Signature Blends Box Pass Sign-Up

Discuss some of the favorite customer-created Signature Blends.

Apr 21st, '09, 15:34

box pass

by Ebtoulson » Apr 21st, '09, 15:34

The package just came in today and i have to say its a little overwhelming. As of right now I'm making about 12 oz and splitting it with some friends so we can all get a taste. (already found some I'm going to order :D)

Apr 28th, '09, 16:09

by Ebtoulson » Apr 28th, '09, 16:09

I just sent off all the tea to GeekgirlUnveiled ($25 USPS/ $30 UPS). Just want to thank everyone that donated teas and especially kymidwife and adagio for getting it up and running.
As far as my favorite (besides my own :P) I'd have to say I liked woodie's Chocolate Masala Chai and Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Chai the most. I've never had chai before this and enjoyed it a lot (just in time for adagios chai section).

Eric

Apr 28th, '09, 17:55

by kymidwife » Apr 28th, '09, 17:55

Glad you enjoyed it, Eric! Thanks for the timely turn-around of the box. You guys be sure to take plenty of tea out, it sounds like the box is getting heavier instead of lighter. :lol:

Geek, let us know when it arrives to you!

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

May 4th, '09, 21:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » May 4th, '09, 21:41

Very large box. Overwhelmingly large. Also leaking tea everywhere. It was severely damaged in the mail, the sides of the box were split, several tins broken and a couple of lids sprung open. It will need to be sorted and repacked in another box.

Due to the size and weight of this box, I'm inclined to make a suggestion that we divide things up into two (or three) separate boxes, and send them in different directions. It would, of course, make more work for the pass coordinator (kymidwife,) but it would keep things moving, make it more likely to arrive intact, and break up the very large expense involved in shipping a heavy, oversized object. Also, it is very difficult to safely pack such a large, unwieldy box, so this would make it easier on everyone who receives it down the line.

To be completely honest, if I had known the magnitude of this pass, I would have opted out. It would have been a pleasure to receive it in two or three smaller rounds. This might be something to keep in mind on future passes too.

May 5th, '09, 20:27

Tea!!!!!!!!

by yoshter576 » May 5th, '09, 20:27

Count me in this is a awesome idea!!! :D :D :D :D

May 7th, '09, 00:13

by kymidwife » May 7th, '09, 00:13

Geek... sorry to hear there was damage to the box upon its arrival to you... and sorry you are feeling overwhelmed! I am certainly open to suggestions on how to make the process work better.

In the beginning, my personal expense in launching the box was going to be the same, whether it all went into one cumulative shipment box, or got divided up into multiple boxes. Participants signed up to receive all the teas, and so I'm thinking sending the tea in divided boxes to various participants at the same time might get complicated. I honestly don't probably have the time to devote to directing 3 different pass boxes to make sure they all get passed around amongst each participant who signed up... but if the remaining participants want it done that way, I guess we can see what can be worked out.

I know there's a lot of tea... and probably a bit more now than when it left me, since I know Woodie added some things. From the start, I did make every attempt to be pretty clear in communicating how much was in the box (including posting a list of box contents and photos), as well as the shipping cost each time it's been sent forward.

As for damage to the box... I am also open to suggestions on this. When I launched the box, I had all the tins taped closed... everything wrapped in bubble wrap, peanuts, and air pillow packing in a good sturdy, undamaged box... and I had the box marked as "Fragile"... but, the USPS still managed to damage it before it got to Woodie. I'm inclined to think UPS might be a better option if the price is comparable and convenient.

Suggestions anyone?

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

May 8th, '09, 18:54

2 or 3 boxes

by yoshter576 » May 8th, '09, 18:54

I do vote for the 2 or 3 boxes so if you do that i am willing to join the pass around Instead of paying 30 bucks. :D :D :D :) :D :) :)

May 8th, '09, 21:41

by silvermage2000 » May 8th, '09, 21:41

I think I would have to agree with yoshter unless we can find a better idea.
My name i's ashley I am a female and 21 years old.

May 9th, '09, 00:24

Re: 2 or 3 boxes

by kymidwife » May 9th, '09, 00:24

yoshter576 wrote:I do vote for the 2 or 3 boxes so if you do that i am willing to join the pass around Instead of paying 30 bucks. :D :D :D :) :D :) :)
Yoshter... I will PM you about your interest... thanks.

Sarah

May 9th, '09, 00:55

by kymidwife » May 9th, '09, 00:55

Geekgirl and I have PM'd about how best to manage the box to minimize damage risk, etc. without complicating the situation too much. For the time being, we've agreed to split up the teas into more than one box... Geek will decide whether to do 2 or 3.

