Jan 13th, '10, 16:08

Re: John Baymore.........Wood-fired Chadogu and Pottery

by shyrabbit » Jan 13th, '10, 16:08

John,
Handsome show...congrat's and good luck for the duration.
Michael

Jan 21st, '10, 04:40

by JBaymore » Jan 21st, '10, 04:40

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I hope to maybe meet at least one of you at the Artist's Reception this evening. If you are there, please let me know you are from TeaChat.

Yawnnnnnnnn. 4:30 AM! Off shortly to do a workshop presentation.

best,

.................john

Jan 21st, '10, 07:47

by chicagopotter » Jan 21st, '10, 07:47

John,

Your work is totally inspiring! Really love the Nuka Glazed Guinomi and Plates.

Awesome!

Chris

Jan 24th, '10, 20:18

by JBaymore » Jan 24th, '10, 20:18

Thanks Chris. That guinomi was the absolute first piece to sell in the exhibition (gallery owner in Newport, RI) and the hex plate with the overglaze enamel and slip flowers was not far behind (regular collector of my work).

The Artist's Reception last Thursday evening had about 100 people attend,... so pretty nice turnout and a number of new "red dots" apperared that night also :D .

No one from TeaChat though....unless they did not identify themselves.

best,

.................john

Feb 18th, '10, 11:00

by Robert Fornell » Feb 18th, '10, 11:00

Congrats John!

Looks like it was a great show and you found a wonderful space to compliment the fantastic work. Too bad the east coast is so far away as I'd have liked to see it..... I too loved the floral plate in tenmoku and kaki...... good eye there Collector-san!

Hope it went well for you John!

Best,
R

May 15th, '10, 11:21

by JBaymore » May 15th, '10, 11:21

Finally getting around to the "general introduction" stuff on my background which should have been included right at the beginning of this whole thread. Better late than never :lol: ! This following is basically lifted from my standard bio:

John Baymore's Abridged Biography

Growing up in northern New Jersey, and with a family history tracing back to the Mercer and Cook potteries of the Trenton, New Jersey area in the mid to late 1800s, John Baymore has been a professional studio potter for 40 years now. He currently fires a 30 year old, five chamber wood-fired noborigama at his studio located in Wilton, New Hampshire, where he has lived with his wife since 1977.

John studied ceramics at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst in the department then headed by Lyle Perkins, and was first introduced to Japanese clay work and wood firing when shown the black and white film, “The Village Potters of Onda” in his Ceramics 1 class taught by Brenda Minisci. As a result of this influence, he built his first wood kiln and began wood firing his student work in 1969. John has also attended classes at Massachusetts College of Art in Boston and Rivier College in Nashua, New Hampshire.

In the past, John has taught continuing education classes at the Danforth Museum School, continuing education and BFA/MFA credit courses at Massachusetts College of Art, and BFA/MFA credit courses at Boston University’s Program in Artisanry. He is currently adjunct professor of ceramics at the New Hampshire Institute of Art in Manchester, New Hampshire, where he teaches ceramics studio and technical courses as well as ceramic art history in the undergraduate, certificate, and continuing education programs since the fall of 1995. He was also the full-time ceramics technician at Massachusetts College of Art (74-78).

He currently is on the New Hampshire Institute of Art’s Curriculum Committee, for many years acted as the chairperson of the NHIA Health and Safety Committee, and also sat on NHIA’s NASAD Accreditation Committee. He was the college’s part-time Academic Program Health and Safety Coordinator for one year. He has also worked as a member of the Leadership Advisory Team for the New Hampshire Department of Education.

John has been a presenter at the National Council for Education in the Ceramic Arts conferences in Boston in (84), in Columbus (99), and in Portland (04). He has presented workshops for diverse organizations including such venues as the Alabama Clay Conference, the Harvard University Ceramics Program, Massachusetts College of Art, Boston University, Wellsley College, the New Hampshire Potter’s Guild, Emerson Umbrella Art Center, The Potter’s Shop, Mudflat Studios, Clay Dragon Studio, two New Hampshire Art Educator’s Conferences, a NJ State Teacher’s Conference, and many others.

In 1981, John was curator of a major exhibition of the work from the historical Dorchester Pottery Works at the Joseph Carreiro Gallery in Boston. This educational exhibition included a recreation in the large gallery space of a section of the massive coal-fired beehive kiln, as well as displays of the domestic pottery and industrial objects produced there.

A kiln design and technical consultant for Cutter-Eagle Ceramics (78-84), John has been a professional kiln builder since 1973. He has built numerous gas, wood, salt, and soda kilns for potters and craft centers over the years, as far away from home as Richmond, VA in the United States, and recently also in Japan. He designed the commercial plans for the "Cutter Crossdraft" and was responsible for design revisions and drawing the detailed plans for the popular "Cutter Brookfield Kiln", originally designed by Gerry Williams. John was the online “Kiln Answer Man” for the CraftWEB Project in 1995. He has also done glaze development consulting for the Finer Decoration Division of Sherle Wagner International in (82-84).

