Jun 5th, '09, 17:56

pics

by T-session » Jun 5th, '09, 17:56

how about one more, this is addicting :wink: a beautiful koge hanaire
and Image.
I like this shape and the yohen, the shizenyu (ash glaze) and koge. This vase was in the fire box and received koge development. Koge results when clay is buried in embers for a prolonged period. Koge begins to develop texture as ash is deposited and runs into the ember bed. As the ash saturation turned rock like it became Ishi-koge. This piece is approximately 4 3/4" high by 3 " wide. I'd like to make some bigger ones.
Thanks for looking, Bill
Last edited by T-session on Jun 8th, '09, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 5th, '09, 18:15
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 5th, '09, 18:15

Most Impressive whale breach!

Since you asked, leaves are cool, but I am partial to Momiji (japanese maple). :wink:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 6th, '09, 17:11

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jun 6th, '09, 17:11

I actually got to meet Bill today at the Westcott Art Trail. I was very impressed with his work. It looks incredible actually seeing the pieces in person and they are a joy to touch and hold. The wood firing makes spectacular markings.

The red cup is the sibling to the one Aphroditea got. It is a wonderful piece of work. The shape fits perfectly in my hands and the foot is just great. The color is a lovely earthy red with metallic flecks from the wood ash. Absolutely awesome.

Image Image

The grey colored cup reminds me of a pale robin's egg. The flecks are really neat, but the shape is what sold me on it. It cradles so well while holding it.
Image Image

Rosie was a good help with taking pictures. Thankfully, she had just gotten a bath.

Jun 6th, '09, 19:57

by Aphroditea » Jun 6th, '09, 19:57

Cin! We're 'cup twins'! :D

I love the cups you bought - in fact I almost bought both of them (until my husband made that strangled coughing noise he likes to make when I buy things :wink: ). I can't wait to get mine in person since you seem so happy with your purchases. I envy you having gotten to see the pieces in person. :P

Cheers!!

Jun 6th, '09, 20:15

westcott art trail

by T-session » Jun 6th, '09, 20:15

I had the pleasure of meeting Cinnamon Kitty today at the Art show. She is truely a delightful person. Thank you for your kind words about my work. It is one of my biggest passions. It makes me feel so good knowing someone will enjoy using and holding my creations. Cin' and your "cup twin" Aphroditea, thank you. Bill

Jun 7th, '09, 00:01

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jun 7th, '09, 00:01

Aphroditea wrote:Cin! We're 'cup twins'! :D

I love the cups you bought - in fact I almost bought both of them (until my husband made that strangled coughing noise he likes to make when I buy things :wink: ). I can't wait to get mine in person since you seem so happy with your purchases. I envy you having gotten to see the pieces in person. :P

Cheers!!
There was a reason that I went alone to the show without my other half. I would have gotten eye rolls and most likely dragged away from many shiny things if he had come along. It probably would have resulted in spending less money, but it would have not been as fun.

If your white one is anything like the red one I have, it is going to be fantastic. It hold the perfect amount from my Den's kyusu. The foot on the cup is great to hold in your hand and the little details from the wood ash makes it so much fun to just look at.

Thank you for the compliment, Bill. It was a pleasure to meet both you and your wife. I look forward to meeting you again at the other ceramics shows in the Syracuse area.

Jun 7th, '09, 09:19

Art show

by T-session » Jun 7th, '09, 09:19

Thanks, glad you are enjoying them. I was very lucky to have met Mary Ann. We are very supportive and all of each other. "Life is short, buy the shoes" as it says on a little saying thing she has. It will be the two year anniversary for us in a couple of months. (now what was the date???) just kidding!! I'll PM you with the date,( I think it's August 15 and 16) for the Pottery Fair in Cazenovia. It is a fantastic show and there's all kinds of things to do there... glaze your own Raku where you can watch it being fired... claytown... and sculpture gardens... it goes on. If you make it, I'll give you one of my new tea bowls from the next firing in a few weeks. Very different shapes... very nice to hold.

Best to you and yours, Bill

Jun 7th, '09, 09:58

by Dresden » Jun 7th, '09, 09:58

Whoa...

It would appear your etsy has been raided! :shock:

Ah well... You snooze, you loose... :(

Do you know when you'll be posting more items to your etsy?

Cheers,
Mike

PS: Congrats on what sounds like a successful show! 8)

Jun 7th, '09, 14:40

by T-session » Jun 7th, '09, 14:40

Hi Mike,

It looks like a ghost town, doesn't it?! I deactivated most of the listing for the Art show this weekend. Tonight, when we get back I'll reactive what I have left. We usually have about 3-6 people here at a time. It's been slowish but steady. Mary Ann has had a dozen and a half sales and a couple dozen for me. There are .... I'm back, I was going to say several people looking at the pottery, she bought the last rabbit vase. I'll have to make some more... :D We brought the lap top to the show today as Mary Ann is setting another artist up with an etsy account. I'll post later.

