Jan 9th, '14, 17:33

Re: Petr Novák - Pots under influence of tea

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jan 9th, '14, 17:33

debunix wrote:Always happy to share my love for beautiful & functional ceramics. Today I noticed some exceptionally drippy & dreamy new pieces at darjeeling.cz. Get them now while you can....
Yes, "drippy" and "dreamy".....there are some wonderful pieces there. I checked again late last night and some new pieces were added. I could not, did not, resist the pull of that wonderful chawan. I'm going to have to hand over my credit cards to my wife for safe-keeping if this keeps up. :lol:

Jan 14th, '14, 01:36

by Petr Novák » Jan 14th, '14, 01:36

A special selection from last kilns and our new way of presentation...http://potsandtea.blogspot.cz/2014/01/p ... nning.html
DSCN3781.JPG
DSCN3781.JPG (26.44 KiB) Viewed 2248 times

Jan 14th, '14, 09:34

by yalokinh » Jan 14th, '14, 09:34

Ooh, how did you make that one?

Jan 14th, '14, 11:36

by kikula » Jan 14th, '14, 11:36

That one really moved me, at about 2AM this morning. I've really been bit hard by the pottery bug. I read about and look at pictures of ancient and new tea pottery obsessively. My beginner's eye seems to be better and better at discerning what makes that perfect tension between refinement and roughness in the Japanese pieces that I most love to look at, and wish I could hold. Mostly I must just look.
Can't formulate it - one minute I say, "It's the asymmetry that also balances, like in nature" and then I fall for a perfectly symmetrical piece. Another minute, "It's the craggy, shadowy surfaces" and the next minute I'm falling for soft, smooth depths. The beautiful, gritty, soothing earth colors? But then there's a heartbreakingly great piece with brilliant, glassy greens and blues, or shimmering, hard reds... It's an aesthetic that I've always casually loved but never tried much to understand before.
When I looked at the series of pictures of this one on the site, I thought that the inside curl of white glaze looked moonlt, perfect and simple, and had that feeling. :)
So I signed up, and we'll see if I'm the first suitor.

And email from Petr as I type! Oh, joy. It's like stalking shy deer, capturing Petr pots.

Jan 14th, '14, 12:51

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jan 14th, '14, 12:51

kikula wrote:That one really moved me, at about 2AM this morning. I've really been bit hard by the pottery bug. I read about and look at pictures of ancient and new tea pottery obsessively. My beginner's eye seems to be better and better at discerning what makes that perfect tension between refinement and roughness in the Japanese pieces that I most love to look at, and wish I could hold. Mostly I must just look.
Can't formulate it - one minute I say, "It's the asymmetry that also balances, like in nature" and then I fall for a perfectly symmetrical piece. Another minute, "It's the craggy, shadowy surfaces" and the next minute I'm falling for soft, smooth depths. The beautiful, gritty, soothing earth colors? But then there's a heartbreakingly great piece with brilliant, glassy greens and blues, or shimmering, hard reds... It's an aesthetic that I've always casually loved but never tried much to understand before.
When I looked at the series of pictures of this one on the site, I thought that the inside curl of white glaze looked moonlt, perfect and simple, and had that feeling. :)
So I signed up, and we'll see if I'm the first suitor.

And email from Petr as I type! Oh, joy. It's like stalking shy deer, capturing Petr pots.
:D Congratulations.
Oh, joy. It's like stalking shy deer, capturing Petr pots.
Indeed! With the time difference between California and Maryland, it seems we both at the same moment were lured into an "aesthetic moment" and found ourselves the recipients of Petr's new creation (the new blog space), each leaving that beautiful gallery with an unintended piece. Besides the tea bowl, that first unomi really held my eye for a while as well; I kept scrolling back to it. Beautiful.

Jan 14th, '14, 13:01

by kikula » Jan 14th, '14, 13:01

There we go again, TeaArt. :)
That first yunomi is wonderful, I lingered there long. Surrendered to moonlight. You take yang this time, I take yin. Congratulations to both of us. :)

Jan 14th, '14, 14:53

by Petr Novák » Jan 14th, '14, 14:53

Thank you all for taking a part!

to Kikula and TeaArt: When I was posting that on my blog, it was early morning here and I thought that it have to be too late/too early for US enthusiastics. Obviously, I was wrong:)
yalokinh wrote:Ooh, how did you make that one?
Well it is simple bowl, without glazing or anything. You just trow it and put it in to fire:) There is white slip (kaolin mixture) inside (that white map) and there was also some horsetail weed inside during the firing. There are some light glaze_like lines inside from that plant. Bowl was then fired in charcoal part of our kiln. It means it was covered with charcoal at top temperature. That charcoal (local reduction) make a lot of soft, rusty-red-brown-black colors on hight iron body of the bowl.

