How do you hold your Kyusu? See OP photo.

9%
57%
14%
13%
Other
8%

Total votes: 79

Apr 23rd, '09, 23:04

by auggy » Apr 23rd, '09, 23:04

#2 usually but #4 when my hands aren't feeling steady or I've been used to using my glass tea pot.

I never would have thought that #1 would be an option. It seems awkward. Which means I'm going to try it out next time I use my kyusu (which will be tomorrow since I'm resteeping some milk oolong currently.)

Apr 24th, '09, 00:32

by Odinsfury » Apr 24th, '09, 00:32

#4... I have small hands and there's no way I could keep the lid on one handed.

Apr 24th, '09, 01:00

by Cinnamon Kitty » Apr 24th, '09, 01:00

#2 with my thumb on the knob on the lid if it reaches comfortably, else holding the lid itself with my thumb if the knob happens to be out of reach.

Apr 24th, '09, 01:21

by twinofmunin » Apr 24th, '09, 01:21

The kyusu I have is relatively small, so I use something like #2, except that the fingers I have wrapped around the handle are my middle and ring fingers... I'm not sure where my index finger goes. I also put my thumb on the knob.
hugin

Apr 24th, '09, 01:38

by Oni » Apr 24th, '09, 01:38

I use picture nr. 2, and if the kyusu is small enoush I put my thumb on the knob so it will definitely not burn my finger, I think the knob was invented for this pourpouse.

Apr 24th, '09, 11:16

by chamekke » Apr 24th, '09, 11:16

I had to think about this one! I almost always use #3.

P.S. Lefties do it with the other hand :wink:

Apr 24th, '09, 11:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 24th, '09, 11:50

chamekke wrote:I had to think about this one! I almost always use #3.
Interesting, must be a north of the border thing. :wink: I seem to find 3 the most difficult.

I forgot about these photos. I have this Momiji, got it from Toru of A.N. After I received it, I mentioned to him that the handle is very short for my hands. In typical Toru fashion, he got another exact pot out of a box, acknowledged the shortness of the handle, and took some action shots with my kyusu.

Looking at the photos, I think it is safe to say Toru is a guy.
:D
#1 Image

#3Image

Apr 24th, '09, 12:02

by chamekke » Apr 24th, '09, 12:02

I have a vague memory that my (matcha) tea sensei once told me it's more correct to hold a kyuusu using the two-handed approach, with one hand gripping the handle while the other holds the lid in place.

On the other hand, it could be a hallucination brought on by drinking too much tea :P

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Apr 24th, '09, 13:45

by Chip » Apr 24th, '09, 13:45

chamekke wrote:I have a vague memory that my (matcha) tea sensei once told me it's more correct to hold a kyuusu using the two-handed approach, with one hand gripping the handle while the other holds the lid in place.

On the other hand, it could be a hallucination brought on by drinking too much tea :P
Given the efficiency of the Japanese, I suspect you were hallucinating! :lol:

I mean think of all the things you could be doing with your free hand while pouring. Cooking supper, doing a report, ironing... :wink: Actually, I found out the hard way, you still need to focus when pouring with one hand, no multi tasking. I have 2 chipped spouts, no make that 3, as a result of minor bumps while not paying complete attention to pouring. Clay tips chip easily it seems.

I guess there is "proper" and there is "common practice" which could be in conflict. I don't care as long as everyone is aligning the hole with the spout!!!!!!!! That's the important thing. :idea: :lol:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 24th, '09, 19:14

by chamekke » Apr 24th, '09, 19:14

Chip wrote:
chamekke wrote:I have a vague memory that my (matcha) tea sensei once told me it's more correct to hold a kyuusu using the two-handed approach, with one hand gripping the handle while the other holds the lid in place.

Given the efficiency of the Japanese, I suspect you were hallucinating! :lol:

I mean think of all the things you could be doing with your free hand while pouring. Cooking supper, doing a report, ironing... :wink: Actually, I found out the hard way, you still need to focus when pouring with one hand, no multi tasking. I have 2 chipped spouts, no make that 3, as a result of minor bumps while not paying complete attention to pouring. Clay tips chip easily it seems.
"When using your right hand, your attention should also be on the left hand." - Rikyu :)

I think the reason behind the advice (assuming that it wasn't my own imagination talking) was that it's harder to be careless when you're focusing on using both hands simultaneously to pour. Therefore, it's less likely that the lid will fall off accidentally and break, that you'll chip the spout (or drinking vessel!), and so forth.

The Japanese are efficient, but they seldom multi-task when doing this kind of thing. All attention is supposed to be on the one thing you're doing. Maybe it's the Zen influence ... or maybe it's just the Japanese fixation on doing things the prescribed way. Or both :wink:

Apr 24th, '09, 21:22

by Proinsias » Apr 24th, '09, 21:22

Never whistle while you're pissing, just to lower the tone.

I tend to go for #2 with my thumb on the knob, sometimes I got for the two handed approach.

Apr 24th, '09, 22:23

by DoctorD » Apr 24th, '09, 22:23

Mine is the perfect size and shape for #2. It would feel weird to do it any other way.

Apr 24th, '09, 22:34

by chamekke » Apr 24th, '09, 22:34

Proinsias wrote:Never whistle while you're pissing, just to lower the tone.
:lol:

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Apr 24th, '09, 23:16

by murrius » Apr 24th, '09, 23:16

#2 with my thumb on the lid knob. After seeing all the alternatives I think that I must branch out a little. #1 obviously isn't for the faint of heart.

Apr 25th, '09, 01:15

by Salsero » Apr 25th, '09, 01:15

#1 since I normally use pretty tiny kyuusu. With larger ones, I think I use #2 and if no one is looking I might even slip into a two-handed pour.

+ Post Reply