In 2006, John designed and oversaw construction of a large wood kiln at the Kanayama Togei Kumiai in Goshogawara-shi, Japan where it joined the only other non-Japanese designed and built wood kiln installed there by Fred Olsen. During the summer of 2009, John was invited to lead a group of international artists in a month long project in building a large wood fired salt kiln at Kanayama. In 1979, John was a consultant for the living history museum, “Old Sturbridge Village“ in Massachusetts, when they constructed a re-creation of a large colonial period wood fired bottle kiln.

John was an invited participant at the First Woodfiring Aesthetics Symposium held at the Japan Society in New York City in 1983, and was recently included in Gerry Williams' slide presentation on "Japanese Influences on American Ceramics" at the American Craft Museum in New York City.

He was the recipient of the Judge’s Special Prize in the Mashiko Ceramics Competition in 1996, juried by Shimaoka Tatsuzo and Hamada Shinsaku, and was invited to Japan to receive that award. Both Joan Mondale (representing the Ambassador to Japan) and the Assistant Cultural Attache’ to Japan attended the awards ceremony, representing the U.S. Government. This exhibition was attended by the Emperor of Japan as well as 10,000 Japanese citizens.

He was an invited presenter at the Aomori International Woodfire Festival in Japan in 2002, an event viewed by 37,000 Japanese citizens, and has also been guest lecturer at the prestigious Tokyo National University of Art and Music (Geidai) in the summers of 2004 and again in 2008. In 2004, 2006, and 2008, John was an invited artist-in-residence at the Tsugaru Kanayama Ceramic Cooperative. In 2003, John was invited to join Fred Olsen and Steven Branfman representing the United States at the Aomori Japanese Wood Fire Festival, but the event was cancelled due to the outbreak of SARS. John has been invited to travel to Japan as a professional artist on six separate occasions in the past 8 years, and has lived and made pots in Japan for well over a year in that time period.

His work has been acquired for public collections in Japan including the Mashiko Pottery Museum, the Tokyo National University of Art and Music Collection, the Aomori Art Museum, the Goshogawara Art Museum, the Kanayama Resident Artists’ Collection, and Hitachi Corporation President's Collection. His work is in the private collections of many Japanese potters including Shimaoka Tatsuzo, Hamada Shinsaku, Matsuzaki Ken, Ogawa Hirohisa, Kondo Hiroshi, Shimada Fumio, Yokou Satoshi, Matsumiya Ryoji, and Shigetoshi Tsuji.

John was selected to be featured in Japanese journalist Yokota Masuo's 2001 Japanese language book on Americans who are greatly influenced by Japanese culture. Also published in the Japanese language, a kiln he built in Japan is featured as the cover shot of issue #79 of the “Aomori Journal” and he has a six page section about him in Matsumiya Ryouji’s new Japanese language book, “Clay, Fire, and a Stubborn Guy”. John’s influences from Japan are also mentioned in English in Yale University Press’s “Encyclopedia of New England”, and you can find his overglazed woodfired work which is influenced by Hamada Shoji’s work, pictured in Paul Lewing’s ACERS text, “Overglaze and China Paint”.

Other recent text publications involve multiple inclusions in Maureen Mills’ new, “Ceramic Surface Decoration”, studio information and pottery images in Steven Branfman’s, “Potters Professional Handbook” and a listing in Yankee Magazine’s, “Guidebook to New England Handcraft Centers” as well as "Goodfellows Catalog of Wonderful Things". His work has appeared in Ceramics Monthly, Clay Times, Ceramic Industry, New Hampshire Magazine, and many other magazines and newspapers. John has appeared on NHK Television News in Japan a number of times, in a one hour RAB Television special (Japanese language for domestic use) produced on the Kanayama residency program, on WMUR Television’s “Four O’ Clock Focus”, and on National Public Radio being featured speaking about ceramic toxicology issues in 1976.

Articles by John have appeared in Ceramics Monthly, The Crafts Report, the NCECA Journal, and other publications. In 1983, John was also a pre-publication content reviewer for Charlotte Speight’s college text, “Hands in Clay” and in 2005 for Steven Goldate’s, “Dictionary of World Ceramic Art and Artists”.

Recent exhibitions include an invitational solo exhibition at the Thayer Academy Gallery in Braintree, Mass. in January of 2010, "Three in Clay" invitational at Chi-Lin Asian Arts Gallery in Meredith, NH in 09, “Faculty Highlights” at the New Hampshire Institute of Art in 05 through 09, “The Vessel” invitational in 2004 and 2008, “International Resident Artists” at the Kanayama Togei Kumiai in 04, 06, 08 and 09, at the Aomori International Woodfire Festival in 02, and the 67th, 68th, 69th, 70th, and 71st “Regional Juried Exhibition” at the Fitchburg, Mass. Art Museum. Other recent exhibitions include the 05 “Endless Variations” NCECA shino invitational in Baltimore, the “1st N.H Ceramics National Biennial”, the "New Hampshire Woodfire Potters Invitational", “Woodfire Potters Invitational” in Manitou Springs, CO, and “Our Cups Runneth Over” invitational at the Society of Arts and Crafts in Boston, where he also had a solo show in 2003. John was one of three invited wood-firing artists when Tokai Gallery on Newbury Street in Boston held its first-ever showing of any non-Japanese ceramic artists in 2002. John has had work in 12 exhibitions in Japan since 1996.

