17:36

a new tiny pot i just obtained, apparently made in 2000, pot came with a photo of the maker, a real photo, i checked the back of it, kodak, a pretty real stamp, i felt for the relief, it was there, and the card was properly signed with ink, it smudged.

note the square bottom as opposed the general round shape of the pot. a not so common thing :

this guy must be 80 ml or less, have not measured the volume yet. plan to drink a very expensive tky with this, perfect for a lonesome tea drinker that i am.

Oct 16th, '08, 17:57

by Salsero » Oct 16th, '08, 17:57

heavydoom wrote: a new tiny pot i just obtained
It's a real beauty. You realize of course that we all have to know right now where you got it. It's amazing how often those tiny pots come in handy!

Oct 16th, '08, 18:02

by Maitre_Tea » Oct 16th, '08, 18:02

Salsero wrote:
It's a real beauty. You realize of course that we all have to know right now where you got it. It's amazing how often those tiny pots come in handy!
Yes, especially for those looking for small yixing teapots (me)

Oct 16th, '08, 18:05

by heavydoom » Oct 16th, '08, 18:05

Salsero wrote:

got this from my local yi xing seller here in the outskirts of toronto. the dude uses nothing but small yi xing pots. whenever i come to his store, we sit down, sip on some tky and start to talk about the good old days......

he has another one by the same maker but he put it aside for another tea nut like us. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: