Robert Fornell Ceramics

Artisans share their Teaware Art.

May 8th, '10, 22:47

Re: Robert Fornell (Ronin Ceramurai) Chadogu

by Robert Fornell » May 8th, '10, 22:47

bonjiri wrote:
ronin ceramurai wrote:I unloaded my little chawangama this AM with most of it being Tengu....
kamadashi 1.jpg
However it looks like Seigan snuck a piece in while I wasn't looking.. :mrgreen:
kamadashi 2.jpg
Shades of things to come perhaps? :D

Enjoy your weekend everybody!
Best,
R
beautiful "seigan"
blue !

haha !

LOL man !

suspenseful post ! LOVE THE rutile blue !
cheers ! c

No rutile here Cory ........ just ash, spar and silica.... 8)

Best,
R

May 13th, '10, 15:18

by ginkgo » May 13th, '10, 15:18

yes if you have a photo of your kiln.... it will be nice !thanks !

May 24th, '10, 01:58

by Petr Novák » May 24th, '10, 01:58

My tribute to you and your work Robert. I am joinnig Gingo in wish to see your kiln(s). Specially where you were firing the bluewhite "like-nuka" ash glaze. All the best to you.

Petr

May 26th, '10, 14:34

by Robert Fornell » May 26th, '10, 14:34

Petr Novák wrote:My tribute to you and your work Robert. I am joinnig Gingo in wish to see your kiln(s). Specially where you were firing the bluewhite "like-nuka" ash glaze. All the best to you.

Petr
Thanks for your interest Petr and Gingko....... A few pics of it firing as well as a few pieces from recent firings.

Best wishes,
R
Studio chawan 2.jpg
Studio chawan 2.jpg (45.43 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
Attachments
Chawangama.jpg
Chawangama.jpg (24.35 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
Chawangama detail.jpg
Chawangama detail.jpg (26.74 KiB) Viewed 1042 times

May 26th, '10, 14:51

by shyrabbit » May 26th, '10, 14:51

R,
Interesting little kiln. Is it fired with natural gas? and what are you do'n for a vent? Just curious. Great yunomi!
Michael

May 26th, '10, 15:01

by Robert Fornell » May 26th, '10, 15:01

shyrabbit wrote:R,
Interesting little kiln. Is it fired with natural gas? and what are you do'n for a vent? Just curious. Great yunomi!
Michael
Thanks for looking Michael. Yes it's fired with NG and no vent as it's outside. I'll post more shots of the "Aoi (Blue) Hagi" as it is called as they emerge. So far the only kiln I've gotten them from is this little chawangama.....

Best,
R

May 26th, '10, 15:16

by AdamMY » May 26th, '10, 15:16

I forget if this has been mentioned, but how would one acquire your work, without going through the Subscription process?

The more I've been seeing that Thick White/pinkish glaze off set with black, and sometimes hints of other colors, the more and more I want to get one.

Keep up the great work.

May 26th, '10, 15:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 26th, '10, 15:37

Great pieces Robert. Love the Ao.

Question about those pinkish ones. From here, it looks wheeled on the inside, yet pinched on the outside. Can you enlighten us about how you make these a bit.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

May 26th, '10, 17:53

by shyrabbit » May 26th, '10, 17:53

rob,
Thanks, you've got a great like kiln there...makes me think.
Michael

May 27th, '10, 10:40

by Robert Fornell » May 27th, '10, 10:40

Chip wrote:Great pieces Robert. Love the Ao.

Question about those pinkish ones. From here, it looks wheeled on the inside, yet pinched on the outside. Can you enlighten us about how you make these a bit.

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Thanks for the compliments Chip and AdamMY. The chawan your referring to Chip are all pinch pots in which I use the same forming method as the Raku family does in Kyoto, which is to start with a thick disk of clay and then form it up into a bowl shape. It is then facetted/ carved/textured to ones tastes, all done on a hand wheel.....

Best,
R

May 27th, '10, 10:44
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 27th, '10, 10:44

Cool, thanks for the enlightenment, Robert!

May 27th, '10, 10:58

by Robert Fornell » May 27th, '10, 10:58

shyrabbit wrote:rob,
Thanks, you've got a great like kiln there...makes me think.
Michael
"Small is beautiful".....

This little kiln which originally was an electric test kiln which I built while living in Japan, holds 8 chawan and a few guinomi, and affords me the ability to check out glazes and temps/atmospheres quite quickly. I fire it in 10 - 12 hour firings at a cost of about $5-$8 per firing. Depending on the shelf configuration, one can create chawan which have a very well define shomen if one chooses to do so, as it is possible to create micro climates within the kiln which are then recorded by the work.

Yoshida Akira of Shichiringama fame is a Japanese potter who has done a fair amount of work developing and firing micro kilns and may have a book out (probably Japanese only at this point) on the subject.

Thanks Michael.

Best,
R

May 27th, '10, 11:23

by Petr Novák » May 27th, '10, 11:23

Thank you for sharing pics with the kiln- it is inspiring. And also for information about relationship between small kiln and silica blue...I use to have this kind of blue from my first wood kiln ten yearS ago and I lost it with descendant, bigger kiln. I have tried different feldspars, silica and of course ashes but without success...Now I have to try smaller kiln:)

Nice pieces, nice kiln
Petr

May 27th, '10, 12:19

by ginkgo » May 27th, '10, 12:19

thanks for the pictures of your small kiln ! very nice ! i think it is usefull to can make many tests and controll the firing . At wich emperature are you firing ? 1280 ° and with reduction atmosphere ? micro kiln : that subject interest me a lot if you know the reference of the book ... I don't like so much raku firing but the process to can have a little kiln and make quick firing is a way I like because it is experiment way.
thanks !

May 27th, '10, 14:09

by Robert Fornell » May 27th, '10, 14:09

ginkgo wrote:thanks for the pictures of your small kiln ! very nice ! i think it is usefull to can make many tests and controll the firing . At wich emperature are you firing ? 1280 ° and with reduction atmosphere ? micro kiln : that subject interest me a lot if you know the reference of the book ... I don't like so much raku firing but the process to can have a little kiln and make quick firing is a way I like because it is experiment way.
thanks !
Hi Ginkgo,

Here's a link to Amazon.com.jp with Yoshida-sans books, however as I thought, they're all in Japanese....... :(

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... &x=13&y=17

Best,
R

+ Post Reply