Signature Blends Box Pass Sign-Up

Discuss some of the favorite customer-created Signature Blends.

Oct 11th, '10, 15:24

Re: Signature Blends Box Pass Sign-Up

by EleanorJustice » Oct 11th, '10, 15:24

My god, it's full of tea.

So I'm traveling while I sample many of these fabulously inventive teas, which makes the tasting process extra nifty (other peoples' tea kettles, teacups, and general teaphilia or teaphobia all add to the experience)

As I would my own blends, I'm trying to honor these blends by trying them straight, sweetened and then if it seems appropriate, creamed. It's unlikely that I'll try them all iced and warm (that's six ways, really, and while traveling and with occasionally limited sample resources, it's not really practical) but if it pops up, I'll share tidbits about it.

Right now I'm drinking the Wooden Tiger Chai by Richard Bouchard (sp?) and unsweetened it was interesting -- it had an almost smoky flavor, that actually made me think of damp wood. In a good way! Ages ago a friend showed me some special wooden sticks that folks somewhere in africa use as dental devices, chewing on them has a similar effect as brushing your teeth, and the wood has a sort of a spicy/smoky flavor while tasting like wet wood. Again, in a good way. That's what the unsweetened version brought to mind. The sweetened version (two Truvia packets) was similar, only sweet.

Then I added cream, and it's like this tea just *blossomed* -- it's exquisite! With both tea and sweetener it's got this incredibly rich, nutty, warm but not biting flavor that lingers on your tongue. It's a versatile flavor, too -- I could see having this instead of coffee in the morning, or as a dessert tea, or while dressed in Victorian finery, taking a tea break while on safari.

It's thoroughly scrumptious, and it's *definitely* worth buying a bag. Well done, Richard, well done.

:> E

Oct 11th, '10, 22:58

by RachelC » Oct 11th, '10, 22:58

EleanorJustice wrote: Ages ago a friend showed me some special wooden sticks that folks somewhere in africa use as dental devices, chewing on them has a similar effect as brushing your teeth, and the wood has a sort of a spicy/smoky flavor while tasting like wet wood.
:> E

I know about those sticks you are talking about and they are used in India as well. I think your will find them everywhere in Africa and majority of the Asian countries. They were normal everyday items used as a substitute for brushing your teeth. However, these days you will see more and more people using traditional toothbrushes as we do here.

Interesting useless fact. :D

Nov 16th, '10, 21:18

by RachelC » Nov 16th, '10, 21:18

How is the pass coming along? Haven't heard anything in while.

Nov 16th, '10, 22:46

by LauraW » Nov 16th, '10, 22:46

RachelC wrote:How is the pass coming along? Haven't heard anything in while.
Was just thinking the same thing, actually.

Nov 24th, '10, 23:38

by RachelC » Nov 24th, '10, 23:38

LauraW wrote:
RachelC wrote:How is the pass coming along? Haven't heard anything in while.
Was just thinking the same thing, actually.
Starting to feel like the tea is a lost cause. I know it arrived to Eleanor because she verified it with me but haven't heard a thing since. She travels a lot but still it was long ago that it was delivered and was hoping for some info on it by now, plus where is it going next? :?

Nov 25th, '10, 11:16

by kymidwife » Nov 25th, '10, 11:16

I have emailed Eleanor some time back and received no answer. I have no other participants on the list to receive the entire box, but have promised samples from whats left to a couple of peeps. El, you out there?

Sarah

Nov 25th, '10, 11:30

by kymidwife » Nov 25th, '10, 11:30

OK I've PM'd again, sent email, and tweeted. Hopefully we'll make contact! :)

Nov 29th, '10, 21:22

by kymidwife » Nov 29th, '10, 21:22

I got an email from Eleanor, so hopefully the box will be en route back to me this coming week.

Sarah

Nov 30th, '10, 21:54

by RachelC » Nov 30th, '10, 21:54

kymidwife wrote:I got an email from Eleanor, so hopefully the box will be en route back to me this coming week.

Sarah
Great! Was getting worried. Happy to hear it is fine and hopefully back to you soon. :D

Jan 27th, '11, 17:42

by RachelC » Jan 27th, '11, 17:42

Hope you got the box back. Is the pass over now?

Apr 18th, '11, 10:41

by kymidwife » Apr 18th, '11, 10:41

Just wanted to post a conclusion to the Signature Blends Box Pass.

We had a successful traveling of the box all over the country for over 2 years. The starting box had about 35 teas inside, and I truly lost count of how many different teas came and went over the 2 years. The last inventory counted over 70 different blends inside. 25 participants held the box and sampled teas over the course of its travels.

With that length of time and that many participants, I think it is remarkable that the box didn't disappear or get lost... until the very end. The box had a long hiatus due to some real-life obtacles on the part of a participant. With time, patience, and persistent communication, the box was retrieved. Because we'd been at the end of the list of participants, I'd offered to send samples to a forum member who contacted me privately and sent me Paypal cost of shipping. Unfortunately, after he sent me the postage cost, this is when the box went into extended hiatus. He was patient and understanding, declined my offer of returning the $$... and so, when the box finally made its way back to me, I decided to send this member as many samples as would fit into the flat-rate box! Fortunately, the box was reduced to the point that I was able to forward most of the remaining teas to him. (And I samples a good few # of them that I'd not had a chance to try before myself).

I just wanted to thank each and every one who participated, those who took the time to post reviews, and those who were generous enough to add their own contributions to the cause. Thanks to Chip for the support and advice along the way. Thanks especially to our Adagio sponsors for providing a good number of the original teas that launched the box. I think the pass was great fun, and hope we can consider doing another one in the future. I also hope it inspired some of you to try making your own blends... great way to be creative, and if you are a good blender with some skill for marketing your blends, you will be rewarded in accumulating those lovely tea points for future purchases at Adagio... which supports my purchase of staple teas and many many tea gifts to others.

Thanks again to all,

Sarah

Apr 18th, '11, 11:38
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 18th, '11, 11:38

Yay, glad to hear about the happy conclusion to the Signature Blend Box Pass!

Thanks Sarah and all those along the way for keeping it going! :mrgreen:

Apr 24th, '11, 08:44

by RachelC » Apr 24th, '11, 08:44

Thanks for everything Sarah it was great fun. You did a great job! :D

+ Post Reply