He is a charter member of the Potter’s Council of the American Ceramic Society, and a member of the American Craft Council, NCECA, the New Hampshire Potters Guild, and a state-juried level member of the League of New Hampshire Craftsmen. John is also a member of both the Japan Society of Boston as well as Doshikai Iaido Dojo. He is a Level 3 Certified member of the Professional Ski Instructors of America, and a recently retired member of the PSIA Educational Staff.

http://www.nhia.edu/new-facultypage-5/

May 20th, '10, 18:43

by JBaymore » May 20th, '10, 18:43

Kansas City Teabowl National 2010

I have the following pictured Chawan in the upcoming exhibition of American teabowls that runs from June 1 through June 30th, 2010 at the Bruce R. Watkins Cultural Heritage Center in Kansas City, MO. The opening reception is Friday, June 11, but unfortunately I will not be in attendance.
JCB-Teabowls2010-Chawan1.jpg
JCB-Teabowls2010-Chawan1.jpg (22.09 KiB) Viewed 8334 times
JCB-Teabowls2010-Chawan1a.jpg
JCB-Teabowls2010-Chawan1a.jpg (19.13 KiB) Viewed 8334 times
JCB-Teabowls2010-Chawan1b.jpg
JCB-Teabowls2010-Chawan1b.jpg (22.15 KiB) Viewed 8334 times

If anyone from Teachat is in the area, this exhibition solely of teabowls should provide a good competitively juried selection of teabowls of all sorts selected by respected ceramic artist and college professor Pete Pinnel.

If you are interested in this piece of mine, you will need to contact the exhibition organizers directly. The number at the Kansas City Clay Guild is 913-384-1718.

best,

...................john

May 30th, '10, 11:41

by JBaymore » May 30th, '10, 11:41

If any fellow "Teachatters" are here in the New Hampshire region this summer, I have some work in an upcoming invitational exhibition that includes painters, photographers, printmakers, and one other ceramist (Chris Archer).

"Seacoast Master Artists"

Soo Rye Art Gallery
11 Sagamore Road
Rye, NH 03870
(603) 319-1578

June 8th through June 29th, 2010
Opening Reception: June 11th, 2010 5PM - 7PM

Here are a few of the series of pieces that I have in the exhibition:
JCB-YakishimeVase1.jpg
JCB-YakishimeVase1.jpg (36.88 KiB) Viewed 8310 times
JCB-YakishimeVase2.jpg
JCB-YakishimeVase2.jpg (47.04 KiB) Viewed 8310 times
JCB-YakishimeVase3.jpg
JCB-YakishimeVase3.jpg (36.98 KiB) Viewed 8310 times
As always, everything shown is woodfired in my large noborigam kiln. All of the pictured pieces above (and most of my pieces in the show) are "glazed" only by natural fly-ash deposits (shizenyu) from the firing process. The root source for the general nature of the form of the pieces are traditional gourd sake bottles from Japan..... taken through my own interpretations :wink: .

There are no specific teawares like Chawan, mizusashi, chaire, and the like in this particular exhibition, but a number of the vase form pieces would be suitable for Chabana.

Hope to maybe meet someone from Teachat at the Opening Reception.

best,

...................john

May 31st, '10, 13:04

by Robert Fornell » May 31st, '10, 13:04

You're really TOO FAR AWAY John!

I'd love to see your show...... wishing you a torrential downpour of red dots! :D

Best,
R

May 31st, '10, 17:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 31st, '10, 17:58

Best of luck with the shows, John! :mrgreen:

I hope you can share some photos.

May 31st, '10, 22:40

by JBaymore » May 31st, '10, 22:40

Thanks guys.

I'll be offline for a few days as I work on my computer. See you in a few.

best,

................john

Jun 8th, '10, 10:59

by JBaymore » Jun 8th, '10, 10:59

Here's the link to the Kansas City 2010 Teabowl National
exhibition images:

http://www.kcclayguild.org/tbn/2010/img0.html

best,

............john

PS: My former apprentice's work is in there too..... Warren Smith. :D

Jun 8th, '10, 11:12

by debunix » Jun 8th, '10, 11:12

Beautiful show. I would love to have jurored the show, but in person, trying each one out with some nice tea!

Jun 8th, '10, 11:46
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 8th, '10, 11:46

Thanks for sharing that link! Wow, that was painfully wonderful seeing so many beautiful bowls.

Jun 8th, '10, 12:33

by JBaymore » Jun 8th, '10, 12:33

debunix wrote:Beautiful show. I would love to have jurored the show, but in person, trying each one out with some nice tea!
Victoria wrote:Thanks for sharing that link! Wow, that was painfully wonderful seeing so many beautiful bowls.
It looks like a great show. I'm happy to have my work included. And really pleased to see Warren's work included there too. He was my full time live-in apprentice back in about 1978-1980.

best,

.........john

+ Post Reply