So how's she coming along Bill?
It's going great so far (other than a bout with a flu
), I'm done glazing, getting ready to clean the bottoms free of glaze, make some wadding and glue the wads on the feet. Just came in from working on the kiln. Checking the kiln over, adjusting the openings in the sutema (a bagwall of sorts at the rear of the chamber, separating it from the "colder" chimney. I want a little more pull across the floor ( I had a little too much originally so I installed this to help even out the kiln. It worked as I got within a half cone top to bottom and side to side (39" high and 54" wide) and approx. a cone and a half front to back (almost 5' long) So I made the lower openings approx. 15- 20% bigger and it should be spot on. I still adjust the active dampers all through the firing to have the flame run high or low depending on the ware's color. For example, if the middle is yellow and the top is yellow orange, I'll push in the dampers an inch or more to make the flame roll across the top of the chamber for an hour or so, then go on to what's needed next...
Then I will take about two days to load. So other than the flu stalling my progress for 4-5 days, I'm on schedule-ish. Excited to fire.