Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (54.9 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (30.61 KiB) Viewed 2159 times

Sep 22nd, '15, 21:31

Re: Petr Novák - Pots under influence of tea

by debunix » Sep 22nd, '15, 21:31

I notice a fair bit of staining on the base of my treebark pots, more uniform than what you show, but they've had more use by now--it might have been more irregular at the beginning. My rough little shibo does have some staining that looks a lot like yours, and is used with puerh.

Sep 22nd, '15, 22:24

by LouPepe » Sep 22nd, '15, 22:24

And here is the interior glazed "smoother" clay pot. 200 ml used for greens. I don't think this is celadon. Seems too green/yellow.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (47.59 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (42.65 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (43.93 KiB) Viewed 2151 times

Sep 22nd, '15, 22:27

by LouPepe » Sep 22nd, '15, 22:27

A few more angles :)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (40.65 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (51.73 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (48.7 KiB) Viewed 2150 times

Sep 22nd, '15, 22:31

by LouPepe » Sep 22nd, '15, 22:31

debunix wrote:I notice a fair bit of staining on the base of my treebark pots, more uniform than what you show, but they've had more use by now--it might have been more irregular at the beginning. My rough little shibo does have some staining that looks a lot like yours, and is used with puerh.
Seems like some of the clays are very porous then! Funny that they can be so porous yet perform so well.

Oct 17th, '15, 15:23

by kuánglóng » Oct 17th, '15, 15:23

Just tried to snatch this beauty, but someone else was more lucky :?
Shiboridashi Phoenix PN - Petr Novak - sm.jpg
Shiboridashi Phoenix PN - Petr Novak - sm.jpg (23.36 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
@Petr: is there any chance for a rerun, maybe a bit smaller (~110ml)?

Oct 19th, '15, 03:09

by Petr Novák » Oct 19th, '15, 03:09

LouPepe wrote:Here are some pics of the shibo with the shu-pu stains. Anyone else get these on their pots? This considered the high-iron clay? I like them on this piece.
Thank you all for your comments here, there is a lot of them since my last visit:)

Yes, the clay is quite porouse, and we know about at least one another case of such kind of stains. There were long discusions about what/why it is there and what to do about it. Because as you said, the clay is nice and tea from it is nice as well, we dont want to just stop to use it. I am also not sure if it has to be there just "tea going through", but maybe also carbonize organic materials from clay, which got stock inside during reduction firing. Anyway, no we try to keep this clay in higher fire, and prolong the firing- that would do the job.
LouPepe wrote:And here is the interior glazed "smoother" clay pot. 200 ml used for greens. I don't think this is celadon. Seems too green/yellow.
This is actually Nuka glaze on very fine, light stoneware. The nuka was aplyed in thiner layer so it goes to that transparent green, celadon like glaze.
kuánglóng wrote:@Petr: is there any chance for a rerun, maybe a bit smaller (~110ml)?
It is a bit tricky to get it right, but well, what is not, right? :))

There is always chance :) We are about to release new selection on our "potsandtea club" in few days, and there will be some shibos, even close to this one. If you would like to recieve the notification when all will be on, then just drop me an email to keramikakcajiATgmail.com

If you will not fine there what are you looking for, then I belive there will be some pieces in that spirit in future kilns and we can talk about it then.

Oct 19th, '15, 03:14

by Petr Novák » Oct 19th, '15, 03:14

Some baits from the upcoming club offer, small 90ml celadon-porcelain teapot and big shino matcha bowl...just please, to be fair, no reservations till all will be officialy online:). Any comments are welcome!!
DSCN0006.JPG
DSCN0006.JPG (14.02 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
DSCN0034.JPG
DSCN0034.JPG (35.95 KiB) Viewed 2013 times

Oct 19th, '15, 05:32

by kuánglóng » Oct 19th, '15, 05:32

Petr Novák wrote:
kuánglóng wrote:@Petr: is there any chance for a rerun, maybe a bit smaller (~110ml)?