I'm afraid this is sounding more like a "blog" maybe, never had one, but I am responding to Mike's comment about my etsy site looking raided.
Bill

Jun 7th, '09, 20:12

new teapot

by T-session » Jun 7th, '09, 20:12

Back after a long weekend. Alot of fun though. I wanted to post another teapot.
This one is a bit smaller than the last and a different handle shape giving it a whole different dynamic.
My etsy site is back together, minus a few pieces. :wink:
I can't wait to get back to my studio and get throwing again.
I want to take some pictures of some dried,unfired pieces that I threw a couple of weeks ago and see what you folks think about their shape...the designs, etc. They will be going in the next firing.
Bill

Jun 8th, '09, 08:19

Re: Art show

by Aphroditea » Jun 8th, '09, 08:19

T-session wrote: the Pottery Fair in Cazenovia. It is a fantastic show and there's all kinds of things to do there... glaze your own Raku where you can watch it being fired... claytown... and sculpture gardens... it goes on.
Oh now I am truly jealous - that sounds like so much fun! Bill, do you do many shows a year? Also, you said in a much earlier post something about students...do you teach ceramics?

Jun 8th, '09, 08:34

Re: Art show

by iannon » Jun 8th, '09, 08:34

T-session wrote:the Pottery Fair in Cazenovia. It is a fantastic show and there's all kinds of things to do there... glaze your own Raku where you can watch it being fired... claytown... and sculpture gardens... it goes on.
Best to you and yours, Bill
I guess you would be a good one to ask this then.. I just went to a pottery festival here locally and did my own Raku firing piece. now I know they arent supposed to be food safe right? I liked the way my cup turned out so much I would love to be able to use it..is there anything you can seal the interior with to make it foodsafe then?

Jun 8th, '09, 08:59

Pottery fair,shows,teaching

by T-session » Jun 8th, '09, 08:59

Hi Aphroditea,
The Pottery fair is so much fun! It's a great show for pottery, but is also family oriented with things for the kids to do, like in claytown, glaze your own raku where they can watch their own piece be fired... they are fasinated with that, and the adults are usually very interested as well. If I may, (excuse my proper British politeness...) the website for my ceramic guild is www.ceramicguild.com and it will have pottery fair info on it. Anyone in the Central New York area might want to check it out.
As far as shows go, I did Art shows for 26 years or so, but unfortunately went through a divorce and the kids lived with me for a while... and I didn't do shows for about 10 years till the kids were all good, through college, except my youngest, that still lives with us, is 17. My other two are 24 and 22. They, my wife and all the family are my other loves in life, with pottery being a close 2rd. This year is my first year back. The website/internet thing is very new for me. I only started throwing on the wheel again in this last year. I used to do 9 shows a year, and was represented by 5 galleries. One gallery, that's no longer, use to sell my pottery as fast as I could make it!! Wood fire is new for me. I decided to go this direction as it was more "me". I'm a nature/outdoorsman. I made very attractive "blue flow" glaze items in an electric kiln before. Very predictable with a high success rate. With wood firing, you give up SO much control to the kiln...very exciting, and fustrating at times.
Students..., I've been an Art teacher for almost 30 years, I can retire in two, I'll be 55, and persue my Art full time. I'm almost excited. :wink: I teach middle school in an inner city school district. Shall we say "challenging" at times?? Some GREAT students here too though!!! Speaking of, I need to prep for them. They will be here in 20ish minutes. We are doing glazing today and Tuesday. I also teach them drawing, painting, ceramics and more... Thanks for asking. Bill

Jun 8th, '09, 09:07

raku

by T-session » Jun 8th, '09, 09:07

Hi iannon,
Raku is not food safe. The only safe thing you could do is refire with an "overglaze" but it will definately change the look alot!! Also, depending on the interior glazes, the overglaze might get some of the unsafe for ingestion oxides/colorants (copper/cobalt) leaching through. Also the cracks in raku allow mold type things to grow... I'm not an expert on raku, but know enough that I strongly believe this information is accurate.
My pleasure to be of some help. Bill

Jun 8th, '09, 11:15
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: new teapot

by Mrs. Chip » Jun 8th, '09, 11:15

T-session wrote:Back after a long weekend. Alot of fun though. I wanted to post another teapot.
This one is a bit smaller than the last and a different handle shape giving it a whole different dynamic.
My etsy site is back together, minus a few pieces. :wink:
I can't wait to get back to my studio and get throwing again.
I want to take some pictures of some dried,unfired pieces that I threw a couple of weeks ago and see what you folks think about their shape...the designs, etc. They will be going in the next firing.
Bill
Hi Bill, very nice pot! Congrats on your successful show, looking forward to seeing your new wares!

Sorry, for the delayed welcome, being married to the Mod has some disadvantages, such as not being able to get onto the computer since he sorta monopolizes it! :wink: Glad you are here :!: 8)

+ Post Reply