what would jane austen drink?
Posted: May 22nd, '08, 17:10
I'm in need of expert advice on a tea blend appropriate for Jane Austen-ites.
I'm catering a luncheon for 40 members of the Jane Austen Society on June 1.
The menu is Georgean/Regency: the theme is Northanger Abbey, and the menu is appropriate to 1798, as served by General Tilney (who is very proud of his pinery, orchards, state-of-the-art kitchen appliances (like a Rumford stove), latest plants, etc.)
I understand that ladies of the time would serve a blend of black (bohea) and green (hyson) China teas.
I'd like to put together a blend of teas similar to what an upper-crust but not extremely wealthy English lady would serve around 1800. (we're not a very wealthy group ourselves.) Maybe Dragon Well and a WuYi Oolong?
I'm also concerned about how long to brew it, as black teas seem to need a longer brewing than green teas.
I also understand that drinking cream/milk with tea is not appropriate unless it is a very strong Assam. What about lemon and sugar?
Any advice on appropriate blends, and where to buy the tea (I'm in San Francisco) would be greatly appreciated.
I'm catering a luncheon for 40 members of the Jane Austen Society on June 1.
The menu is Georgean/Regency: the theme is Northanger Abbey, and the menu is appropriate to 1798, as served by General Tilney (who is very proud of his pinery, orchards, state-of-the-art kitchen appliances (like a Rumford stove), latest plants, etc.)
I understand that ladies of the time would serve a blend of black (bohea) and green (hyson) China teas.
I'd like to put together a blend of teas similar to what an upper-crust but not extremely wealthy English lady would serve around 1800. (we're not a very wealthy group ourselves.) Maybe Dragon Well and a WuYi Oolong?
I'm also concerned about how long to brew it, as black teas seem to need a longer brewing than green teas.
I also understand that drinking cream/milk with tea is not appropriate unless it is a very strong Assam. What about lemon and sugar?
Any advice on appropriate blends, and where to buy the tea (I'm in San Francisco) would be greatly appreciated.