There is always chance :) We are about to release new selection on our "potsandtea club" in few days, and there will be some shibos, even close to this one. If you would like to recieve the notification when all will be on, then just drop me an email to keramikakcajiATgmail.com

If you will not fine there what are you looking for, then I belive there will be some pieces in that spirit in future kilns and we can talk about it then.
Thanks Petr, much appreciated. That very shiboom made me go :shock:

Oct 19th, '15, 21:54

by LouPepe » Oct 19th, '15, 21:54

Petr Novák wrote:
LouPepe wrote:Here are some pics of the shibo with the shu-pu stains. Anyone else get these on their pots? This considered the high-iron clay? I like them on this piece.
Thank you all for your comments here, there is a lot of them since my last visit:)

Yes, the clay is quite porouse, and we know about at least one another case of such kind of stains. There were long discusions about what/why it is there and what to do about it. Because as you said, the clay is nice and tea from it is nice as well, we dont want to just stop to use it. I am also not sure if it has to be there just "tea going through", but maybe also carbonize organic materials from clay, which got stock inside during reduction firing. Anyway, no we try to keep this clay in higher fire, and prolong the firing- that would do the job.
LouPepe wrote:And here is the interior glazed "smoother" clay pot. 200 ml used for greens. I don't think this is celadon. Seems too green/yellow.
This is actually Nuka glaze on very fine, light stoneware. The nuka was aplyed in thiner layer so it goes to that transparent green, celadon like glaze.

Thank you for the clarifications Petr. I do love that glaze on the teapot! And I like the fine stoneware as well. Beautiful colorations from the firing. And yes, the shibo actually does leak water through but only when dry/er and at the very beginning. I guess it (seals) up when it gets hot and clay absorbs the water. But as porous as the clay is, it performs very well with the shou-pu I've been brewing in it.

Any gung fu size Shino or Nuka pots in your next club offering? My fingers are itching to own pots with those glazes :). I especially like the uniform Shino pots. Ones with minimal outside decoration but with nice fire/ash? coloration.

Oct 19th, '15, 21:57

by LouPepe » Oct 19th, '15, 21:57

Also,,, have you played with any tenmoku glaze lately?

Oct 20th, '15, 12:03

by debunix » Oct 20th, '15, 12:03

Sharing a morning with some not-fresh-from-the-kiln Petr-yaki....

The little cup was from Petr's TC TA SO #3 Wood Fired Shino collection, and it's lovely to see that the interior staining is adding drama to the interior to match the exterior lacy shino. It's a perfect size & shape for sipping puerh quickly, and pairs beautifully with the little treebark 'Ent' pot I've dedicated to puerh (draining upside down in the background of the image).

We were discussing staining on the bottom of teapots earlier in this topic, and here is the bottom of the little Ent pot

I'm really not sure whether this is due to tannins migrating through pores in the ceramic, or from spills and drips and being set down in tea puddles. Either way, it's adding evidence of use to the piece, and doesn't bother me a bit.

Oct 20th, '15, 15:20

by Petr Novák » Oct 20th, '15, 15:20

kuánglóng wrote:Any gung fu size Shino or Nuka pots in your next club offering? My fingers are itching to own pots with those glazes .
I am afraid there will be no shino/nuka pots this time. This firing was not from the best for the nuka (new batch of ash=we have to tune it up!) and there was just couple of shino pots which are already gone. Sorry, next time!! There will be rather unglazed-Czech bizen pots, some three barks, some suprices...
debunix wrote:The little cup was from Petr's TC TA SO #3 Wood Fired Shino collection
It seems like ages since that TC TA! In other words, nicely aged cup, thank you for sharing, so nice. I actually have one pot from that batch in use myself. It was cracked from too strong fire so I leave it at home and use it quite regurarly since. even that I have to make just short brews if I dont want to loose my tea:)

One more pot from today shooting. Small 100ml pot in new Mirka's designed tea boat...
DSCN0171.JPG
DSCN0171.JPG (29.45 KiB) Viewed 1927 times

Oct 20th, '15, 18:08

by kuánglóng » Oct 20th, '15, 18:08

Petr Novák wrote:
kuánglóng wrote:Any gung fu size Shino or Nuka pots in your next club offering? My fingers are itching to own pots with those glazes .
Misfired quote - I never said that. Me wants one of those fake-rust shibos.

Oct 20th, '15, 22:24

by LouPepe » Oct 20th, '15, 22:24

Petr Novák wrote:
I am afraid there will be no shino/nuka pots this time. This firing was not from the best for the nuka (new batch of ash=we have to tune it up!) and there was just couple of shino pots which are already gone. Sorry, next time!! There will be rather unglazed-Czech bizen pots, some three barks, some suprices...

One more pot from today shooting. Small 100ml pot in new Mirka's designed tea boat...
DSCN0171.JPG

That's really unique pot! Unglazed correct? Looking forward to the seeing the surprises :P

+ Post Reply