I'd suggest that as participants receive the boxes, they deal with one box at a time... sample what you want from that box, and send it forward to the next person on the list... then open the 2nd box, sample, and send. This helps not only the size of the box and shipping damage, but staggers the arrival of tea so each person can take sample without being overwhelmed by the volume... and staggers the shipping cost as well.

For the sake of my sanity and everyone else's, I want to keep the teas all going to the same person next on the list... not sending out 3 boxes into 3 different directions... I just cant keep up with that. I also asked Geek to keep Woodie's teas all together in the same box if possible as he was thoughtful enough to prepare some info/instructions on his blends to include in the box.

Thanks everyone for your patience and input... I consider this a learning experience for planning and executing future passes. I wish I'd thought of splitting the teas up into more than one box from the beginning! Live and learn. :)

Sarah

May 11th, '09, 16:33

by Geekgirl » May 11th, '09, 16:33

Okay. I was going to attempt packing this in 2 boxes. The first is packed and tentatively ready. Fair warning, each segment will cost about $15-20 to send parcel post. The weight is probably the tins, not the tea. In previous box passes, tea was packed in foil envelopes, or ziplock, so weighed substantially less to ship. Each box contains (an estimated) 3.5lbs of actual tea. The box weight and tins doubles that (3.5lbs + is just the tins), in addition to being bulky and less practical for shipping as times goes on. Also, the tins are subject to damage, where the teas are not.

I don't believe there has been a box pass like this in the history of teachat, so this is definitely a learning experience. I certainly don't want to complicate things, or step on any toes regarding the administration of this pass.

But... how would people feel about ditching the tins, and just sending the blends along in quart size ziplock bags? They would, of course, be properly labeled with blend, and blender's name.

Pros: This option would save considerably on postage, would greatly reduce the likelihood of damaged tins and spilled/lost tea. It could probably also be packed into one larger, but still manageable size box. Practically speaking, as the volume of tea was reduced, the box size could also be reduced.

Cons: To see the nice art of each blend, you will have to look it up on Adagio's site. Ziplocks travel better, but can become damaged from repeated opening/closing. It will take me at least an additional few days to prep the box for a new method of travel. (Delays.)

May 11th, '09, 16:56

by Aphroditea » May 11th, '09, 16:56

I am in favor of GG's overhaul. Since the box is supposed to be an economical way of getting to try these blends and I think having to pay $40 to play is a bit much. GG - would you mind investing in some sturdy bags that are likely to hold up to zip/unzip on multiple occassions? The rest of us down the line can keep and eye out for any that look like they've had their day and replace.

I am also in favor of actually seeing the teas before I see the label - I might be wierd that way tho :)

Well, the idea gets my vote.

May 11th, '09, 18:14

by kymidwife » May 11th, '09, 18:14

Geek and all,

Yes, this is definitely a learning experience! I am stunned :shock: that the cost of the shipping for this pass has gone up so much after leaving me... I paid only 17.09 USPS parcel post to ship the whole thing... and it's only been to 2 more participants since I launched it. I know some new tea was added by the next 2 participants, but I would have expected enough tea was also being taken OUT of the box, that it would somewhat even out. Apparently not.

I'm absolutely in support of ditching the tins and going to bags. I considered this from the beginning, and decided against it because I thought the tins would offer extra protection from spillage (which has not turned out to be the case), and would decrease mixing of scents since these are all flavored teas... and that part still concerns me a bit. Probably its a good idea to double-bag.

I'm not sure if the label art will be damaged if peeled off and attached to the baggies... probably stuck too tightly to make this practical. Artwork on the label is nice but not really what draws any of us to enjoy or re-order tea... so really, as long as the name of the blend and the maker is on the bag, I'm not worried about the labels.

Let me know what else I can do to help the box continue onward.

Sarah

May 11th, '09, 19:43

by Geekgirl » May 11th, '09, 19:43

Okay, on the strength of the two responses, I'm going to proceed with a revamp of the packing arrangement. It will take me a little extra time to prep the box, so rather than going out today, it will likely be sent on Saturday. Hopefully this will make it easier down the line. Regarding scent transfer, it should be noted that the Adagio tins are not airtight. I've cleaned up all spillage, and sealed everything up in the tins, but my little office still smells like a candy store. :)

I'll bag things in the heavier "freezer" ziplocks, then group bag in gallons according to type.

May 11th, '09, 20:03

by jazz88 » May 11th, '09, 20:03

Thanks for doing that. I think it's the best solution under the circumstances.

+ Post Reply