Shawn McGuire (GREENWOODSTUDIO)

Artisans share their Teaware Art.

Dec 16th, '12, 12:47
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Shawn McGuire (GREENWOODSTUDIO)

by Chip » Dec 16th, '12, 12:47

... these cups ... the clay ... definitely adds a taste dimension in the cup ... it is a mineral sweetness thing ... it is very nice.

But I do recommend a short hot soak for the first run lest you taste more of the cup than the tea. :mrgreen: :!: :idea: :arrow: :lol:

Quite enjoying these cups for some reason ... 8) there is a whimsy to them ... but not gimmicky.

Dec 20th, '12, 23:50

by Chip » Dec 20th, '12, 23:50

... shuweeeet ...

Dec 21st, '12, 12:19

by minor_glitch » Dec 21st, '12, 12:19

Your v̶i̶r̶g̶i̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ tea cup arrived today. Perfect timing for the apocalypse! I shall name it Maya.

Dec 21st, '12, 12:44

by GreenwoodStudio » Dec 21st, '12, 12:44

Nice pic Chip! Now fill it up!

See Glitch, you made it through the apocalypse. I'll start saving up my powers now until the next end of the world. :)

Dec 21st, '12, 16:17

by Chip » Dec 21st, '12, 16:17

GreenwoodStudio wrote:Nice pic Chip! Now fill it up!
Tea was brewing and ultimately poured. These cups are not only shuweeet, but sweet to hold!

Jan 7th, '13, 19:49

by AdamMY » Jan 7th, '13, 19:49

Shawn McGuire was nice enough to include a little extra piece when he shipped the guinomi he was nice enough to glaze and fire for me. I had been remiss in taking photos of it, but managed to get a shot of it today.

Behold another of the Flying Saucers, this one had a lot of crawling, or to stick with the flying saucer theme, its deflectors are damaged!

Greenwood Wan by Adam Yusko, on Flickr

Jan 10th, '13, 21:05

by Chip » Jan 10th, '13, 21:05

A beaute, Adam!

Soooo, looking at the "Accidental Dragon's" ecclectic mate revealed yet another "dragon" ...

Maybe this is Smaug?

This is inspiring a new topic I have considered for a while ... accidental faces in teaware.

Jan 10th, '13, 22:43

by GreenwoodStudio » Jan 10th, '13, 22:43

Very cool Chip! I see it holding and about to consume some sort of dark matter. Really great idea for a topic! Thanks for posting and glad those cups are getting examined for magical beings :lol: I want some of whatever your drinking, dude :wink:

Feb 3rd, '13, 21:56

by GreenwoodStudio » Feb 3rd, '13, 21:56

Well, I have not posted any studio updates in a while, so here goes. It's been a few months since I've had the chance to make new work. My main studio space is located in a pole barn and until just recently there was not an insulated, heated, finished area that I could work in the winter. But now I do. Yay! :D It was a lot of work and really the fist time I have done that sort of carpentry, but we took our time and did it right. Now I'm a happy (and warm) potter again and getting back into making new work.

For my first run of pots I decided to do some porcelain gaiwan and cup sets. I made a couple dozen of these sets of various sizes. The glaze firing was interesting. I had intended for these to be just plain porcelian with a nice smooth celadon glaze, so when I first opened the kiln and saw the results I was kinda freaking out. Not what I expected and further confirmation that the kiln gods are in fact tricksters. Upon closer inspection I was actually very pleased with the results, and a bit frustrated by the fact that I'll probably never be able to duplicate this surface. The porcelain bloated in a way that I've never encountered before, very tiny, consistently spaced bumps that resemble a frog's skin effect. Usually "bloating" is an ugly fault where you will get just a couple of random spots in the body of the piece that have bubbled and inflated from gas being trapped in the clay. The results I got here really add to the depth of the surface and remind me of a subtle pebbled textured clay under a nice smooth celadon. I'll try and get some better close-up shots tomorrow.

Here's a small example. It's small at 40 ml. where the lid meets the inside of the cup (with no leaf) The cup is 50 ml. to the rim.

Feb 3rd, '13, 22:03

by AdamMY » Feb 3rd, '13, 22:03

Interesting! Was the firing only these celadon and porcelain creations or was there other work in there too?

Feb 3rd, '13, 22:45

by debunix » Feb 3rd, '13, 22:45

Very interesting indeed, and challenging to capture photographically.

Feb 3rd, '13, 23:32

by GreenwoodStudio » Feb 3rd, '13, 23:32

Adam, it was a small firing and I only made gaiwan and cups. I seem to do pretty well with my gaiwans. I don't see many out there that are handmade or in these sizes.

Yes, a challenge to photograph for sure. I did take these pretty quick though. Actually, I'm not even sure these pieces will be a set together. I make each cup, lid and saucer in the wheel together measuring them to fit each other, then they get fired separately and all the pieces get mixed up. So, after the firing I have to spread all the pieces out and put the puzzle together of which lid and saucer was made with each cup, blahhh...lol. I haven't done that yet because I just unloaded the kiln this afternoon.

Feb 5th, '13, 08:52

by paul haigh » Feb 5th, '13, 08:52

I had no idea what scale that would be until I scrolled down- very nice!

Feb 5th, '13, 18:40

by GreenwoodStudio » Feb 5th, '13, 18:40

Yeah Paul, tiny pots hehehe :lol: Good luck with the wood-firing!

Here's one that's bigger but by no means BIG, still only 75 ml.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/122784386/ ... y-textured

Feb 6th, '13, 11:59
TeawareArtisan Member

by FiveStar » Feb 6th, '13, 11:59

These little Gais are awesome Shawn! I'm loving my little unglazed guy for Sheng. Might have to pick up another one of these. Now.... how to hide it from my wife.....

+ Post Reply