Dec 7th, '13, 16:06

Re: D. Michael Coffee (shyrabbit) Ceramics in Pagosa Springs, CO

by JRS22 » Dec 7th, '13, 16:06

My (first) Shyrabbit cup arrived today to choruses of ooh and aahs as we removed the tissue paper.

The cup is even more beautiful in person than in this excellent photo. The ridges are smooth and rounded to the touch. I tried it today with Wuyi oolong at 195° and 212° and my precious fingertips were protected from the heat.

I'll be watching the Shyrabbit Etsy page for more spiral cups.

Dec 9th, '13, 16:27

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Dec 9th, '13, 16:27

JRS22 wrote:My (first) Shyrabbit cup arrived today to choruses of ooh and aahs as we removed the tissue paper.

The cup is even more beautiful in person than in this excellent photo. The ridges are smooth and rounded to the touch. I tried it today with Wuyi oolong at 195° and 212° and my precious fingertips were protected from the heat.

I'll be watching the Shyrabbit Etsy page for more spiral cups.

Congratulations on the new cup. I lingered on the two "spiral" cups as well. I really enjoy the finish and the layers in the glaze.

For anyone interested I noticed today that Michael has put some beautiful new pieces up on his Etsy page: (http://www.etsy.com/shop/shyrabbit?ref= ... esc&page=1)

Dec 9th, '13, 16:30

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Dec 9th, '13, 16:30

debunix wrote:
茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote:What I appreciate about many, if not all, shyrabbit's pieces is their subtlety.
I agree entirely. I was just enjoying this little cup again two days ago....

It has an amazingly subtle but somehow brilliant and metallic finish. It's a great cup to relax with.
Debunix, really lovely cup. Also, nice picture! Photographed as it is, the cup has an almost antique feel. I showed my wife the picture and her first response was "Ohhh." :)

Dec 31st, '13, 22:55

by shyrabbit » Dec 31st, '13, 22:55

Hi All and Happy New Year,
I was going to post a new, end of the year piece, but I decided to show an older piece that I've shown here before...I selected this small piece for a few reasons. First, it's Simple. I'm planning to work simpler in the coming years. I will work to strip my work to its core, its essence. Second, I will continue to find ways to conserve. This piece was created from extruder scraps. I'm down to almost no waste in the studio, clay is recycled, the throwing slop is used to recycle clay scraps, I make smaller glaze test batches and bad glazes are saved and used for further experimentation, I only fire full kilns. I'm finding ways to minimize the materials I use when shipping pots. Third, the flower is my symbol for an object that is fully realized, doesn't need anything else, a pure expression of itself, Honest. I will be looking to my work to become more an expression of me, I will work to bare it all, to become fully realized. Fourth, Balance...I will work to find artistic balance in all things that I do. I will be working to balance my ceramics with my long neglected printmaking and to create a body of work the compares and contrasts my approach to both.

I didn't intend to make this a New Year's Resolution, but it turned out that way so I'll let it stand as such...Actually the first time I've ever made this type of resolution in nearly 60 years of opportunities... Thanks for reading this far..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... to_comment

Jan 5th, '14, 15:45

by shyrabbit » Jan 5th, '14, 15:45

Here's Today's Matcha Chawan from a collection of my work that I've decided to let go to another home. It's been about 22 years since it was made. It's glazed with Shino over Porcelain slip and then rubbed with Portland Cement. It's the cement that rendered the reddish color in the image...Thanks for looking.
Michael

This piece can be found in my etsy shop with extra images...
T07a LOW.jpg
T07a LOW.jpg (22.11 KiB) Viewed 2180 times

Jan 5th, '14, 21:52

by debunix » Jan 5th, '14, 21:52

茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote:Photographed as it is, the cup has an almost antique feel. I showed my wife the picture and her first response was "Ohhh." :)
A few more shots from a sunny afternoon in the garden....where I oohed and aahed over it all over again....I love the subtle mixture of matte and glossy

(it's holding hot chocolate, not tea--it often does double-duty this way)

and it is plenty bright and colorful in places

Jan 5th, '14, 22:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 5th, '14, 22:41

Michael, enjoyed seeing some of your older works here and there (etsy)! This Chawan, hard to believe it has been around that long, looks like you just took it out of the kiln.

Also enjoyed reading your "updates!"

Love the newer satin celadon smaller cups like this one ... Image

Jan 7th, '14, 19:40

by shyrabbit » Jan 7th, '14, 19:40

How to make a Chasen...I found this quite interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgjBrDvtYBk

Jan 20th, '14, 12:50

by debunix » Jan 20th, '14, 12:50

Some really nice new listings on the Etsy this morning, including this red/purple/turquoise beauty.....

Jan 20th, '14, 13:47

by kikula » Jan 20th, '14, 13:47

Knew you'd spot that, too. :) Some really beautiful items.

Jan 20th, '14, 14:12

by debunix » Jan 20th, '14, 14:12

I have lots of moments for sneak peeks for things like this while waiting on hold, waiting for something to load, or open, or close, etc....too much of my working day spent at the computer!

And here's another wonderful confection of a yunomi

(and more are popping up as I write, lovely lovely stuff)

Jan 20th, '14, 15:49

by JRS22 » Jan 20th, '14, 15:49

debunix wrote:Some really nice new listings on the Etsy this morning, including this red/purple/turquoise beauty.....
I've already marked 2 yunomi as favorites and I'm supposed to be halting purchases until I get some work done in my kitchen. Maybe someone else will buy them before I make up my mind!

My 2 Shyrabbit cups are already tied with my Seong-il cups after just a few weeks of drinking and admiring.

Jan 20th, '14, 16:41

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jan 20th, '14, 16:41

Gosh! You all have to stop doing this, though I too have been guilty of linking to beautiful teaware myself; there are some really wonderful pieces up there and my teaware budget is "over budget." I see no teavil, I see no teavil, I see no teavil. :lol:

Debunix, the first one that drew my eye seems to have your name with it. Congratulations! BEAUTIFUL and exceptionally rich piece! I look forward to seeing shots of that piece in action. Beyond the otherworldy glazing, the piece has a very attractive silhouette.

To Shyrabbit, Congratulations on these beautiful creative outcomes!!

Jan 20th, '14, 18:07

by debunix » Jan 20th, '14, 18:07

I figure if I link them, someone else may buy them before I break down and do so...but this time one of the pieces posted as I was linking was one of those that leapt into my cart before I knew what had happened.

Many of Michael's pieces take quite beautifully to non-tea uses, which makes them harder to refuse than some of the lovely crackly pieces that aren't really safe for other beverages.

Jan 20th, '14, 21:47

by kikula » Jan 20th, '14, 21:47

Beautiful choice Debunix! I'm spent out and am awaiting divers package(s!!), will have to wait for Michael's next firing. TeaArt, ya!

+ Post Reply