Jan 14th, '14, 15:37

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jan 14th, '14, 15:37

Petr, Thank you again for all you bring to the path of tea and the way that bringing enriches so many others.
to Kikula and TeaArt: When I was posting that on my blog, it was early morning here and I thought that it have to be too late/too early for US enthusiastics. Obviously, I was wrong:)
Us stalkers of "shy deer" have perhaps become adept at noticing even their faintest tracks and feeling their invisible pull from across the continents, even if it keeps us awake past healthy limits. :wink:

kikula wrote:There we go again, TeaArt. :)
That first yunomi is wonderful, I lingered there long. Surrendered to moonlight. You take yang this time, I take yin. Congratulations to both of us. :)
Ha..yes to us both, karass indeed. I appreciated the bowl and sat transfixed upon it for some time but knew, I now know rightly, it was not mine. Though I felt her pull, lovely and tempting, I also left the yunomi's bright beauty for some other enamored guest and instead chose to journey with the simplicity and zen austerity of the old hermit "Ryokan." A metaphorical choice indeed! Which brings to mind when thinking of your new chawan:

"Only thing
the thief left behind--
moon in my window."

(Ryokan)

Which in this instance could be:

One thing
TeaArt left behind--
moon in a chawan. :lol:

or

Only thing
Petr left behind--
moon in my chawan. :mrgreen:

Jan 15th, '14, 01:29

by debunix » Jan 15th, '14, 01:29

茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote: Us stalkers of "shy deer" have perhaps become adept at noticing even their faintest tracks and feeling their invisible pull from across the continents, even if it keeps us awake past healthy limits. :wink:
Surely that faint pull was what woke me an hour or more ahead of my usual time to get online and find this invitation....

Jan 15th, '14, 01:58

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jan 15th, '14, 01:58

debunix wrote:
茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote: Us stalkers of "shy deer" have perhaps become adept at noticing even their faintest tracks and feeling their invisible pull from across the continents, even if it keeps us awake past healthy limits. :wink:
Surely that faint pull was what woke me an hour or more ahead of my usual time to get online and find this invitation....
:D You know it's funny, but when I am looking at Petr's wares when there up, I'm always really trying to check in with myself to make sure a piece is truly the one for me. I try to listen so as not to purchase a piece that might really be calling to another. I find myself inwardly celebrating that another TeaChat member might purchase a piece and feel excited when I see a piece I was interested in show up on the forum in the possession of another forum member (keeping it in the family :wink: ). I'm glad I didn't purchase the chawan and that Kikula got it after connecting so beautifully to the piece. I really appreciate Kikula's association of "moonlight" in the bowl. The first yunomi in the list is beautiful and I can't wait to see if it shows up here too. Ultimately, I felt the greatest pull to the small Ryokan teapot and feel very blessed to have reserved it. But honestly, I'd still celebrate the situation if another TeaChat member got the piece. I enjoy the way we all pour "together" and really do celebrate when another member makes a successful stalk, hones in on the target, and attains the "shy deer." As I was looking at the pieces, tired and wanting to sleep, I found myself wondering who else from the forum was sitting there awake and excitedly looking at the pieces. Turns out I was not alone...and that's quite beautiful!

Blessings!

Jan 28th, '14, 19:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 28th, '14, 19:34

Petr-Yaki "set" from TeaChat Teaware Artisan SO. These are all amazing pieces to look at and to hold ... and to enjoy tea!

Feb 2nd, '14, 17:38

by Chip » Feb 2nd, '14, 17:38

Petr's Snake pit!!!
Expanded collection.

King Brown Snake Kyusu ... snake are cold-blooded, add hot water and tea leaves, they begin to move around.

Contrary to popular beliefs, snakes of different colors do indeed co-mingle. Here ... "white," "honey," "brown," and "natural." What other color snakes does Petr have ... up his sleeves. Oh my!

White ...

Honey ...

Brown ...

... and cousins, brown and natural ...

Feb 2nd, '14, 20:07

by debunix » Feb 2nd, '14, 20:07

Something more subtle than the snakeskin or the large chawan's drips....

Feb 2nd, '14, 22:23

by Chip » Feb 2nd, '14, 22:23

debunix wrote:Something more subtle than the snakeskin or the large chawan's drips....
Nothing subtle about that glaze! :mrgreen:

Feb 5th, '14, 13:08

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Feb 5th, '14, 13:08

debunix wrote:Something more subtle than the snakeskin or the large chawan's drips....

Debunix,

Wow! That blue is intensely rich along with all the other subtle detail!

+ Post Reply